Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Governor arrested for corruption in . . . . .

Registered
    Aug 1997

Governor arrested for corruption in . . . . .

Illinois governor arrested on corruption charges
    Feds: Blagojevich sought to profit from choosing Obama's Senate successor
    What is up with governors from Ilinois? Haven't the last few been suspected of or arrested for corruption? Wasn't Governor Ryan put in prison or something?

Can anyone else think of high-profile people arrested while in office?

Wasn't a Connecticut governor caught taking bribes? Two Arizona governors were convicted of crimes while in office, that I can remember. Some congressman just got jail time for drunk driving.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Dumbest Governor EVER!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Has the story been confirmed yet? I read it this morning on the Chicago Tribune website, but it doesn't seem to have been picked up anywhere else.

I'm not surprised. I'm relatively new to Illinois and I'm totally shocked at the amount of everyday corruption here. They need to put all of Springfield and most of Cook County in jail, too.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    That's not corruption, that's Chicago politics.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2006
    It's like Christmas morning here at my office.

All of the media outlets are confirming and the criminal complaint is posted at http://www.chicagotribune.com .
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    That's not corruption, that's Chicago politics.
    That's exactly what I was going to say. This is just a Chicago politician not figuring out that state politics in Illinois aren't quite as shady as city politics in Chicago...
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Wow, that is shameful behavior... but if you told me he was a whore-mongerer, then well, I would say it was truly shameful behavior

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    What is up with governors from Ilinois? Haven't the last few been suspected of or arrested for corruption? Wasn't Governor Ryan put in prison or something?

Wasn't a Connecticut governor caught taking bribes? Two Arizona governors were convicted of crimes while in office, that I can remember. Some congressman just got jail time for drunk driving.
    The last I heard, former Governor Ryan is still, and please correct me if I am wrong here, a resident of Wisconsin (more specifically, the US Federal minimum-security lockup near Oxford, WI).

Yes, it is SOP in Chicago politics, OKA The Chicago Political Machine™.

Am I not the only one in here more than a little bit 'concerned' about the fact that the incoming guy in our nation's top office (yes, (The Nameless One) himself) is cut from that exact same bolt of political cloth?

(And no, I will not 'duck and run!' from this one as I was expressing that exact same concern in these very same forvms before the election.)

Oh yea, former Governor Elliot Spitzer of New York was recently removed from office by the federal prosecutors, too.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Am I not the only one in here more than a little bit 'concerned' about the fact that the incoming guy in our nation's top office (yes, (The Nameless One) himself) is cut from that exact same bolt of political cloth?
    Why, because he lived in Chicago? Where's your proof of this?

If you don't have any it is just a baseless accusation.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I couldn't agree with you more. What more proof does one need that Obama is a criminal?

Another thing - and I'm sure you'll agree with me - Ronald Reagan was a freakin' closet red. I don't care what anyone says, but he emerged (as president of the Screen Actors Guild) from that whole gay/pinko/communist/unAmerican Hollywood bolt of cloth back in the 1950's. The Honorable Senator from Wisconsin around that time shoulda called him to the carpet...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Obama happened to live the last portion of his life in Chicago, yes, but the similarities end there. Obama's not from Chicago originally, and has never shown any tendencies toward Chicago-style politics. If we're going to go with the guilty-by-where-you-work-and-what-others-have-done, I'd be more concerned about Obama's time in DC.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Why, because he lived in Chicago? Where's your proof of this?

If you don't have any it is just a baseless accusation.
    What do you call having all of your opponents kicked off of the ballot in your first ever run for any public office?

What do you call having your thugs strongarm another state into opening your major opponent's legally sealed personal divorce records for use against him, forcing him off of the ballot, in your first run for federal office?

And these are not the workings of The Chicago Political Machine™? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Again, I will not 'duck and run!' from this.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What do you call having all of your opponents kicked off of the ballot in your first ever run for any public office?

What do you call having your thugs strongarm another state into opening your major opponent's legally sealed personal divorce records for use against him, forcing him off of the ballot, in your first run for federal office?

And these are not the workings of The Chicago Political Machine™? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Mike
    Has he ever been charged or even reprimanded for any improper behavior/abuse of power during his career as a public servant?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Has he ever been charged or even reprimanded for any improper behavior/abuse of power during his career as a public servant?
    I'm not making any accusations here, but you could have said the same thing about Blago yesterday.

HOWEVER, about the vacant lot next door to his Chicago home:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nds-appraisal/

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Moderator note:
    Folks... Go to the Obama thread with these posts, and stay on topic here. This is about a different person, even if they are from the same state.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Well, before we get too far off track, let me re-establish a bit.

It seems every politician or public official has someone accusing them of something. I really meant to start a discussion about public officials actually arrested, charged, convicted, and/or incarcerated for their crimes, while serving in their office. Not just vague accusations, but people actually facing specific criminal charges.

I guess under that standard, even Eliot Spitzer wouldn't count, as he seems to have escaped formal charges.

I remember the brewhaha over Evan Meacham in the governor of Arizona in the 80's, subject to a recall election, impeachment proceedings, and criminal prosecution all at the same time. Think once he was convicted of a felony, he became ineligible to hold office, and the recall and impeachment became unnecessary.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Can anyone else think of high-profile people arrested while in office?...
    Holds up left hand, points to the area at the base of my thumb. September '08, if memory serves. Freep.com might have a column inch or two.

Registered
    Jul 2002

jail

Spiro Agnew?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2005
    It seems every politician or public official has someone accusing them of something. I really meant to start a discussion about public officials actually arrested, charged, convicted, and/or incarcerated for their crimes, while serving in their office. Not just vague accusations, but people actually facing specific criminal charges.
    The current mayor of Birmingham, Alabama was arrested (very recently), although the charges stem from his time as head of the County Commission.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I'm not making any accusations here, but you could have said the same thing about Blago yesterday.

HOWEVER, about the vacant lot next door to his Chicago home:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nds-appraisal/

Mike
    No you couldn't. He has been under open scrutiny and investigations for over 3 years. Hence my opening post "Dumbest Governor EVER!".

So your statement is incorrect as usual.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A partisan list on the link below.

http://www.armchairsubversive.org/

Registered
    May 2005

Mike
    You make it sound like only Illinois/Chicago politicians are involved in things like this. Politics is ugly. But there's a difference between ugly politics and criminal activity.

I would vernture to say that 99% of politicians have at some point in their careers done something that to outsiders looks a little wrong. Not criminal, but just not something that probably should have been done.

I was was hoping you could describe what President-Elect Obama's "thugs" did to another state because I'm not gonna 'duck and run' either. So there!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Oh what a joyous day. It's about time justice is served. The pay-to-play politics has gone on long enough. Real change in Illinois begins now. Should be an interesting race in 2010.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2001

(And no, I will not 'duck and run!' from this one as I was expressing that exact same concern in these very same forvms before the election.)Mike
    I believe that a statement by Blago showed that he and Obama were as far apart as vegans and beef. I heard this second hand. So I don't know if the source is reputable.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Oh yea, former Governor Elliot Spitzer of New York was recently removed from office by the federal prosecutors, too.
    Um, no. For the record, Spitzer resigned in disgrace, and the feds announced last month that they will not be bringing any charges against him.

NY Times article

So much for those photos I took at his inauguration...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Feb 2013, 1:15 PM
  2. Lohan Arrested (Again)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 6:35 PM
  3. Microsoft street spammers arrested
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3