Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Somewhere Over The Rainbow & Climate Change Adaptation

Registered
    Jun 2008

Somewhere Over The Rainbow & Climate Change Adaptation

Greetings from the Great Plains of North America, Dorothy's country, which is still looking for a guiding mythology about itself. I stumbled upon this site while looking for a chorus to sing with, to be metaphoric. And I went to planning school, so it strikes the right chord.

To be totally practical, I work in drought planning. The context of our work is shifting from being a component of the agricultural world to being an essential part of climate change adaptation. I need to come up to speed on urban planning, land use, and climate change adaptation. Anyone want to talk adaptation planning?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Welcome from the florida swamp! My parents hail from your fine state, I have spend many summers there, love it!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from another Floridian but up on the panhandle.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by oneplanningfool View post
    Greetings from the Great Plains of North America, Dorothy's country, which is still looking for a guiding mythology about itself. I stumbled upon this site while looking for a chorus to sing with, to be metaphoric. And I went to planning school, so it strikes the right chord.

To be totally practical, I work in drought planning. The context of our work is shifting from being a component of the agricultural world to being an essential part of climate change adaptation. I need to come up to speed on urban planning, land use, and climate change adaptation. Anyone want to talk adaptation planning?
    Welcome from the Queen City of the Rockies, under the Big Sky, in the Last Best Place.

Always good to see a new planner here, especially one from the Plains.

I am not knowledgeable on adaption planning (having not heard the term before). I hope in future posts you can enlighten myself and others on adaption planning.

Montana has been experiencing drought for nearly a decade now. Today, though, it is remarkably moist, given yesterday's all-day rain. By July it will be dusty and dry.

Montana is experiencing water shortages, as does much of the West. We have the advantages of: 1) not having a large population demanding the limited resource be stretched thinner; 2) we sit at the top of major watersheds (Missouri, Yellowstone and Columbia), so we get first crack at the water that comes out of our mountains, and 3) the feds did major water projects for irrigation and power generation, so we have some large reservoirs that sustain us, though some (Fort Peck, for example) hasn't been full in years.

Once again, welcome. Look forward to learning more about your specialty..
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Welcome from Alaska!

We don't really have to worry about dourght issues, although wildfire season has started... we sure could use some rain about now.
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Welcome to you and your little dog too!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, all, for the welcome!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River, in the Central Time Zone.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS GIS / climate change
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Oct 2010, 3:49 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 11:20 AM
  3. Climate Change Report
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31