Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploring Google Maps

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Exploring Google Maps

This thread is being introduced to provide a method for the geography geeks and satellite image geeks that hang in Club Cyburbia to share hints and directions for exploring Google Maps.....and locating cool places and images. This Bear spends a lot of time wandering around the world.....especially the states......using Google Maps to do all of the following.....

Follow routes that I have personally traveled on.
    Look for buildings that I have been in.
    Follow routes that I have read about, heard about, or am just curious about.
    Search for industrial areas, to get a feel for the logistics of movement and place.
    Check out airport design.
    Evaluate the limited-access highway networks for cities and metros.
    Determine community growth by evident suburbs (cul-de-sac land).
    Consider the overall impression left to the viewer, based on the season when the satellite images were taken.
    Gaze into and at natural wonders.
    Explore quirky and unique road patterns.
    Follow railroad routings.
    Follow river and stream routings.
    Gaze in awe at the size of waterfront homes.
    Yadda.

Many of these things may be near-and-dear to Cyburbians. Check out the suggested "look-see" locations. Provide some of your own, too. Let's go exploring!
    _____

Vilnius, Lithuania.....Just northwest of the CBD is a rather unique roundabout. A portion of it is elevated over a main route. The roundabout helps feed that main route.

Toronto VS Twin Cities.....If you spend some time (at the same resolution) comparing Toronto with the Twin Cities, you get a real visual understanding of the difference between a "car-friendly metro" and a "pedestrian-friendly metro". The Twins are criss-crossed by limited-access highways. Toronto has some of the widest limited-access highways.....but very few considering its' huge size.

Ladd Circle, Portland.....Portland, OR.....just SE of the CBD is a unique neighborhood. It has a circle street in the center, with obvious "spikes".

Moscow & Crowded Roads.....The thing that I noticed about the limited-access and main highways of Moscow was that they all have very heavy traffic. Apparently, freedom provides vehicles.

Bedford Park Railyard......The huge CSX railyard in Bedford Park (Chicago, just south of Midway Airport) is incredible. A railfan's dream.
    _____

What explore you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Ladd Circle, Portland.....Portland, OR.....just SE of the CBD is a unique neighborhood. It has a circle street in the center, with obvious "spikes".
    Bear
    It's called Ladd's Addition The streets are narrow, lined with lovely elm trees, has five parks, and four rose beds at the N, S, E, W coordinates, and indeed has the beloved (and hated) circle that you mention. In my younger years I dated a fellow that lived not too far from there and we would often bike through the area on weekends.

Some other cool things you might like to find in the Portland Metro area:
    Hillsboro Arch (hint: its on the MAX line)
    40-Mile Loop bike/hike path
    Pioneer Courthouse Square
    Chinese Classical Garden
    PGE Park
    Portland State University/South Park Blocks
    Waterfront Park
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I found myself looking at wikimapia today. I was looking at the Pittsburgh area. It was different in that it highlighted and labeled certain areas - parks, neighborhoods, tunnels, schools.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    During the Summer Olympics, I spent quite a bit of time wandering around Beijing. Much is uninteresting industrial or nondescript worker's housing but it was educational to wander around the Forbidden City and the older parts of the city.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Mostly what I look at are street patterns in cities abroad. I especially like to look at underdeveloped countries like Afghanistan, any of the African nations, etc. Look at the high density areas in cities like Mumbai, India; Rio (Brazil), etc.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    Vilnius, Lithuania.....Just northwest of the CBD is a rather unique roundabout. A portion of it is elevated over a main route. The roundabout helps feed that main route.
    Many of the UK trunk road and motorway junctions/intersections are constructed in such a fashion. For example, in Sheffield the junction of the A57 (Parkway) and A6102 (Prince of Wales Road) is almost identical to the Vilnius example. If you trawl up the M1 motorway you will also see many similar examples.

I love Google Earth and have spent quite a few hours having a poke around. Far flung Asian cities are a favourite, and also the tiny islands in the Pacific and Indian Oceans - e.g. Diego Garcia, The Pitcairns. Airports and military bases are interesting too. Somewhere in the US is a massive area of mothballed aircraft, the name escapes me now. It's quite a sight.

A couple of local features to me for you guys to look up, should you wish:

- The horseshoe shaped building in Leeds (north east of the city centre) - despite winning design awards, the apartments have been abandoned since construction was completed as a design fault meant that they were liable to collapse. They were meant to provide affordabble housing close to the city centre.

