Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Choice of City

Registered
    Jul 2006

Choice of City

If you could pick any city in the world to live in, what city would it be? and why?
    Today's classic was yesterday's innovation. -Landry

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Village of Grosse Pointe Shores, its the Beverly Hills of Detroit.

Here is a little house that sold for $3.5 million.
    http://grossepointehomes.com/homesde...?propertyid=89
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The island of Saba in the West Indies. 88 degrees everyday, 0% Employment, substinence economy, virtually no government, no tourists.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Any city with a large (at least a couple of sq. miles) car-free zone.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I am of the school of thought that I would like to live either in a large city center or a small self-suffient outpost sort of town.

Seattle or Portland can fill the city side.

Inuvik, NWT or similar can be the other side of things.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I couldn't narrow it to one.

large US city: San Fran
    Small US City: Jackson Hole

International: Barcelona

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I could see myself in Vancouver or nearby Victoria, British Columbia real easy. Lots of natural beauty, on the ocean, multicultural, culture & arts facilities, public transit, nice people...

If we're talking smaller towns in the US, I've always had a facination with Montana and could see myself in a place like Billings, Helena or Missoula.

Mackinac Island, MI would be ideal for me, even though I'd have to put up with tourists.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 26 Sep 2006 at 4:19 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman GŲring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    In the U.S., Thompson Falls, MT. It is gawd-durn purty country. Still, I love Helena.

In the world, some city on the South Island of New Zealand. Christchurch, perhaps.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

It's gotta be the great city of New York. The Big Apple! I wouldn't leave here for a billion dollars.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    I am in the US, it would have to be in Cali. I would probley choose to live in Santa Monica.
    -Great climate year round.
    -On the Beach.
    -Great public transportation (Big Blue Bus!).
    -I love going to shows and there are so many great venues.
    -It is the peoples repbulic
    -Sports, Go clippers and Bruins!
    -You can get in your can and drive for 2 hours and be at the desert, the beach or the snow. All in the same season.

If I were living aboard I would choose Auckland, NZ
    -English, English, English
    -Pretty much all of the same reasons I like Santa Monica and California-the diverse scenery
    -Auckland felt like the safest big city I have ever walked through at 3am

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Big American cities:

1. San Francisco definitely.
    2. Second choice: probably Boston,
    3. or if trends continue, maybe Center City Philadelphia.
    4. If it wasn't for the awful midwestern climate and the lack of an appealing rural hinterland, Chicago is still an awesome city.

Smaller American cities:

I still like Charlottesville, VA, despite the planning horror that is Virginia (sorry, Virginia ))
    Portsomouth, NH-love the history, the slightly granola-ish vibe, the coastal location, proximity to Boston and Portland, Maine.
    I love Sonoma, CA as a smaller city/town. Lovely setting, love the wine industry, the food, the architecture, the proximity to other things, the great bicycling.
    San Luis Obispo, CA. Perfect, perfect climate, beautiful setting. Close to the ocean. Strong downtown. A little isolated, perhaps.
    Santa Barbara-perfect climate, beautiful downtown, wine country nearby. A little snooty, elitist and too close to the whole "Hollywood" vibe, but still...

International

Wellington, NZ appeals to me somewhat.
    Sydney as a big city looks pretty darn cool.
    Given global warming, maybe Helsinki or Stockholm if they don't drown.
    Gritty port city Genova really intrigues me, as does Tornio and Fiorenza.
    Finally, I am really intrigued by some of the economic and political concepts practived in Emilio Romagna, so I would have to add in Bologna

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by New York, New York View post
    It's gotta be the great city of New York. The Big Apple! I wouldn't leave here for a billion dollars.
    I am with you. New York seems like an awesome place. I still have yet to visit and perhaps study there for a couple of years.

Quote Originally posted by Davidpcvsamoa View post
    I am in the US, it would have to be in Cali. I would probley choose to live in Santa Monica.
    -Great climate year round.
    -On the Beach.
    -Great public transportation (Big Blue Bus!).
    -I love going to shows and there are so many great venues.
    -It is the peoples repbulic
    -Sports, Go clippers and Bruins!
    -You can get in your can and drive for 2 hours and be at the desert, the beach or the snow. All in the same season.

