Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UT Austin CRP - full-time vs. part-time status

UT Austin CRP - full-time vs. part-time status

Question for current or former UT Austin CRP students:

I am considering applying to this program soon. But one of my concerns is that it seems the program is designed with full-time students in mind. The course schedule lists very few evening classes, the part-time student count is quite small, and one recent program graduate I met told me the had to be full-time his first year. (I haven't spoken to any faculty or staff of the program yet since I'm not to that point yet.)

Can anyone familiar with this program weigh in?

I currently work full-time in Austin in a state-level economic-development job that I'd like to keep if I got accepted to the UT program.

Registered
    Sep 2006
    The program is pretty much focused on full time students, but you should be able to attend part time - it would obviously take you longer to finish. There are several electives offered in the evenings but core classes are all during the day. Some people I know who are going to school part time are working only 30 hours a week and taking a couple day classes. So it IS possible, but you would have to work something out with the program advisor and your work.

Hope this helps!

How do students who have already somewhat begun careers (meaning those who are not direct from undergrad) afford to quit their jobs and undertake a full-time graduate program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Funding for graduate school comes through loans, grants, or education assistance from an employer.

Check to see if your place of employment offer tuition assistance, and as you get closer to graduating and need more 'day classes' then have them work to reduce your hours for the final semester in order to complete the program.

As for me i received grants to pay half of my costs, i'm going to work part time to pay as i go.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by troubledsleeper View post
    How do students who have already somewhat begun careers (meaning those who are not direct from undergrad) afford to quit their jobs and undertake a full-time graduate program?
    Hello... I am a current UT CRP student (just started actually) who worked full time and is now blissfully unemployed. For me it was a choice. I COULD work near full time and take classes part time but I came to think of a grad. degree as an investment in myself. I want to be able to get the most possible out of the program and if that means debt (and ohhhhh boy does it) then I shall have some. I think you are selling yourself short as a future planner by splitting your time too much.

That being said there are people who thrive on being so busy that they can carry the load. I am not one of those people.

Good luck
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've been in the Austin area for a while and have heard from several that the CRP program is not working professional friendly.

Given that you work in state government, have you considered the Texas State MPA program? You can do an urban planning emphasis in it, and it has an excellent reputation. My graduating MPA class was probably 60% working professionals in the public sector, with most of those being state government. The MPA program has contracts with a couple of state office buildings to hold classes in downtown Austin, so you might only have to make the trip to San Marcos for 1 or 2 semesters. 100% of the classes were in the evening.

A Texas State MPA student won the Central Texas APA student project of the year for this last year (going head-to-head with UT and TAMU students), so you are not sacrificing a quality education.

Not to throw the CRP program at UT under the bus (its a fine program), but the last three interns I got from there were awful. Knowing the professors and level of education there, I'm sure it was a string of bad luck, but certainly something worth noting. From what I've seen, their graduates are better-suited for private sector urban design and NGOs than traditional public service in local government.

I would especially consider the Texas State MPA if you already have an undergraduate degree in planning. I already had a BURP, and chose the MPA to round out my background for an eventual planning director position for a larger city.

If you're interested, here's the dirt on the program: Link

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Thanks for the Texas State info.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Part-time consulting
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Jul 2012, 2:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 7:20 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jun 2008, 12:46 PM
  4. Full time or part time?