- The glut of back-to-back terraced houses in the inner-city areas of Leeds - particularly between the A64 and A58 trunk roads, and south of the M621 motorway.

Many of the UK cities can be viewed on maps.live.com too, in almost an axonometric view.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post

Somewhere in the US is a massive area of mothballed aircraft, the name escapes me now. It's quite a sight.
    HFH - the place is Davis-Monthan AFB in Tuscon, Arizona

Registered
    May 2003

More To Explore

Here are a few more cool places to visit, via Google Map technology (or via any of the other satellite mapping sites).....

Lake Oswego, OR.....This is the suburb of Portland that my son lives in, so it was a given for this Bear to explore here. Check out the actual lake....and zoom in on the house on the island, with its' own bridge. Now that's living!

Mount St. Helen's.....Use the 2000 ft Google Map scale to zoom in to the much-changed-since-the-blast volcano. Too cool!

Mount Rushmore.....I checked out this National Monument. In the satellite images on Google the actual mountain is somewhat obscured by clouds. (Visited a couple times by this Bear.)

Sunshine Skyway.....Cool views of the impressive Sunshine Skyway, including the older bridge (that was replaced after an accident).

Empire Mine.....Located in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the huge Empire Mine (just west of Marquette) is quite a site from the air. The iron ore mining complex employs more than 1000 Yoopers.

Sault Ste. Marie, MI.....Check out the world's busiest locks (in terms of tonnage). Notice the stream that winds through the CBD. That is the Sault Power Canal, almost 3 miles in length, racing downstream at 5 to 7 miles per hour. The water pours through the longest (at 1/4 mile) horizontal shaft in the world, providing electrical power for the eastern Upper Peninsula.

Rouge Plant.....For those who like to check out images of industrial might, the Ford Motor Rouge Plant is the vehicle of choice. This plant.....actually 93 separate buildings.....employed more than 100,000 in the 1930s. The facility was designed by Albert Kahn. Check out all of the railroad tracks that circle and run between the buildings. There are over 100 miles of track in the complex.

The facility even has its' own I-94 interchange (although it may be signed differently) and its' own ship yard.

This Bear toured the plant back in 1966.....watched them making Mustangs.
    _____

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Naval Base Swastika

Here's an interesting Google Map satellite view.....at the Coronado Naval Base in San Diego, one of their buildings is shaped like a swastika. The Navy has indicated that they are working on some minor changes that will significantly change the view from the air. As of this morning (last day of Feb 09) it still shows as a giant swastika.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by vagaplanner View post
    Mostly what I look at are street patterns in cities abroad. I especially like to look at underdeveloped countries like Afghanistan, any of the African nations, etc. Look at the high density areas in cities like Mumbai, India; Rio (Brazil), etc.
    On a similar note, I like to hunt down North American-style development in places where one would least expect it.

Looking around Harare, Zimbabwe, even from a Google Satellite view, it doesn't appear that much different than a low-density North American city, although what's on the ground may tell a different story. Scrolling around, though, it's damn hard to find a shantytown or anything that looks like a South African township. The Rhodesia-era Salisbury was supposedly a well-off city, though.

Much of Namibia has a lot of development that is "Phoenix-ish", for lack of a better word. There's also North American-style subdivisions on the fringes of most large Chinese cities.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    From examining Google air photos, I'm completely amazed at how the Italians were able to run their major motorways where they did, especially along and near their northwestern Mediterranean coast. Yet, due to its strategic location on major cross-continent trade routes, commerce across southern Europe would have ground to a complete halt decades ago had they not done that.

Example, the A-10/A-26 interchange at Voltri, Italy.

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 01 Mar 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Registered
    May 2003

Cul-De-Sac Trophy

Exploring Google Maps and Live Search Maps I nominate the Kansas City Metro for the Cul-De-Sac Trophy. Any others I am missing that may be more deserving of this prestigious dead-end honor?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Jackson Laboratory

This morning this Bear was exploring Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, Bass Harbor, and all the other cool places that are in that rocky shoreline area of Maine. I noticed a large cluster of buildings south of Bar Harbor. Large parking lots seemed to bookend the linear complex. Good old Google helped me make a preliminary determination of this interesting cluster of buildings.

SWAG Method: Jackson Laboratory, with over one thousand employees involved in genetic reasearch.

So, I just have to ask a local resident, luckless pedestrian, a couple key questions:

1. Was my SWAG on target?
    2. Do truckloads of mice roar up and down your coastline highway?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Just south of 38100 Buckskin Lane Crosslake MN has the longest residential dock in the state of Minnesota.