If I were living aboard I would choose Auckland, NZ
    -English, English, English
    -Pretty much all of the same reasons I like Santa Monica and California-the diverse scenery
    -Auckland felt like the safest big city I have ever walked through at 3am
    Santa Monica's nice. But LA's just not my kind of place. It just seemed kind of fake and had no character. That's what I love about the northeast. Everything has character here. Don't get me wrong, LA's a great city, but it's just not my kind of city. I like to be able to walk around and see beautiful old neighborhoods like these: Here's some great photos of NYC's neighborhoods:
    http://www.ronsaari.com/stockImages/...ghborhoods.php. That's just my opinion though.But I love NY, theold, charming neighborhoods with never-ending density. But please, don't get me wrong. LA's an awesome city...and I mean AWESOME. We'd be a boring country without LA.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Santa Monica's nice. But LA's just not my kind of place. It just seemed kind of fake and had no character. That's what I love about the northeast. Everything has character here. Don't get me wrong, LA's a great city, but it's just not my kind of city. I like to be able to walk around and see beautiful old neighborhoods like these: Here's some great photos of NYC's neighborhoods:
    http://www.ronsaari.com/stockImages/...ghborhoods.php. That's just my opinion though.But I love NY, theold, charming neighborhoods with never-ending density. But please, don't get me wrong. LA's an awesome city...and I mean AWESOME. We'd be a boring country without LA.

Very good pictures. That just encourages me more to finish school in New York.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    Santa Monica's nice. But LA's just not my kind of place. It just seemed kind of fake and had no character.
    Respect, I definitely understand. Itís not for everyone and from most planners perspective LA is a nightmare. Sometimes I needed a break when I lived there but it was easy to get a change of scenery. There are plenty of "fake" people in LA but I donít see you could say the city of LA is fake or has no character. Just to name a few, the Barrio of Boyle Heights, the LBGT community of West Holly, Little Ethiopia, the Skid Row in downtown LA and Thai town could not be more real or diverse.

I moved to LA for college and I had the chance to take an undergraduate urban planning course. The main project for the course was to thoroughly research a neighborhood and present information to the class. It was eye opening to me to learn about all the different neighborhoods. I have fond memories of one student who brought in a minister from the Rastafarian Church (which the main influence in his chosen neighborhood). The Rastafarian minister took over the class and wouldnít stop talking about his church or the incense he sold. I still remember the "WTF is going on here" look on the professorís face when this friendly, incense smelling, dreadlocked, black man took over his class.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Returned from a visit to New York and absolutely fell in love with the city. I grew up close to Chicago, so I always thought that Chicago was my favorite city. I would have to contend that New York just jumped the list to number one. If I only could have the means to live in Manhattan near Central Park. The thought of not owning a car is very appealing; I am all for mass transportation.

As for a small city, any city on Maui (such as Lahaina, Wailu, Hana) would please me just fine.

Haven't been to Colorado, but I have a feeling that Denver/Colorado Springs would rank pretty high.

Quote Originally posted by Davidpcvsamoa View post
    Respect, I definitely understand. Itís not for everyone and from most planners perspective LA is a nightmare. Sometimes I needed a break when I lived there but it was easy to get a change of scenery. There are plenty of "fake" people in LA but I donít see you could say the city of LA is fake or has no character. Just to name a few, the Barrio of Boyle Heights, the LBGT community of West Holly, Little Ethiopia, the Skid Row in downtown LA and Thai town could not be more real or diverse.

I moved to LA for college and I had the chance to take an undergraduate urban planning course. The main project for the course was to thoroughly research a neighborhood and present information to the class. It was eye opening to me to learn about all the different neighborhoods. I have fond memories of one student who brought in a minister from the Rastafarian Church (which the main influence in his chosen neighborhood). The Rastafarian minister took over the class and wouldnít stop talking about his church or the incense he sold. I still remember the "WTF is going on here" look on the professorís face when this friendly, incense smelling, dreadlocked, black man took over his class.
    Lol.

LA's beautiful. Great scenery, interesting people(like NYC ), beautiful weather, beautiful homes, and a lot more. LA's getting better public transportation, building up a lot more, and crime's decreasing. Soon, LA will be one REALLY DENSE city like NYC and Chi-town. Just give it some time. It hasn't been around as long as NYC or Chicago but in 10 years, LA's skyline will be 1000 times bigger than it is now. I can't wait to see LA 10 years from now. When I said "fake," I meant the architecture was boring and stuff like that. But last time I was out there they were putting up some beautiful new buidlings. LA's "boring" architecture won't be so boring 10 years from now. LA has a great future ahead of it.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    San Francisco. I'm gay and have grown up in Scranton, PA, which is probably among the most culturally undiverse and homophobic urbanized regions in the nation! I'd just like to live, even for just a few days, among "my kind" so that I could see what it would be like for once to be accepted in society. For all of Scranton's positives, many of them are still overshadowed for me by the locals' udder disdain for tolerance of others' beliefs, ethnicities, and cultures. Besides, I haven't been on a date in two years; I need to find someone!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 1:28 PM
  2. What school? Choice: NYU, USC, Pratt
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Apr 2012, 6:41 PM
  3. Help: career choice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Apr 2006, 11:03 AM