Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Martial Arts

Registered
    Nov 2002

Martial Arts

From the time I was a kid I've always flirted with the idea of taking marshal arts lessons but never have (and still probably won't after this thread).

Are any of you experienced martial artists? Have any of you started as an adult?

What particular style would you recommend for an inflexible guy in his 30's? Its not like I expect to fight off a gang of bikers anytime soon, but some styles just seem like learning matrial arts based dance moves.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I did some judo when I was younger but never really got into the oriental martial arts thing. For the past several years, I've done some Tai Chi and recommend it highly for anybody. It's based on martial arts routines but you don't have to do the fighting. Great for balance, flexibility, posture, discipline, etc.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2002
    Back in grad school, I went through 2 ranks in Aikido, and I miss it greatly. It was a real dojo, not like a college class or anything. I'm also somewhat trained in German Longsword and fenced competitively for about 7 years.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My son takes tae kwon do. His sensei is a great guy, who teaches not only techniques but also ethics. He is a man in his fifties and in excellent physcial condition, with a wife 20 years his junior. He is the embodiment of the physical benefits of marital arts training.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I was in Tae Kwon Do in my late 20's. I really liked until I trashed my knee doing it. It helped me with my focus and I was in my best shape ever during it. The one thing I would caution, espically with Tae is they teach you to react. While I was in it, I couldn't stand to have anybody behind me.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB Coragus mentioning fencing -

Using Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine -
    In college I took a foil fencing class, what I gained for that snow skiing season was improved posture and quick leg movement.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    ...Are any of you experienced martial artists? ....
    I once watched a Bruce Lee movie. Just sayin'.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well....

From the time I was a kid I've always flirted with the idea of taking marshal arts lessons but never have (and still probably won't after this thread).

Are any of you experienced martial artists? Have any of you started as an adult?

What particular style would you recommend for an inflexible guy in his 30's? Its not like I expect to fight off a gang of bikers anytime soon, but some styles just seem like learning matrial arts based dance moves.
    I've always wanted to give Judo a try.....still plan to some day....but then I could just buy a handgun....hmmm.....the choices....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Tai Chi is probably the best bet. When I was as kid we lived next to a park that the old Asian people would gather in during the early morning hours and practice. They were in great shape and very flexible. Pilates gives same type of effect.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I never have. Mrs. Otis used to do tae kwon do. She tore her ACL last spring and that ended her career in that discipline. She had surgery in August for a new ACL, although the surgeon didn't want to do it initially because of her (Mrs. O's) age. I won't say what it is but it is substantially beyond the age at which they normally do ACL surgery (also substantially beyond my age). They think you don't need an ACL as you get older. But Mrs O is very active and uses hers all the time.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I never have. Mrs. Otis used to do tae kwon do. She tore her ACL last spring and that ended her career in that discipline. She had surgery in August for a new ACL, although the surgeon didn't want to do it initially because of her (Mrs. O's) age. I won't say what it is but it is substantially beyond the age at which they normally do ACL surgery (also substantially beyond my age). They think you don't need an ACL as you get older. But Mrs O is very active and uses hers all the time.
    I partially tore my ACL while doing it. Hurt like a !@#$%^ &*!@#$. I didn't have the surgery, but went through PT for it. Funny how the PT took away my desire to continue.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Cursory web searches tell me that there's basically a range from "flippy" (Judo) to "kicky" (Taekwondo). Since I've never been flexible enought to touch my toes I'm not sure I would do well at Taekwondo.

What are these classes acutally like? I'm guessing a lot of repetitive drills and eventual sparring. I'd prefer the Mister Miagi approach where I wouldn't have to make a fool of myself in front of other students.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Cursory web searches tell me that there's basically a range from "flippy" (Judo) to "kicky" (Taekwondo). Since I've never been flexible enought to touch my toes I'm not sure I would do well at Taekwondo.

What are these classes acutally like? I'm guessing a lot of repetitive drills and eventual sparring. I'd prefer the Mister Miagi approach where I wouldn't have to make a fool of myself in front of other students.
    It is a lot of repetitive drills, plus stretching, warms-up, etc. You do spar, sooner than you think. As for making a fool of yourself, everyone does, so you are in the same boat. Wait till some 10 year old kicks you butt, literarlly. However, the humility, like the pain, teaches you a lot. It will put you in the best shape you have ever been, Plus, it does help your flexibility and focus. I would still be in it, if I hadn't trashed my knee.

Suburban Repairman would be a good person to talk to regarding this. I think he was/still is involved in it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Lots and lots and lots of repetitive drills, with some sparring. Apparently it takes years for the moves to become instinctive and properly performed. My son's class always starts with a warmup with stretches, then they perform routines, then the white to orange belts are often paired off with a more advanced student to work on strikes, blocks and kicks. They spar about once a week. As far as flexibility, some students are more flexible than others and each student is supposed to only do what they can do without injuring themselves.

My son goes to a coed class. It is interesting to see how the males and the females do the exercises and spar. Men tend to be best at strikes and blocks, while the females tend to excel at kicks and general agility. Very few of the males, for example, can kick their foot higher than their chest, while almost all of the women can kick as high or higher than their heads. There is one teenage girl, who is about 5'9", and I bet she can get her toe six feet off the ground. And there is a girl, just a little bit of a girl, maybe 12 years old, who is already a black belt and she is formidable.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    As an update I checked out a jiu jitsu class that is very modern/self-defense oriented. It seemed great and I would sign up in a heartbeat, but it's extremely expensive and I'm finding that f*&^ing night meetings interfere greatly with everything I want to do in life.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I was disappointed when I opened this thread and discovered that it was not about marital aids.

My eyes must be playing tricks on me after a long day.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2006
    1st degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, I have not trained in years and can not longer kick above my head...or my my shoulder...or my belt...I have lost all flexibility and reaction time...getting old is a bitch...
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I was disappointed when I opened this thread and discovered that it was not about marital aids.

My eyes must be playing tricks on me after a long day.
    Seems to me that a combination of martial arts and marital aids would lead to some interesting.....and potentially fun.....times.....

"Honey......do you have any spare batteries?"
    "Kiiiiiii, ya!"
    "No, really.....I'm serious."
    "Eeeee, kabuuie!"
    "If you get me the batteries I will help you with the 'tai-ching-chong' move."
    "On my way to Rite-Aid!"
    "Hiiiiii, ohhhhh, tay!"

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Feb 2007, 10:40 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 18 Sep 2006, 5:16 PM
  3. Arts districts
    Economic and Community Development