Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are there any Richard Florida rankings of Canadian cities?

Registered
    Oct 2003

Are there any Richard Florida rankings of Canadian cities?

Currently, I'm reading Richard Florida's Who's your city? book. It got me curious about what are his rankings of Canadian cities. I haven't lucked out with searching for this information on Google. I did do a quick search on the Cyburbia Forums, but didn't find anything.

So, do any of you know anything about whether or not there are rankings of Canadian cities done by Richard Florida's school of thought?

I'd be somewhat surprise if there isn't any as Richard Florida now lives in Toronto, Canada.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not to be sarcastic, but to be sarcastic.... WHO CARES. He's a wind bag.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Not to be sarcastic, but to be sarcastic.... WHO CARES. He's a wind bag.
    Thank you...I completely agree. But he can fill a room like no other...
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Wow, I didn't realized that he's a detested figure in this community.

May I ask why?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Florida... He's soooo 2002

Actually, though he offered some interesting concepts his attempt at qualification and quantification were pretty weak, and if you cant prove it, its faith, and if its faith you can not ask an urban area to bet on it for success.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Hceux, why not e-mail Richard Florida and ask him? I think he has a website... I'm sure you could find his e-mail address.

He's a featured speaker at the IEDC conference in October, and I'm supposed to get a copy of his new book for being one of the first 500 to register. (I've never actually read any of his books, so I can't answer your other question.)

Registered
    Apr 2009
    While I don't sip the Florida kool-aid, I do think he has a lot of interesting concepts, and while he may not have hard factual data to back a lot of it up, in his defense, often the things he's measuring, like social tolerance, don't really have any concrete ways to measure them. I've never heard Florida speak, but in an economics class we had one of his associates in to discuss the creative class.

And while they're a few (maybe many) holes in the theory and it's applicability is far from universal, I get the sense that he acknowledges that.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    Hceux,

oh, I just found this on florida's blog site
    http://www.creativeclass.com/creativ...onto-and-more/

the link on the site doesn't work, but when they eventually fix it maybe it may help

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Here is what Dick Florida would say: Toronto and Vancouver = Good; Hamilton and Subury = Bad. Everyplace else is somewhere in between, but ranges widely from Windsor to Banff.

He would also forget that the Maritines or Plains are part of Canada.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I believe that Mr. Florida only analyzes U.S. cities, because he is using one uniform data set to make comparisons. Were he to create a similar ranking system for Canada, he would have to find similar uniform data sources on the north side of the border. While I'm sure these data sources exist, he would have to take time out from his speaking engagements to do this, and at $50,000 per engagement (last time I checked), I'm sure he has better things to do.

Why would people "hate on" Richard Florida? Well, he took ideas that were not original to him, crunched a bunch of data in ways that others before him had done, and drew conclusions that sound nice in a book but aren't really deep or even actionable. (Hey, Boston is successful because it has Harvard, MIT, and lots of patents for products in high-tech industries? Let's make that happen in Syracuse!)

Also, he made an entire, lucrative career out of one book and is now famous. The bastard.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 May 2005, 10:06 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 2:03 PM
  3. Richard Florida and the Built Environment
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Nov 2004, 10:26 AM
  4. Canadian vs. American Cities
    Make No Small Plans