Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 273

Thread: 2007 College Football Thread

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mr. Cool Ice
    Posts
    4,161

    2007 College Football Thread

    What say you oh throbbing brain??

    USC?
    West Virginia??

    Sentimental Favorites Boise State, V Tech, Rutgers?

    Will Temple win a game??

    It all starts Thursday night, and i am so freaking excited!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    What say you oh throbbing brain??

    USC?
    West Virginia??

    Sentimental Favorites Boise State, V Tech, Rutgers?

    Will Temple win a game??

    It all starts Thursday night, and i am so freaking excited!
    UW Wisconsin is going to pummel those in the Big 10 and then smash whoever they get to play for the National Tittle!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  3. #3
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,005
    Blog entries
    2
    I have the feeling that I will be in for a looooong year this season...

    Regardless...

    I will still say it proudly...

    GOIRISH!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,306
    Some interesting inter-sectional games to start the season - Oklahoma State - Georgia, Tennessee - Cal, Georgia Tech - Notre Dame (I'll be rooting for the officiating crew in that one).

    Is Southern Cal still paying their players?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Greenescapist's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    UW Wisconsin is going to pummel those in the Big 10 and then smash whoever they get to play for the National Tittle!
    I sure hope so! UW has some tough games on their plate and some issues due to starting with a new quarterback.

    I'm also looking at BC- tough, tough schedule there, but they have an experienced QB and a great new coach.

  6. #6
    Off-topic:
    Just wondering whether Bobby Petrino misses college football about now. Joey Harrington, bwahahahahahahahahah.


    Look for Louisville to be as good as last year -- a healthy Brian Brohm all year and several great receivers. Defense is certainly going to be good as well.

    Tough situation in Indiana with the loss of head coach Terry "Hep" Hoepner to a brain tumor, but the Hoosiers will play some exciting offense again this year -- and they may need to if the defense isn't improved.

    Looks as if Ball State has set itself up with its usual schedule of tough non-conference games: at (20)Nebraska, at Navy, at Illinois (wags are picking the Illini to be much improved), and at Indiana. Doesn't anybody want to visit scenic Muncie?

  7. #7
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Looks as if Ball State has set itself up with its usual schedule of tough non-conference games: at (20)Nebraska, at Navy, at Illinois (wags are picking the Illini to be much improved), and at Indiana. Doesn't anybody want to visit scenic Muncie?
    You can always count on ol' BSU getting pummeled by a few non-conference baddies every year.

    Honestly, I have no idea who's any good in the college ranks this year....I haven't followed college football the last couple years outside of Div. 1-AA UNH (my boss' son is playing for them this year).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  8. #8
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,127
    Michigan will win it ALL!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mr. Cool Ice
    Posts
    4,161
    USC is clearly the team to beat, but I just cant find myself to rrot for them. WVU and LSU are going to be tough.

    ...and all this means...that Jeff only has to wait 1 more season until I get to go to the 2009 National Championship game!!

    Going to the Orange Bowl again this year, unless it looks like it will be a great big giant suckfest like last years.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    I sure hope so! UW has some tough games on their plate and some issues due to starting with a new quarterback.

    I'm also looking at BC- tough, tough schedule there, but they have an experienced QB and a great new coach.
    I don't think we need a crzy good QB. He has to be tall though. I think the shortest guy on the O-line is 6' 3". Think the average is like 6' 6" 280 lbs. Most have played a season or two, with an amazing rucruiting class coming in.

    GOING TO BE FUN!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    [OT]Tough situation in Indiana with the loss of head coach Terry "Hep" Hoepner to a brain tumor, but the Hoosiers will play some exciting offense again this year -- and they may need to if the defense isn't improved.
    Emotion is going to carry them this year, up to a point, but IU has never been a football school. With the coaching change, things do not look good, considering they were not that good with Coach Hep.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  12. #12
    Cyburbian the north omaha star's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2003
    Location
    at Babies R Us or Home Depot
    Posts
    1,260
    I can't wait for the Huskers to get another crack at USC in September. This time it will be in Lincoln on Sept 15. Is Keith Jackson still doing games. I always enjoyed it when he did Nebraska games. WHOA NELLY!!! GO BIG RED!!!!
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Go Blue !!!

    This Bear's heart is with the Michigan Wolverines.(largest land-dwelling member of the Weasel family). Woo-hoo!

    The offense that nearly reached the National Championship Game last year will (mostly) be back. The defense has lost some studs, but most bigger schools "reload", so I am not worried.....yet.

    I would love to predict a Wolverine National Championship, but I have to be honest. I think they could make the title game, probably against USC. Others that could be in the title tilt (in addition to USC and Michigan) would include LSU, Florida, Ohio State, Wisconsin. and Texas.

