Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Departmental Prof Devt Training/Travel Policy?

Registered
    Dec 2006

Departmental Prof Devt Training/Travel Policy?

I'm developing a draft policy for departmental professional development training and travel, and would be very interested in hearing what communities have put together. Basically, my department has always been very intuitive with it, and it hasn't worked out well at all. Our department head is leaving, and we're trying to get a head-start on making the policy more equitable and inclusive to both the senior and junior level planning staff.

Any assistance you can provide (even up to and including PM'ing me the policy you have) would be very helpful. Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by GB1 View post
    I'm developing a draft policy for departmental professional development training and travel, and would be very interested in hearing what communities have put together. Basically, my department has always been very intuitive with it, and it hasn't worked out well at all. Our department head is leaving, and we're trying to get a head-start on making the policy more equitable and inclusive to both the senior and junior level planning staff.

Any assistance you can provide (even up to and including PM'ing me the policy you have) would be very helpful. Thanks.
    we have a small department, 3 prof. planners, so our policy is pretty much "go to the local APA conference and whatever else before the budget runs out".
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    In the jurisdictions I've worked, a specific amount has be established for each planner for local training and management types get amounts to cover state and national conferences.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    In the jurisdictions I've worked, a specific amount has be established for each planner for local training and management types get amounts to cover state and national conferences.
    Thanks for both replies. We have 16 professional-series planners, and will have at least 3 new ones after the start of the year... So, what's the amount for each planner, per year?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Inter-departmental beefs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Sep 2012, 1:01 PM
  2. Departmental policies regarding attendance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 Feb 2010, 2:14 PM
  3. Peg the Prof.
    Friday Afternoon Club