Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: Chuck E. Cheese Restaurants = hotbeds of violent crime

  1. #1
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,169

    Chuck E. Cheese Restaurants = hotbeds of violent crime

    http://sec.online.wsj.com/article/SB...364889613.html

    Anyone else catch the Wall Street Journal article on how Chuck E. Cheese (I prefer Charles Emerson Cheese) restaurants are on many police departments’ radars due tothe frequent assault and drunk & disorderly calls they seem to generate. Biker bars are evidently much safer by comparison.

    Guess there are some interesting dynamics going on with this. The first time I heard about Chuck E Cheese was during a plan review when I learned they were applying for a liquor license to serve beer – I thought at the time how strange beer in a kiddie pizza joint? until a fellow planner who had children explained ‘believe me the idea of offering the parents beer is nothing short of GENIUS’. I didn’t fully appreciate this sentiment until I had a child of my own!

    Do you think CEC restaurants attract so much violence because of exes meeting there on neutral ground with the kids and they proceed to get into fights about things like custody and support payments while they’re getting sauced?

    Why do you think Chuck E. Cheese restaurants are hotbeds of violence?


  2. #2
    Cyburbian boiker's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    West Valley, AZ
    Posts
    3,895
    It sounds like Vegas but the machines never really pay out?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

  3. #3
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,329
    Parental instinct.

    Your kid gets "bullied" by some other kid. You're likkered up and decide to administer your own discipline on the bully, but unfortunately that kid's parent is also likkered up and ready to take you to town.

    Fighting ensues.

    Also, since many parents/kids frequent Mr. Cheese's establishment in groups, there is also the wondrous potential of gang warfare.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

    Six seasons and a movie!

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Duke Of Dystopia's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Parental instinct.

    Your kid gets "bullied" by some other kid. You're likkered up and decide to administer your own discipline on the bully, but unfortunately that kid's parent is also likkered up and ready to take you to town.

    Fighting ensues.
    I concur wholehartedly!

    Great entertainment though!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Posts
    451
    I'm in the CEC portion of my lifespan right now - twin four year olds think that it's the greatest place on Earth. We actually got my son potty trained with a combination of sticker charts and CEC rewards.

    Between the horrible service by pimple faced teenagers, the completely unedible pizza, warm beer, hundreds of screaming kids (also crying because they can't have a turn in the monster truck), loud mechanical singing bears/monkeys, and the always constant exposure to e coli in the ball pit.......I have no idea what would bring anyone to violence in that place.

    I feel slightly violent after leaving there. Like I want to kick the cat or my husband when I get home.

    It's just a horrible combination of the worst elements of modern commerce and other people's kids. Ugh. I think Hell is a gigantic Chunk E. Cheese.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,029
    Blog entries
    2
    About 10-15 years ago, there was a violent double murder at a CEC in the Denver area. I could see the theory about fights though.

    God, I hope that if I have kids, I have the wearwithall to say "NO!" when/if they ask about going there...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  7. #7
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    http://sec.online.wsj.com/article/SB...364889613.html
    Why do you think Chuck E. Cheese restaurants are hotbeds of violence?
    Free-flowing beer. Parents go there to get hammered under the auspices of kiddie fun and domestic disputes occur.

    CEC slogan:
    "Where a kid can be a kid and a parent can be a drunken lout."

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post

    God, I hope that if I have kids, I have the wearwithall to say "NO!" when/if they ask about going there...
    Don't worry Z, one of your future kids friends will have a birthday party there and you'll have to attend. It's part of the deal
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    As far south of SoCal as I Will Go
    Posts
    5,095
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post

    God, I hope that if I have kids, I have the wearwithall to say "NO!" when/if they ask about going there...
    Sorry dude there is no way around it...but the good news is you can be a pro at the mole wack and skiball to win your kid a crapticular prize.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

  10. #10
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,043
    Blog entries
    6
    I wouldn't want to eat at any restaurant whose mascot is a rat. I feel rats have no place in restaurants. It is not hygenic. And apparently this one has stayed so long that the managers decided to give him a sweatshirt.