    BTW.....word on the Weasel street is that this is Michigan Coach Lloyd Carr's final season.

    Go Blue !!!

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  14. #14
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Go Blue !!!Bear
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Michigan will win it ALL!
    As much as I'd love to see Llyod win a National Championship and then retire, I don't think it's going to happen. The defense isn't there. They will win the Big Ten Conference, but will not make it to the Championship game for some reason or another. I forsee a loss at home to Orgeon on 9/8/2007 or a loss at Illinois on 10/27/2007. Either way, no Championship for the Wolverines.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,982
    Well you all know where my heart will be...the Orange and Blue of FLORIDA. Seriously they did lose a couple from the offense, so it will remain strong, plus the fact thye one of USC's top running backs Moody is transfereing. Defense is alittle more questionable since they lost a majority of the starting team, but they have restocked.

    Another Gator team destined for a repeat!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  16. #16
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,039

    Ha!

    The University of Colorado was recently declared the home of the BEST College MASCOT in the Country making the BUFFALOES FAR superiour to any other school

    http://cfn.scout.com/2/588904.html

    Hey, if FOX says so, it must be true....right?

    http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6149922

    GO BUFF'S!!!!!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,619
    For once I agree with TO
    GO CU BUFF'S
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  18. #18
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,005
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

    GO BUFF'S!!!!!!
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    For once I agree with TO
    GO CU BUFF'S

    Yaaaaawwnnn....

    This weekend I'll be going for CSU...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  19. #19
    Cyburbian the north omaha star's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2003
    Location
    at Babies R Us or Home Depot
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Well you all know where my heart will be...the Orange and Blue of FLORIDA. Seriously they did lose a couple from the offense, so it will remain strong, plus the fact thye one of USC's top running backs Moody is transfereing. Defense is alittle more questionable since they lost a majority of the starting team, but they have restocked.

    Another Gator team destined for a repeat!
    Last week, I was watching highlights of the 1995 Championship game between Nebraska and Florida. AHHHHHH!!!!, the 'good 'ol days. In those days, Florida's O-Line was non-existent as Weurffel was picking himself up every other play.

    Fast forward to 2007, and Nebraska is ranked 18th in the preseason.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Last week, I was watching highlights of the 1995 Championship game between Nebraska and Florida. AHHHHHH!!!!, the 'good 'ol days. In those days, Florida's O-Line was non-existent as Weurffel was picking himself up every other play.
    I think Nebraska just scored again...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  21. #21
    Cyburbian Greenescapist's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    As much as I'd love to see Llyod win a National Championship and then retire, I don't think it's going to happen. The defense isn't there. They will win the Big Ten Conference, but will not make it to the Championship game for some reason or another. I forsee a loss at home to Orgeon on 9/8/2007 or a loss at Illinois on 10/27/2007. Either way, no Championship for the Wolverines.
    Michigan plays in Madison, too. I'd say that's a tougher game than Illinois. As far as I recall, Illinois has been weak the last several years. Who knows though... that's one of the fun things about college football- it's less predictable than the NFL.

  22. #22
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,642
    Blog entries
    5
    Rutgers plays their opening game tomorrow night against Buffalo. It's going to be chaotic on campus tomorrow.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  23. #23
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    Michigan plays in Madison, too. I'd say that's a tougher game than Illinois. As far as I recall, Illinois has been weak the last several years. Who knows though... that's one of the fun things about college football- it's less predictable than the NFL.
    That was my point. Michigan always seems to lose a game they shouldn't lose.

    That being said, there are definitely some intriguing story lines in the Big 10(11) this year;

    Michigan: Henne, Hart and Long returning for their senior seasons.
    MSU: Will new coach Mike Dantonio bring the toughness back?
    OSU: How will the Buckeyes respond to last years loss to Florida and the loss of Troy Smith?
    Wisconsin: How will the team be without Stocco?

  24. #24
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,258
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    That was my point. Michigan always seems to lose a game they shouldn't lose.
    Sad but true. Blue blood courses through my veins and it has caused me 40+ years of heartache since I made my first visit to the Big House, known simply as MIchigan Stadium in those days. Typically over-ranked at the start of the season, they play up to those lofty expectations until, at a crucial moment, they find a way to break the collective hearts of the Maize and Blue masses one more time. Still...

    M GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hail to the Victor's Valiant, Hail.....Champions of the West!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  25. #25
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Hail to the Victor's Valiant, Hail.....Champions of the West!
    Although I'm not a die hard UofM fan, this is easily the best fight song in college sports.

    (no disrespect to the "Notre Dame Victory March" zman )

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 11:27 AM
  3. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  4. 2008 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 176
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 4:20 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM