Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oh the Humanity! Global Warming in Mars!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

Oh the Humanity! Global Warming in Mars!

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture05718.html

[Scaremonger_Enviromentalist]Humanity is so evil that not content with ruining just one planet, Earth, they had to send polluting SUV rovers to Mars and now Mars is also experiencing Global Warming! The latest rise in temperatures in mars has been catastrophic and it will only get worse, Dust storms will get stronger and with the polar ice melting who knows what may happen... Martians will be doomed forever![/Scaremonger_Enviromentalist]

Now seriously... thank you NASA for sending missions to mars so we can also see that other planets are also experiencing Climate Change. I wonder why... maybe it's the Sun that is on an exceptional high activity period like other satellites also show.

I'm not saying that Climate Change in Earth isn't partly our fault, it probably is, but the Sun is the major player here.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Global Warming??? It is snowing here... in APRIL!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Isn't it supposed to snow in April up there? Hell, I am not surprised if we get snow in June here and that is despite global warming.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Yep. I think the fact that there's global warming occurring in other planets, where there are no humans, SUVs, or industrial polluters pretty much points in the direction that global warming, global cooling, etc. is caused by natural processes...as it has always been!!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Yep. I think the fact that there's global warming occurring in other planets, where there are no humans, SUVs, or industrial polluters pretty much points in the direction that global warming, global cooling, etc. is caused by natural processes...as it has always been!!
    I'm still waiting with baited breath for the Great Ice Age that the Chicken-Littles were promising back in the 1980s.

Anyways, ISTR from my history readings that during the Middle Ages (the 10th-12th Centuries or so) wine grapes were grown in southern England and the Vikings practiced subsistence agriculture in the shoreline areas of Greenland. Then the Earth cooled....

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    I'll try to post more about this book I am reading in the book club, but on the topic of global warming...anyone read Elizabeth Kolbert's Field Notes from a Catastrophe? It's part of the Campus Reading Proejct that UAlbany sponsors. I thought that global warming was just that, our planet getting warmer in general but the whole concept goes further to effect changes in the climate in both directions...equillibirum really.

I agree that climate change is most likely just a natrual process that occurs everywhere. It's crazy for anyone to make the assumption that rovers on Mars are adding to Martian global warming. I'd hate to think about what we've done to the moon then by leaving some things behind from past luner missions...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We had the warmest March in 93 years.

No doubt the warming trend on Mars is due to the Guvenator messing with Mars's climate in "Total Recall."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Off-topic:
    Snow on a particular day at a particular locale is a weather-related phenomenon. Glaciers melting at a thousand different location around the earth is a climate-related phenomenon. Global warming refers to a change in climate

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Snow on a particular day at a particular locale is a weather-related phenomenon. Glaciers melting at a thousand different location around the earth is a climate-related phenomenon. Global warming refers to a change in climate
    Thank you.

In reading the abstract about climate change on Mars, it was my impression that the authors were not saying this was an unusual phenomenon, but part of the planet's regular cycles that have been observed over hundreds of years:

Decadal variations of the martian surface albedo are generally attributed to removal and deposition of small amounts of relatively bright dust on the surface. Large swaths of the surface (up to 56 million km2) have been observed to darken or brighten by 10 per cent or more3, 4, 5.
    The researchers were seeking to understand the processes by which these (regular and predictable) albedo changes take place and their relationship to wind and dust lifting. There is nothing in the article that suggests this is an unusual phenomenon out of line with previous observations.

It is unknown, however, how these albedo changes affect wind circulation, dust transport and the feedback between these processes and the martian climate.
    The article presents predictions (based on the hundreds of years of observation as well as more recent evidence) about how they expect things to change in the near future. This is based on it being a PREDICTABLE cycle, not a recent phenomenon that would negate the nature of climate change on planet earth.

I am continually surprised by the number of people here who discount the thousand plus peer reviewed articles in scientific journals that suggest that the planet is warming and that human activity is a significant contributing factor.

Still, you all are entitled to your opinions...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 11:05 AM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Oct 2007, 1:41 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 03 Feb 2007, 8:59 AM
  4. Global Warming?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7