    "Hey, Mike, send Chuck-e-cheese out front. Some of the kids want to meet him?"

    "Can't. He's dead. I told you guys not to set out the traps last night."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  11. #11
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,029
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Don't worry Z, one of your future kids friends will have a birthday party there and you'll have to attend. It's part of the deal
    Quote Originally posted by CPSUraf
    Sorry dude there is no way around it...but the good news is you can be a pro at the mole wack and skiball to win your kid a crapticular prize.
    Hmmm... me thinks it is time to buy that ranch/vineyard in the backwaters of Uruguay or better yet, begin my co-housing hippie commune off the grid. Raise my kids that way (and have a better setting for generating my crackpot schemes and crazy theories... )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    The local CEC's had to surrender thier liquor license in order to remain in business. I didn't realize the overall company has this reputation..

  13. #13
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,324

    Yup....

    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Free-flowing beer. Parents go there to get hammered under the auspices of kiddie fun and domestic disputes occur.

    CEC slogan:
    "Where a kid can be a kid and a parent can be a drunken lout."
    Zman is right, there was a nasty double or triple homicide at a CEC over a decade ago in the Denver/Aurora area

    Both my wife and I have witnessed nasty domestic disputes at CEC's in Florida We aren't fans anymore....not that we really were in the first place Our recent visits took place during other kids birthday parties and we always know where the nearest exit is..... Lucky for us, Arizona isn't a hotbed of CEC construction
    Skilled Adoxographer

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Veloise's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Posts
    4,786

    Helpful advice AIB the Dating thread

    If it becomes known to you that your step-parent auditioner has a child who shares your b-day, run like hell.

    You do not want to spend your birthday at the subject franchise, even on an every-other-year decree.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    I'm well versed in CEC having two daughters under 6. We probably go 3 times a year. They aren't that bad, although it depends on which one you go too. The problems start when there's just to many people in there with all the kids running around. I've never seen any instances of conflict, but I'm sure it happens. We tend to go on weeknights, when there's hardly anyone there.

    And I've never had an adult beverage there. I think I would feed too weird.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,872
    I don't think they serve beer at CECs around here. At least, I've never noticed it (and its not the kind of thing I would miss...).

    What I HAVE noticed at these places are nothing more than Gamblers Training Headquarters. Comparing my experiences visiting Atlantic City and CEC, I'd have to say the only major differences are the age of the clientele and the lack of an all-you-can-eat shrimp bar. Seriously, I frickin' HATE Chuck E. Cheeses! There, I said it

    Add to the gambling angle the atrociously horrifying and CHEAP plastic crapola the kids get to "buy" with all of their "winnings" and I leave every birthday party full of lots and lots of pent of frustration for the less desirable facets of our society.

    Now that I know alcohol is in the mix, I'm even more excited about CEC! If there is anything better than driving home drunk in the middle of the day, its doing it with your kids in the car...

    Sorry if I have offended any fans, but I feel better now...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Ironically, one of cyburbia's banner ads is a CEC coupon.

  18. #18
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    I don't think they serve beer at CECs around here. At least, I've never noticed it (and its not the kind of thing I would miss...).

    What I HAVE noticed at these places are nothing more than Gamblers Training Headquarters. Comparing my experiences visiting Atlantic City and CEC, I'd have to say the only major differences are the age of the clientele and the lack of an all-you-can-eat shrimp bar. Seriously, I frickin' HATE Chuck E. Cheeses! There, I said it

    Add to the gambling angle the atrociously horrifying and CHEAP plastic crapola the kids get to "buy" with all of their "winnings" and I leave every birthday party full of lots and lots of pent of frustration for the less desirable facets of our society.

    Now that I know alcohol is in the mix, I'm even more excited about CEC! If there is anything better than driving home drunk in the middle of the day, its doing it with your kids in the car...

    Sorry if I have offended any fans, but I feel better now...
    Not that I'm a huge fan of CEC, but I dont' see the connection to gambling. I don't see it as any different than the video arcades of the 1980s where all the pre-teen/teenage kids hung out.

