Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transect development

Registered
    Mar 2005

Transect development

Did DPZ put this concept into a book format or is my only resource the draft Smart Code on their website? I'd prefer a book format that can discuss the concepts. I read Suburban Nation but the concept is not fully detailed. Thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    The idea of the transect is just good planning common sense. You put the most intense uses in the regional activity centers and have a decrease of intensity and uses as you move from urban to suburban to exurban to rural. He just repackaged basic planning concepts, added a sexy name, and tried to market his idea.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    ^ gee, useful answer.

Yes, I've definitely seen PDFs of the full transect concept that you can print out. Try contacting these guys

http://www.newurbannews.com/index.html

As for the transect beign just "repackaged common sense", that doesn't soudd right even to an amateur like me..

1) How many communities have the urban organization that would stem from intelligent application of the transect concept?

2) A transect-based zoning/urban planning approach would require many jurisdictions to re-write the rule book. So how can it be "common practice".

3) The transect concept, AIUI, is not meant to be used in isolation from other "New" Urbanism concepts.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    ^ gee, useful answer.

Yes, I've definitely seen PDFs of the full transect concept that you can print out. Try contacting these guys

http://www.newurbannews.com/index.html

As for the transect beign just "repackaged common sense", that doesn't soudd right even to an amateur like me..

1) How many communities have the urban organization that would stem from intelligent application of the transect concept?

2) A transect-based zoning/urban planning approach would require many jurisdictions to re-write the rule book. So how can it be "common practice".

3) The transect concept, AIUI, is not meant to be used in isolation from other "New" Urbanism concepts.

Oh, I am not so sure it is all that revolutionary an idea. As a substitute for zoning (i.e., form-based, etc.) it may be new-ish, but the ideas on which the transect are based have been around for a long, long time.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    True, it's been around since about 1800 but I was having trouble finding any texts from that era.

It makes it easier to sell the ubber dense model when you've got a text to back it up. Thanks for the links.

ETA: DPZ's smartcode is actually pretty good at detailing the concepts so it turns out to be a decent resource.

Registered
    May 2005
    I have excerpts from a transect publication in a reader from a few years back. I'll try to dig it out and see where they came from (I don't recall if it was a book on transect planning, from the smartcode, or what). As I recall, their breakdown of how it is designed and applied would be very helpful for practice.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Thanks I will check back to see if you found anything.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    ^ gee, useful answer. .
    I thought it was dead-on. The graphic of the transect is somewhat useful but it really is just a new version of "good planning." I'm not anti-NU at all, I just think that the idea is more about packaging good ideas than creating new ideas.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Here is a law review article that addresses many of the major issues/topics. http://law.missouri.edu/lawreview/docs/71-3/Emerson.pdf
    There is also a book published by the same author.

A discussion of the implementation is a completely different story. Very few muncipalities (even the ones that use it) have many real DP's come through. As with all zoning codes, it has its issues. Bypassing the Planning Commission is one positive aspect of the code. Once the initial public hearing adopting the SmartCode is held, everything is fair game. If the requirements are met, it will be approved. I have some experience in this area. If there are any specific questions, PM me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 3:06 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jan 2011, 2:27 AM
  3. The Art of the Transect
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 Jul 2010, 8:22 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Mar 2009, 8:56 PM