Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

Registered
    Mar 2004

2007 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread!

With only a short four months to go before pitchers and catchers report and the spring sap already starting to flow (in some veins, at least), I want to hear some goooood garbage on the new season!

Some top quality beer and bratwursts for me when I see the best!

Mike

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

An Early Look

Will the real Detroit Tigers step forward? The Tigers that dominated everybody (except the Yankees and White Sox) in the first 3/4 of 2006.....or the Tigers that played sub-par baseball the balance of the season (except for the League Championship games)?

You know Jim Leyland will work on defense, strengthen his pitcher's ability to catch a hard hit baseball and throw it in the right place. Will he trade a strong young arm for a power hitter? Not sure, yet. Casey showed some power late in the season but one still wonders if he is a full-season power hitter.

The club had great balance in their line-up.....relatively strong batting averages and a number of guys who hit 20+ homers. Pudge will be back.....he will be hungry to erase our memories of his slump in the play-offs. He will continue to provide good advice for a pitching staff that is pretty good.

The Tigers are in the same position that the Cleveland Indians were in about a dozen or so years ago. The Indians had a strong minor-league organization that provided a steady stream of quality players. The Triple A farm club for Detroit is Toledo.....the Mud Hens! The Hens just completed winning their second straight International League Championship. A whole slew of current Tigers earned their stripes in downtown Toledo, at the stadium considered the best in the minor leagues.
    _____

Yankees will be back.....you know that a pixxed-off Steinhitler will buy more platers.....propbably strong arms. Boston will go back to being a contender. Toronto will be improved.

Tigers will have to battle White Sox and Twins for their division. Not sure if Kansas City can improve enough to pass Cleveland.

Oakland will be back.

In that "other" league.....Astros, Mets, Phily.....all will be good. Cardinals certainly will have the desire to defend their title.....are they good enough for another run? Too soon to call. Way too soon.
    _____

Early call (that I reserve the right to change next February and March).....

Yankees beat Astros in Series. (And I hate the Yankees.)
    _____

Go Tigers In 2007 !!!

Granderbear

Edit: Will Florida be playing in Vegas? Interesting to see what shakes down.....
    Last edited by Bear Up North; 28 Oct 2006 at 5:50 PM. Reason: Franchise Gambles On A Move
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    <snip>

In that "other" league.....Astros, Mets, Phily.....all will be good. Cardinals certainly will have the desire to defend their title.....are they good enough for another run? Too soon to call. Way too soon.
    _____

Early call (that I reserve the right to change next February and March).....

Yankees beat Astros in Series. (And I hate the Yankees.)
    _____
    Four of the World Champion Cardinals' starting pitchers are free agents (Marquis; Mulder; Suppan; and, Weaver); Belliard (2B) is a free agent that says he wants to go back to Cleveland; the Cards have an option on Jim Edmonds (CF) but he had a down year (although he's a true leader on the team). If the Cards are going to defend they are going to have to make some major moves. Duncan (RF) needs to play lots and lots and lots of outfield in winter league before I'd turn him loose out there (as such a defensive liability -- but he's learning after being a 1B most of his career). Encarnacion was a disappointment (probably trying too hard, I'd give him another year to see what happens).

I love hot stove baseball
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Somebody can have Marquis. He really let us down this season. I won't make any predictions regarding record. This past season, I told the co-workers at the old job that St. Louis would go 108-54. We came real close to hitting that mark.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    SF Giants. Bruce Bochy. That's what I'm talking about. Mark my words.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Are the Cubs mathematically out of it yet?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    A tip of the cap to the redbirds fans. Your guys did good. ( A die-hard Cubs fan eating his heart out)
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    No - their Magic Number is 162.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Major League Baseball Thread - 2007 Edition

ZG and I are making final plans to catch some spring training games next month in the Grapefruit League. Unfortunately, the Giants are in the Cactus League in Arizona.

We're thinking about making a run to see the Yankees during the APA conference.

Ya'll catching any games this season? And your predictions for division winners, league champs, and world series winner?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    23 days til pitchers and catchers report!!!

Lining up my Braves weekends now and reviewing a schedule. My brother and I are talking about a Pittsburgh weekend as well.

Too early for predictions in my book. I think the Indians have made so me good off-season moves (and have been quiet about it), Toronto spent alot of money, Cubs have brought in Soriano and others, and I hope the Braves moves in their bulpen work this year (sorry is my bias showing?). Who knows right now, I'm just happy it's getting ready to begin.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Shot in the dark World Series prediction: Red Sox over Mets in 7.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hmmmmm, Will the Brewers make the playoffs this season....

