Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Householder wind turbines in the US; help!

Householder wind turbines in the US; help!

To all across the pond,

So us in the UK are looking at changes to legislation to renewable energy development. Currently any wind turbine needs planning permission but permitted development rights are being drawn up to allow householders to erect them without this.

I am looking at using this in my dissertation and wondered what the deal was over in the US. I understand California is leading the way with such things. Could anybody give me a stear in the right direction with regards to these issues?

Thanks

George

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've been approached by a reseller of these single-site wind generators. They still require 1/2 acre lots to work optimally.

Our residential district height limit prohibits their use. I may propose a specific amendment for these wind turbines. If something changes, I'll post.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Please tell us a bit more on the focus of your dissertation. I've consulted with a rural community to help them draft into their zoning ordinance allowing household-scale wind turbines. They were permitted in certain zoning districts, with required setbacks from property lines and structures, and a height limit.

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas? View post
    Please tell us a bit more on the focus of your dissertation. I've consulted with a rural community to help them draft into their zoning ordinance allowing household-scale wind turbines. They were permitted in certain zoning districts, with required setbacks from property lines and structures, and a height limit.
    Hi.

Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the delay.

In the UK we have national planning policy in relation to all development. Is this the same for the states or can specific states, cities have their own legislation?
    There is a move in the pipeline for small scale turbines, such as 15m masts supporting the blades to be allowed under permitted development, as in they do not need to apply for planning permission, but this would depend on their land designation (conservation area.....) and siting within their land. Is there anything comparable with the US.

I'm sorry I see to be vague but I really know very little about US planning policy and I'm not sure how different it is to the UK's. Unfortunatly my Brother lives in California but has no idea!

Thanks

George

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In Michigan, local municipalities through zoning have the power to regular wind farms as a land use. But House Bill 4254 of 2007 may put the kibosh on that.

OK, just had a look at it, if I read it correctly, there is no specific distance it has to be from someone else's land or a highway. Here the legislation is very clear with regards to permitted development whether it is 2meters or 20meters!

From this I would conclude that it is up to the state to dictate planning policy, very different from here, but considering one of your states is the size of our country, it makes sense!

So how are renewable energies received in the US, they are taking off here and being advertised with the tag of self-sufficiency. Solar panels seem to cover many new houses (ironic considering our weather!) and wind turbines are popping up in people’s gardens.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In my fair state of Wisconsin, locl municipalities are forbidden from regulating them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Urban wind turbines
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 20 Jul 2011, 6:24 PM
  2. Wind turbines on billboards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 23 Aug 2010, 11:36 AM
  3. Wind Turbines
    Land Use and Zoning