Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Whats the beef with the association?

  1. #1
    Cyburbian FueledByRamen's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Location
    A Dog in a Hat
    Posts
    449

    Whats the beef with the association?

    (not naming any names for political reasons).

    Since my return to Cyburbia (a couple days ago...mostly out of boredom) I've noticed several people's signatures having comments that seem to express...displeasure...with a certain national association that many of us belong to.

    Did I miss something? Should I be mad? Someone tell me what to think!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    CM mainly.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    63
    Time for renewal for me and I must say that I'm indifferent at best. I honestly do not see the benefit.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    The CM thing brought out a series of long standing complaints against national. The best way to get your CM credits is to go to the national conference, which tends to be expensive. I've been to 3 in 20 years. Getting your CM credits without going the national conference is difficult at best. APA isn't very affordable for those who really need the services. It's very geared to urban areas. It's not of much use to those of us outside of the urban areas.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  5. #5
    Cyburbian FueledByRamen's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Location
    A Dog in a Hat
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    The CM thing brought out a series of long standing complaints against national. The best way to get your CM credits is to go to the national conference, which tends to be expensive. I've been to 3 in 20 years. Getting your CM credits without going the national conference is difficult at best. APA isn't very affordable for those who really need the services. It's very geared to urban areas. It's not of much use to those of us outside of the urban areas.
    Gotcha.

    In my oppinion, I think that a CM program is good...but I see your point about having to go to a national conference to get your credits. (And have you ever been to a state conference?? )

  6. #6
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    I had briefly considered trying to find enough free/nearly free CM classes to keep my AICP but the APA position opening for an AICP advisor with AICP credential just turned me completely off. It's not the position itself, which should have been done before they wandered off into the weeds of CM, but the plans to add specialty endorsements. That means more tests, more CM, more overhead costs, more fees, and no real benefit. If AICP was a license to practice or a guarantee of higher wages and the specialty endorsements were board certifications that carried weight, no problem. Bottom line, I'll be dropping APA membership at the same time I drop AICP. I can find more interesting slick publications for less $.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,171
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    ... but the plans to add specialty endorsements. That means more tests, more CM, more overhead costs, more fees, and no real benefit.
    Where did you read that ? can you give us a web link ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  8. #8
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Where did you read that ? can you give us a web link ?
    Previously linked in the AICP Certification Maintenance thread of Make No Small Plans by Suburban Repairman. Also in hard copy in the current issue of Planning.

    http://www.planning.org/Jobsonline/a...htm?AdID=37865
    Last edited by ofos; 30 Sep 2008 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Adding link
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  9. #9
    Cyburbian DetroitPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Previously linked in the AICP Certification Maintenance thread of Make No Small Plans by Suburban Repairman. Also in hard copy in the current issue of Planning.

    http://www.planning.org/Jobsonline/a...htm?AdID=37865
    an ASC AICP in Transportation?? How much $$$ do they want out of use? More tests? I'm not worried about the test per se, but the fact that I am going to have to pay more or get more CM credits (which are hard to get to begin with).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    Gotcha.

    In my oppinion, I think that a CM program is good...but I see your point about having to go to a national conference to get your credits. (And have you ever been to a state conference?? )
    Well, in my case- in the next budget cycle-I had to decide between the national and the state conference. I chose the national conference because I could more bang for the county's buck at national than I could at the state conference. Yes, national cost more, but I get a better professional return for the county's money by going there.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

  11. #11
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    I just had this discussion with my new boss. He is AICP but really doesn'y care that I am not. 20 years in this business speaks for itself.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,861
    Blog entries
    5
    I like the AICP preferred attached to job descriptions for entry level planners. Ummm.....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  13. #13
    Cyburbian TOFB's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Loma Linda's
    Posts
    1,429
    Personally, I support CM although it should be easier and cheaper to make non-APA conferences eligible for credits.

    I also refer to the Code of Ethics often. Last night, with an overflow room full of my angry neighbors on an issue concerning over-occupied student housing from the University 2 blocks away (where my wife works, btw) I calmly announce to the Chair that since I am a resident of the affected area, I will not participate in any of the proceedings concerning this matter, get up, and walk out.

  14. #14
    Cyburbian FueledByRamen's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Location
    A Dog in a Hat
    Posts
    449
    Now that I think about it, I get a lot of emails announcing CM opportunities, but they are always for CNU events which usually cost well over $50 a head to attend...and if your employer isn't paying for your CM....wow. Now I am mad!

  15. #15
    Cyburbian mike gurnee's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 1998
    Location
    Greensburg, Kansas
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen View post
    Now that I think about it, I get a lot of emails announcing CM opportunities, but they are always for CNU events which usually cost well over $50 a head to attend...and if your employer isn't paying for your CM....wow. Now I am mad!
    Join the crowd. Now, if you would like some other negative opinions of National, ask elGuapo his take on the partnership with China.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,779
    I blew it off after my office staff failed to pay my dues one year. I got a letter 9 mos later telling my I had to pay an extra $90 (money was tight at the time and county wouldn't pay, even though it was their mistake) along with letter explaining my lack of payment, and begging them to let me back in. As if.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Whats in a name? Job titles in planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 26 Apr 2013, 8:50 PM
  2. Whats on your keychain?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 06 Mar 2012, 3:30 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 1:56 PM
  4. Whats that??????
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 06 Nov 2003, 4:00 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Jan 2002, 2:17 PM