Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbian Plus membership now available

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Cyburbian Plus membership now available

Cyburbia recently added a new usergroup called "Cyburbian Plus". For US$20 a year (US$1.67 a month!), Cyburbian Plus members help support the site while gaining added features and privileges, including:
    • Private message capacity: 500, plus tracking and ability to send private messages to accounts that are over quota.
      (200 for free accounts with 25 and more posts, none for those with less than 25 posts.)
    • Custom title
      (Default "Cyburbian" title for free accounts with 25 and more posts, "Member" for those with less than 25 posts.)
    • Peer Review subforum: share and solicit opinions on plans or codes that you are writing.
      (No access to the Peer Review subforum for free accounts.)
    • Inline image and document uploading
      (No inline image or document uploading for free accounts, although those with 25 or more posts may still upload images to the Gallery.)
    • Personal image album in the Gallery; hotlink images from the personal gallery into Forums posts
      (No access to the Personal image album for free accounts.)
    • Signature image (maximum 500X100 pixels) and more control over signature typeface, font size, and configuration of signatures
      (Free accounts cannot include images in signatures.)
    • Avatar maximum size: 80x80 pixels, 5000 kB
      (80x80 pixel 3000 kB avatar for free accounts with 25 and more posts, no avatar for those with less than 25 posts.)
    • Cyburbian Plus badge in posts (when available in a few days; right now, it's just a plus sign)
    • Other cool stuff that we might throw in later, when vBulletin 3.7 is available.

Any validated user, regardless of post count, can upgrade to Cyburbian Plus by visiting their control panel, selecting Paid subscriptions, and following the instructions. Payment can be made using a credit card or a PayPal account. All subscriptions are for one full year.

By becoming a paying member, you will automatically receive future account enhancements based on your status. Many new features are planned that will only be available to those with Cyburbian Plus accounts.

Free accounts (25 posts and more) have not been crippled; they still have far more features and privileges than what is seen on most other message boards. However, we removed custom titles and inline image attachments. Free Cyburbians can still use the [ img ] tag and the Gallery, though.

Cyburbia will not adopt a pay-to-register or pay-to-post mode, and there is no obligation fpr users to pay for Cyburbian Plus membership. Voluntary donations for enhanced features and privileges is just one of the ways we are working to ensure Cyburbia has a sustainable source of revenue, so it can survive and thrive in the future.

If you have any questions, comments or complaints, please make a post in this thread or send me a PM. (To avoid conflicts with my full-time job, I won't be able to answer questions on weekdays between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM EDT.) Thanks for your continued support of Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is using PayPal safe ?

What about using snail mail to send you a check ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Is using PayPal safe ?

What about using snail mail to send you a check ?
    PayPal should be safe. If you feel more comfortable sending a check, send it to the address in the contact details, and send me a PM to let me know of its imminent arrival. Please don't make it out a check to "Cyburbia" alone; I don't have a business account yet. Thanks!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ok, I paid! Now where is my tote bag? Or can I get a Kuntslerfarknation coffee mug instead?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Dan, I am only seeing the "Order by PayPal" option when I follow the instructions. Is the credit card option not yet available?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I would be happy with a cookie.

Using PayPal is easy with a DEBT card (after all, credit cards are EVIL)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Did it.
    Got it.
    Glad to help!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm in via PayPal. Good idea, Dan!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Dan, I am only seeing the "Order by PayPal" option when I follow the instructions. Is the credit card option not yet available?
    Through PayPal, you can pay with a credit card, debit card, or electronic check.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Using PayPal is easy with a DEBT card (after all, credit cards are EVIL)
    I thought I'd get an email from you asking "So, will you take $15?"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Pay Pal good...

Did it!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am sending my membership plus a contribution by snail mail.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    Pay Pal good...

Did it!
    Did you really do it? It's not showing up in my records. If you got any errors along the way, can you send me a PM and tell me what they were?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I thought I'd get an email from you asking "So, will you take $15?"
    I thought about it, but realized how good of a deal $20 is. The value is worth far more than $20!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Yay! It is done... I am happy to add my support to The Cause.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am in, I guess that is one less crack rock I get to smoke
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    $20 is less than a movie for my wife and I these days, and I surely enjoy Cyburbia more. Although I do wish we could get popcorn and sweet tarts....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Oh... i just noticed that other thread about cash issues.

Well i dont know what i'd do without my firday afternoon dose of reading your crazy posts about your crazy cities in your crazy country, in a language not too dissimilar to my own...

Plus your currency is so weak, that cost less than 4 of our english 'pints'.

Good luck Dan, and thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2002

Suggestion

Dan, you may want to post the Cyburbian Plus membership information on the masthead (or whatever you call the box at the top of every page) and remove the one that's still up there from 19 March 2008... People are more likely to see it there.
    Last edited by Mud Princess; 04 Apr 2008 at 9:35 AM. Reason: typos

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Hey hey...I just paid! Gimme one of those funky plus signs!

Well worth the $20, glad we have such a place. I just noticed the thread today...why don't you put it on the first page?
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you really want to encourage people to become "plus" then you should make it a condition of posting in the FAC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Dan, you may want to post the Cyburbian Plus membership information on the masthead (or whatever you call the box at the top of every page) and remove the one that's still up there from 19 March 2008... People are more likely to see it there.
    Moderator note:
    Great suggestion MP....I've added it to the template (hope Dan is OK with that! )
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I just made my PayPal payment. I think it's more than worth it from all I learn from reading through and participating in the forums. I hope Cyburbia continues to be a success in the future!
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Jul 2006
    o.k. I'm in too, mainly for the Other cool stuff that we might throw in later, when vBulletin 3.7 is available. The anticipation alone is worth 20 smackeroo's.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I'm in. Will take the water bottle and helmet sticker premium.

Gonna add it to my resume (which will be seeing much more traffic based on today's events, see the latest "drive you crazy at work" horror story).

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Rather than post my own thread complaining about this move I'll just post here:

I don't believe in this tactic Dan and Mods. To take something away then charge for it, sounds very public sector to me (I should know).

I was a member of a forum who, several years ago, was falling on a tough time and solicited undisclosed donations. I realize this is $20, but to be honest if I was asked to donate, I may donate more than $20, but since I feel very forced into this now I am choosing, at this time, to donate nothing. All one received on this other forum was a small tag similar to the C+ you hand out now that said you donated. Well, in this case the C+ doesn't mean you donated but that you caved to the pressure.

I don't know why the choice was made, almost overnight, to go with this direction and not ask the multitude of regulars what their feelings were, it feels rushed and not thought through and I simply disagree in principal and foresee my participation waning more and more if this kind of business keeps up.

Yes I do not have 9,000+ inane posts about nothing worth reading, but I believe when I do contribute to the non FAC threads it is helpful to other planners as well as the info in those threads is helpful to myself at times. I hope this site can remain free and open as it used to be and this isn't the beginning of the end.
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. APA membership
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 1:08 PM
  2. ITE membership
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Nov 2011, 2:46 PM