Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Car sharing management from municipal perspective

Registered
    Nov 2006

Car sharing management from municipal perspective

Has anyone seen any literature out there from suburbs that have attempted car-sharing programs? I'm very curious about the administration/partnership aspects.
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    We use the internet. http://www.2carshare.com is a car share site for the whole sub region of about 1 million. If companies or communities want their own private car share then they can pay a reasonable amount to get one. It does actually work, its quite well used.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Car sharing = carpooling?

For some reason when I see car sharing, I think of a co-op-esque system with a fleet of vehicles shared between users on a reservation system. Which are we talking here?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    This sort of thing is typically left to private enterprises such as zipcar, virtucar and others. I would be very leery of getting a municipality involved in direct administration of a car-sharing system for a whole host of reasons.

Ive not looked any published data, but it looks like zipcar etc. only serve wealthier and middle class communities. They are less willing to invest in inner city poor areas than starbucks or wal mart. So I would advise against any city relying too much on them.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    This sort of thing is typically left to private enterprises such as zipcar, virtucar and others. I would be very leery of getting a municipality involved in direct administration of a car-sharing system for a whole host of reasons.
    What reasons are those? I'd be interested to hear.

Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    Ive not looked any published data, but it looks like zipcar etc. only serve wealthier and middle class communities. They are less willing to invest in inner city poor areas than starbucks or wal mart. So I would advise against any city relying too much on them.
    We have some good data. As part of our role working with employers, and helping them overcome parking / access problems etc, we survey the workforce. The survey asks for their 'postcode' (UK zipcode, but much more specific). We can then plot the location of the employees on to a map and know how they got to work. Its quite mixed, and informal car sharing is much more popular than any web site . There is of course the issue that formal car share is only really accessible for those with internet connections, but it seems quite mixed.

Registered
    Feb 2007

check out Arlington County

We highlighted Arlington County, Virginia's car sharing program in an article we ran in the Spring issue of the Planning Comm'rs Journal on car sharing. Their web site is: www.commuterpage.com/carshare.htm -- we've also posted a list of car sharing links/resources on our PlannersWeb site.
    Wayne Senville, Editor
    PlannersWeb.com / Planning Commissioners Journal
    P.O. Box 4295, Burlington, VT 05406

Linkedin:www.linkedin.com/in/waynesenville
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/PlanningJournal
    email: pcjoffice@gmail.com

We sent out information about the River Cities Rideshare Program to the citizens, and have this info on our website as well: http://www.rcride.com It's a regional program that hopefully some citizens will take advantage of. 90% of our workforce commutes!!!

It seems to me where local government can play a role with car-sharing programs is to allocate parking spots in parking garages or city own parking lots to make it easier for companies like zipcar to expand within a given community.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Twoaday View post
    It seems to me where local government can play a role with car-sharing programs is to allocate parking spots in parking garages or city own parking lots to make it easier for companies like zipcar to expand within a given community.

That has been my experience.

To respond to b3nr, I wouldn't think it would be all that practical or advisable for a municipality to take on the burden of buying and administering a fleet of cars for public hire. I can think of very few municipalities capable of taking that sort of level of effort on.

Further beyond helping carsharing companies with parking space I believe some municipalities have reduced fleet size by working with a car sharing company as well.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ah i see! Sorry i think the terminology is confused. 'Carshare' to me means a system, website or other, which matches the journeys of 2, 3, 4 people and allows them to share driving and costs. I think the term in the US is 'carpooling'.

Car Share as you seem to be suggesting is what we'd term 'car club'. This is a 'club', in our case and most places a private operator who provide cars on street, which can be booked out and used by any member for an hourly or whatever fee.

Our involvement with our local ca club is facilitating and promoting their efforts, we often insist that new developments should have spaces, promote partnership working to business and of course facilitate the on street spaces. We currently have over 40 spaces and cars around the city and usage and membership have seen steady growth over recent years.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 94
    Last post: 17 Aug 2013, 11:26 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Jan 2012, 4:11 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 13 Sep 2006, 9:39 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Oct 2004, 6:13 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 2:43 PM