We can always dream.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    Not until April 3rd...
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The Triple A farm club for Detroit is Toledo.....the Mud Hens! The Hens just completed winning their second straight International League Championship. A whole slew of current Tigers earned their stripes in downtown Toledo, at the stadium considered the best in the minor leagues.
    And the Tiger's A minor league club is the West Michigan Whitecaps, playing at beautiful Fifth Third Ballpark here in Grand Rapids. Among others who made it to the Tigers, we claim the best third baseman in the major leagues, Brandon Inge.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If any of you are at Joker Marchant Stadium (Lakeland FL) on March 22nd (Section 209) or 24th (Section 205) or at Chain of Lakes Park (Winter Haven FL) on March 23rd (Section L), stop by and have a beer with the ZG and me.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I'll take this opportunity to chime in about my Minnesota Twins.

They are going to miss Radke and Francisco Liriano's career is probably over. Nevertheless, the Cy Young/Batting Champion/MVP team should have no problem going over .500, even in what is going to be the best divsion in baseball. We know about the Tigers and White Sox and I think Cleveland is ready to bust out. Those four teams will all finish at lest .500 by beating up on many AL teams and kicking tail in interleage.

The Twins will fall just short of the postseason as they will be unable to field quality starting pitching too often.

World Series:

White Sox over Dodgers
    Fighting congestion by widening roads is like fighting obesity by buying larger clothes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    An agent of the Federal gov't delivered tickets to three spring training baseball games to my humble abode today. Yes!!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The Rangers are holding a press conference for their new acquisition on a MINOR league contract. The player's name ... Sammy Sosa. That's right the same guy who forgot how to speak english in front of congress a couple years back. Do ya think he'll be giving high fives and chest taps to Barry Bonds like he did with Mark McGwire a few years back?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    3 days until pitchers and catchers report!!!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    This season is an end of an era as this will be the final year of TBS showing Atlanta Braves baseball. If Hudson can find a fastball, Hampton can avoid another prolonged series on the DL then the Braves could start another string of post season appearances...if not then its going to be an October or cheering against the NY teams.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    This season is an end of an era as this will be the final year of TBS showing Atlanta Braves baseball. If Hudson can find a fastball, Hampton can avoid another prolonged series on the DL then the Braves could start another string of post season appearances...if not then its going to be an October or cheering against the NY teams.
    Brocktoon - I noticed in another thread that you labeled yourself as a loyal Braves fan - please continue to contribute to this throughout spring training and the season as it devolves into the "Bubba Gripes About the Braves While Planit Remains Eternally Optimistic Thread".

The Braves' bullpen looks solid, but the starting rotation has a lot of questions, and the right side of the infield is just frightening.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Colorado Rockies are aiming for the .500 mark this year!!! (No one cares here or in the owners' box ... ) As usualy, they let their best pitcher go, and have done very little in the offseason except for unload a record losing pitcher from the Orioles. Oh, and almost traded Todd Helton. (Kind of good...)

My friend got traded from the Cubs to the White Sox, keep an eye on Aardsma in the bullpen. If you happen upon him at a game, tell him ZMan says "Hello"

The Cubs got some good players this offseason. The Denver Post picked them third in the division in yesterday's preview though. We'll see, but as I have focused more on them the past couple years, I'll wait until they "fizzle out" ...and yes be pissed off about it.

The Cards suck (eventhough they won...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Some top quality beer and bratwursts for me when I see the best!

Mike
    Off-topic:
    Are you from Appleton? I think the former Razorback baseball coach Norm DeBriyn is from up that way. An outstanding coach and all around guy...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The Braves are done for. It looks like the sale to Liberty Media, who is buying them solely as an accounting device to avoid paying capital gains taxes on Time-Warner stock, is about to go through. Liberty has no real desire to own and operate the Braves but they have to take them to get the tax breaks. Expect to see them cut expenses, especially in salaries, everywhere they can so keep this "asset" from ever costing them money. Five years from now when they can resell the Braves without incurring the tax liability they're trying to avoid, the Braves will be the new Marlins.

Of course, I could be wrong about this. Liberty might want to plow lots of money into the team in hopes of making it a more valuable property to later sell but if history is any indication, it is best to gut the franchise of its high price players and other expenses so the books look good when it is time to sell.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    The Braves are done for. It looks like the sale to Liberty Media, who is buying them solely as an accounting device to avoid paying capital gains taxes on Time-Warner stock, is about to go through. Liberty has no real desire to own and operate the Braves but they have to take them to get the tax breaks. Expect to see them cut expenses, especially in salaries, everywhere they can so keep this "asset" from ever costing them money. Five years from now when they can resell the Braves without incurring the tax liability they're trying to avoid, the Braves will be the new Marlins.
    Oh, hey... the Phillies are buyin'.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 233
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 1:12 PM
  2. Replies: 329