Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need planning experience

Registered
    Sep 2007

Need planning experience

I have a geography degree from UNC-Chapel Hill and am a certified middle grades science teacher. I am interested in environmental planning and pursuing a master's degree in planning. I live in southeast NC and cannot seem to secure a planning internship, part-time job or entry level full-time job. I just want some experience so that i don't go into the graduate program not really knowing what i'm doing. Does anyone have any suggestions for gaining employment or an internship while not enrolled in an academic program, specifically for this area?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I recommend looking thru the Career Advice forum. Lots of good stuff there.

Moderator note:
    Thread moved to Career Advice subforum.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 19 Sep 2007 at 8:39 AM.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You live in one of the fastest growing areas in the country, you cant find work? Or an internship? keep trying.

Have you consulted with a career center at your alma-mater? No faculty can hook you up?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    So which do you really want, internship, part-time, or full time?

Internships are limited cuz employers want someone they can count on full time, all the time. Interns may cost less, but they are also usually less capable.

Good luck with finding an entry level part-time...that is basically an internship.

Full-time entry level. You just have to keep sending out applications. An immediate turn-off for an employer is "I want a full-time job, oh, but by the way, I'm still going to school so can I work 2pm to 10pm and have next Tuesday off so I can study for a test?" Uh, no. In other words, going to school, even part-time, can be a challenge to finding a full-time job, because in planning, full-time is often just that. 8-5 + night meetings + weekend meetings + overtime to finish critical projects, etc etc.

Have someone (or a few someones) look over your resume and cover letter if you are not getting interviews.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    ^^Really? Weekend Meetings?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Sweetie, you don't need experience before you go to grad school for planning- almost no one has a planning background. And they would rather give you an internship once you're in school. So go to school, then work on your experience.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    Sweetie, you don't need experience before you go to grad school for planning
    Did you automatically assume this is a gal that posted? Tisk Tisk Kshape, i expected better! But in all seriousness, Kshape is right. You don't really need an internship before going to grad school. Try picking up a book or visiting the professional branch of environmental planners http://califaep.org/

Good Luck!
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting experience in planning with a bachelors
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Nov 2012, 4:48 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Nov 2011, 8:46 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Feb 2011, 11:45 AM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last post: 24 Dec 2009, 11:41 PM