+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP certification maintenance log

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

AICP certification maintenance log

Who has logged their CM hours ?

I have only logged APA National.
    Waiting for State Conference to be listed.

If you havn't attended National, have you gone to an adjacent state's conference ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2002
    I logged my time at the Michigan Conference last night. I was very surprised at how well it worked.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...if the expiration date of your CPD certificate is August 31, 2008, you are exempt from the CM requirements through the 2008 calendar year. Your CM obligation would therefore begin on January 1, 2009 and will end on December 31, 2010. Or, if the expiration date of your CPD certificate is March 31, 2010, your CM obligation would first begin on January 1, 2010.

I get to skate until 2010. But can I log credits before then and have them count towards the next cycle?

EDIT: Just found the answer.

1.1 I have a CPD certificate valid to the end of 2009 but would like to earn new credits in the period between April 14, 2007, and December 31, 2009. May I roll over credits earned from April 14, 2007, to December 31, 2009, and apply them to the CM reporting period that will begin in January 2010?
    Yes, you may roll over up to 16 excess credits to the next reporting period, even if you do not need to start accruing CM credits until January 2010. During any reporting period, you may roll over a maximum of 16 credits, and these cannot include the minimum required law and ethics credits for the next reporting period.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 26 Oct 2007 at 8:19 AM.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I get to skate until 2010. But can I log credits before then and have them count towards the next cycle?

EDIT: Just found the answer.
    I'm in the same boat. Set on CM until 2010. Good to know I can count credits earned before then though....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Who has logged their CM hours ?

I have only logged APA National.
    Waiting for State Conference to be listed.

If you havn't attended National, have you gone to an adjacent state's conference ?
    I logged my National APA conference events this morning - still waiting for Southern NE Planning Conference to appear on the site.

One thing that pissed me off - I went to the closing session and a mobile workshop, both of which counted towards CPD, and apparently they don't count towards CM. Not for nothing, but I would have thought twice about going on the mobile workshop if I knew it didn't count. I could have attended 3 hours of CM-credited sessions during that time. And that doesn't even take account of the fact that I learned more at the Mobile Workshop than during the whole rest of the conference!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    I'm in the same boat. Set on CM until 2010. Good to know I can count credits earned before then though....
    I started logging in my APA Nat'l credits this morning and stopped when I reached 18.5.
    What's the point in adding any more if I can only roll over 16?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I was able to log my little 1.5 credit for the LEED ND audio conference without any trouble. I too was a bit suprised that the system worked.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    My mobile workshop in Philly as well as a two day APA workshop in Chi in June were nowhere to be found on the list.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I logged my Michigan Association of Planning conference hours this AM.

However, at the opening session we were told all sessions were eligible for credit but as it turns out the Opening Session on the 3rd day isn't.

Well I've logged 9.75 hours. 22.25 more to go

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just logged APA national and NNE-CAPA in (and that conference was just this past week! kudos to them) - I am over halfway now to the 32, except I haven't done that pesky ethics and law requirement one, so I'll have to make sure I go to those in Vegas!

on the national conference - I noticed that Stewarding Yourself and Planning Directors in the Hot Seat were missing from the list and I had attended those and felt they were extremely worthwhile, so I was disappointed

I am waiting for the Southern New England conference to get posted and then, shoot, I'll just have to go to Vegas to finish it out, bummer! -

Lorman is now offering AICP credits for their courses in Maine which is great, though their courses are pricey and always seem to occur on a day of a big meeting I can't miss that evening and are 3 hours away -

if you join the Small Town and Rural Planning division (STaR), we do have low cost and free programs to obtain credits

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'm still waiting for the TX apa conference to show up on the list. I'm not happy that it wasn't one of the first ones registered . . .

Even if absolutely everything I attended counts, I can only get 12 credits. No law or ethics offered, though. I guess not too bad for only 2 days.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2002
    A number of the sessions at the Michgian Association of Planning Conference were being video taped. I was talking to one person at the confer. about this and they said the plan was to sell the videos for $25 each thus allowing people an opportunity to get additional credits by watching the videos.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    I logged my National APA conference events this morning - still waiting for Southern NE Planning Conference to appear on the site.

One thing that pissed me off - I went to the closing session and a mobile workshop, both of which counted towards CPD, and apparently they don't count towards CM. Not for nothing, but I would have thought twice about going on the mobile workshop if I knew it didn't count. I could have attended 3 hours of CM-credited sessions during that time. And that doesn't even take account of the fact that I learned more at the Mobile Workshop than during the whole rest of the conference!
    That's my beef, too. I logged by Michigan Association of Planning credits, and was surprised to find that several of the sessions were not deemed to be eligible. We should know ahead of time what will count for credit and what will not.

Otherwise, I agree with the others, logging the credits was pretty easy.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Me three......nice to know that my Vegas National APA Conference won't be wasted.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2005

Ethics credits

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I just logged APA national and NNE-CAPA in (and that conference was just this past week! kudos to them) - I am over halfway now to the 32, except I haven't done that pesky ethics and law requirement one, so I'll have to make sure I go to those in Vegas!
    I'm not finding anything in the APA National Conference for ethics. Am I missing something? The FAQ states that the Stollman Ethics Symposium at APA's National Planning Conference would meet the requirement but I don't see that anywhere in the program for the conference. Was that only offered at last year's conference?

I will not be happy if APA makes getting this ethics requirement a pain in the butt.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 Mar 2009, 5:22 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Aug 2007, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 9:48 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 May 2007, 11:05 AM
  5. AICP Certification...
    Make No Small Plans