    However, if you can convince me it leads to gambling, I will therefore have an excuse to no longer take my kids there.

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Raf's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Location
    As far south of SoCal as I Will Go
    Posts
    5,095
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Ironically, one of cyburbia's banner ads is a CEC coupon.
    I am no cyber slueth but i think google chooses it because we are talking about "chuckyecheesy" (as my daughter calls it). Set up a FAC about Best buy and sure enough it will pop up.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

  20. #20
    Cyburbian wahday's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    New Town
    Posts
    3,872
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Not that I'm a huge fan of CEC, but I dont' see the connection to gambling. I don't see it as any different than the video arcades of the 1980s where all the pre-teen/teenage kids hung out.

    However, if you can convince me it leads to gambling, I will therefore have an excuse to no longer take my kids there.
    Well, I have no hard proof. But the whole dynamic of putting money (or, rather, tokens) into the machines and then getting "winnings" back in the form of tickets which are then cashed in for goods seems an awful lot like casino action (cashing in your chips, as it were). At a video arcade, you put money in and play the game and that's it. I guess you could argue one gets "winnings" in the form of being able to play longer if you are doing well at the game, but it seems/feels different to me.

    Don't get me wrong, my sarcastic rant aside, I have never banned my children from going to a birthday party there, but I do usually walk away feeling disturbed. Fortunately, my kids don't seem too interested in it anyway.

    I think maybe the creepiest part is when the guy (or gal) comes out in the Chuck suit and leads the kids in song and dance. Totally weird. I know its like Mickey Mouse, but at least he isn't ENTIRELY a character made up for a commercial purpose (just turned into a corporate shill). I mean he DID appear in a few cartoons. I'd have to look into Chuck's filmography, but I don't think there is much of note beyond the B movie circuit...

    Or maybe the animatronic Chuck and friends playing in their "band" is weirder. Its really hard to decide...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

  21. #21
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    Between the horrible service by pimple faced teenagers, the completely unedible pizza, warm beer, hundreds of screaming kids (also crying because they can't have a turn in the monster truck), loud mechanical singing bears/monkeys, and the always constant exposure to e coli in the ball pit...
    I went to McDonald's for lunch today and as I was walking out, I saw a few kids playing in the playscape and because of your post, the first thing I thought of was, "What horrible mothers... letting their kids play in the e coli pit!"

    Thanks.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  22. #22
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I went to McDonald's for lunch today and as I was walking out, I saw a few kids playing in the playscape and because of your post, the first thing I thought of was, "What horrible mothers... letting their kids play in the e coli pit!"

    Thanks.
    Glad I could help. It's the same motherly instinct that makes me yell "not safe" when I see a kid riding a bike without a helmet.

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,775
    I took my kid once, to a birthday party for another kid. We didn't stay long. It was chaos. Six, at least, birthday parties, all ages. Makes McDonald's look like paradise. I told him, I don't care who it is, what it is, we are never, ever going back. And we didn't.

  24. #24
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,169
    New twist on the usual Chuck e cheese assaults. Seems that folks are now smacking the mouse around!

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29493309/

    Quote Originally posted by wahday
    I don't think they serve beer at CECs around here. At least, I've never noticed it (and its not the kind of thing I would miss...).
    What? You don't stop off at the local CEC after a hard day at work and meet with coworkers for beers?
    Last edited by Maister; 09 Jul 2009 at 11:12 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  25. #25
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    Glad I could help. It's the same motherly instinct that makes me yell "not safe" when I see a kid riding a bike without a helmet.
    Perhaps you've bought into the negative tactics anti-bicyclists and helmet manufacturers have been selling. Take a look at this .pdf for an authoritative counterpoint.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 May 2012, 2:48 PM
  2. The Chuck Berry Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Jan 2011, 9:10 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 20 Apr 2009, 5:16 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Feb 2009, 2:41 PM
  5. Chuck Norris - Is this funny?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 01 Feb 2006, 12:33 AM