Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving North!

Registered
    Jul 2002

Moving North!

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Off-topic:

Huh? What? Have I missed some announcement somewhere???
    In response to Gedunker's question in another thread... I think I mentioned my move in another thread a while back, but no I haven't "announced" my plans so here's the low-down:

I decided it was time for a new adventure so I applied for a work permit for Canada, which came through in February. I decided Vancouver sounded like a pretty good place to live, so I booked my tickets and I set off one week from today! The permit entitles me to a one year visa.

I don't have a job lined up but a former employer has an office there and I've made contact with the manager who is happy to meet with me for a chat, so that's a start.

I don't know anyone in Vancouver, but it turns out my Canadian aunty (by marriage) has two nephews there so she's put me in touch and one of them is going to put me up for a few days while I get settled.

So I've been busy throwing stuff out and selling things.. major one I still need to do is sell my car but I'm hopeful to get that done this week.

I have moments of asking myself 'what on earth am I doing??' as I love my city and I have some great friends here but I'm really looking forward to the challenge of starting fresh and getting to know a new city. And travelling around! Most of my friends here are from overseas and it seems like every young Kiwi does an OE at some stage (overseas experience) so I thought it was about time I got out of my comfort zone and set off for some new adventures! It seemed like a good time to travel more, while I don't have any responsibilities like a house or kids or anything.

Why Vancouver? I keep hearing great things about it - how beautiful it is, how there are lots of outdoor activities, how it's consistently voted one of the most liveable cities... but I haven't been there before so any tips for things to see and do and good places to live (or avoid) will be most gratefully received!

It's autumn here now and getting colder... so I can't wait to switch from the southern hemisphere to the north for spring and then another summer!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ah, the mystery finally solved! Good for you, you will have a great time trying out a new place. Just save some $$ so you can travel to some lae-fests!

Ahhh, to be young, foot-loose and fancy-free again! My mom did something very similar, coming from DK to the US and not knowing a soul here. It's going to be a great OE for you and you'll have a lifetime of fantastic memories, I'm sure!

Thanks for the update. Hmmm, now to plan a PACNWLaefest???

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Ahhh, the advantages of living in a Commonwealth country. It's going to be an incredible and exciting adventure for you. While you're here, don't miss some of the cities in the Pacific Northwest region of the US; Seattle and especially Portland.

Think you'll be able to make it to Grand Rapids for Stanfest? It's only a five or six day drive!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    WOW! What an adventure! Congrats and good luck!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Can't wait to hear from you once you arrive! Hopefully we will see you again sooner rather than later!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Great Idea! Vancouver is a fantastic city.

Hit up some of the hole-in-the-wall Japanese food places along Robson Street for me, will ya?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Congratulations and enjoy Vancouver!

Although my visa situation is a bit different, feel free to contact me regarding any curiosities of the Canadian immigration system. I've gained lots of experience in that area in the last 18 months.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Good luck and enjoy your time up there. Vancouver is a beautiful city and I hope you enjoy everything it has to offer.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Thanks for all the good wishes!

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    While you're here, don't miss some of the cities in the Pacific Northwest region of the US; Seattle and especially Portland.
    Yes I'm already making plans to visit Seattle and Portland! Can't wait!
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Think you'll be able to make it to Grand Rapids for Stanfest? It's only a five or six day drive!
    Errr, can I get back to you on that one?
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Hit up some of the hole-in-the-wall Japanese food places along Robson Street for me, will ya?
    Thanks for the tip, will do!
    Quote Originally posted by geobandito View post
    feel free to contact me regarding any curiosities of the Canadian immigration system.
    Thanks, I may take you up on this. I'm open to the possibility of an extended stay if I really like it, but haven't really looked into immigration requirements yet.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congratulations on the awesome move! Now we won't have to yell so loud across that blue Pacific.

This Bear has not been to Vancouver, but Seattle and Portland have both been "beared". And this Summer Katie and I are flying to Portland to see my son and his family, now residents of suburban Portland.

Congrats, again !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It sounds like the perfect opportunity for a Laefest, Canadian style.

The future Mrs. Cardinal has a conference scheduled in Vancouver in August. I am planning to use my frequent flyer miles and free hotel nights to join her.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moving Pictures
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jul 2009, 1:27 PM
  2. Moving??
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 22 Jun 2006, 10:31 AM
  3. moving to L.A