It is 2 football fields long.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    This morning this Bear was exploring Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, Bass Harbor, and all the other cool places that are in that rocky shoreline area of Maine. I noticed a large cluster of buildings south of Bar Harbor. Large parking lots seemed to bookend the linear complex. Good old Google helped me make a preliminary determination of this interesting cluster of buildings.

SWAG Method: Jackson Laboratory, with over one thousand employees involved in genetic reasearch.

So, I just have to ask a local resident, luckless pedestrian, a couple key questions:

1. Was my SWAG on target?
    2. Do truckloads of mice roar up and down your coastline highway?

Bear
    Not that it amounts to Cyber-staliking, but I do believe I have in the past stumbled upon a particular garage in Swanton, OH where someone I know does a considerable amount of weekend putzing and listening to horn bands. . .

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've certainly done my fair share of Google mapping and Google Earth exploring. I've checked out pretty much all national monuments and national parks. I've looked for all the places I've lived to see how the area has changed. I recently explored some of the tiny islands in the Pacific and Carribean. Midway Island is so small. Hard to believe it was a such a hard fought battle ground. My favorite place in the world so far? Islands of Palau (about 300 miles east of Philippines). Now THAT looks like paradise!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

I love playing on Google Maps. I especially like the cities that have some of the clearer, high-quality images available (Baltimore and Washington D.C. are the only two I know of). The only problem I have with Google maps is that I'm afraid my curiosity will get the best of me and that by the tiime it's all said and done, there won't be a single square inch on this planet (or at least in this country) that I haven't already seen. Especially when you combine this with various YouTube videos.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I love to explore tropical islands on google map/earth, especially on long days at work when things are slow (not too often). I also love to 'drive by' my grandparents house and various family members that are far away. I think my favorite places to go are national monuments and historic sites because people tend to post lots of pictures on google earth.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I like to scout the worlds navel ports. A commercial ship of any kind is very different than a warship. Another reason I will be added to the no fly list.

Also, I like to see the "Mega Dam's".
    German aerial photography.
    Castle's

I also use it for work. When no address has been assigned to a parcel, and the owner does not live on site, you can closely estimate what the address would be by using the google maps, Street Place Finder Orange Dude. It will give you an approximate address if it does not have one.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Exploring Google Maps and Live Search Maps I nominate the Kansas City Metro for the Cul-De-Sac Trophy. Any others I am missing that may be more deserving of this prestigious dead-end honor?

Bear
    Finally, an outsider confirms it...thank you. I have been fighting cul-de-sacs for years and finally got some pretty good policy passed in my last job.

Many of our 108 (plus or minus) municipalities that have no reason for being are still stuck in the 1960's with their street patterns. Is this a reflection of the planners or the dumbass elected officials?
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Registered
    May 2003
    Lately I have been using BING maps rather than GOOGLE. Better, IMO.....

Wanna see something interesting, scary, but probably more common than we (maybe just me) think? Do a BING MAP search of Marquette, MI. Move to the southwest to the little town of Palmer, MI. Notice the huge mining operation to the west of town. That is the Empire Mine and a bit farher west is the Tilden Mine. Huge iron ore mining complexes.

Move a tad south of the open pit area, which is very obvious. Check out what appears to be a hug tailings pond.....it is ORANGE.

I have driven in this area and don't recall seeing that. Scary.

Of course, I was driving a vehicle made out of......iron (ore).

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Paper Mills

This morning I was reading the on-line version of Marquette, Michigan's Mining Journal. There was an article about the paper mill in Quinnesec, MI.....they are doing quite well, thank you. I checked the web site of the mill's parent company and then did some BING MAPS exploring.

In addition to the Quinnesec mill, Verso Paper Corporation has mills in Sartell, MN, Jay, ME, and Bucksport, ME.

Fun to look at the mills from above. I usually check out the complex, trying to determine where the loads come in by rail and by truck, check for retaining ponds, log yards, other interesting view-from-above features. I also check out the main roads going to the mill, assuming that a large paper facility will place a regular string of vehicles coming and going through any adjacent town or built-up area.

One could also assume that these mills are the dominant (and high-paying) business in these areas. My nostrils reminded me (I have a "scratch and sniff" monitor ) that paper mills can be smelly.

Quinnesec is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is part of a small metropolitan area that includes Iron Mountain and Norway. Sartell is north of St. Cloud, MN. The mill hugs the Mississippi River. The mill in Jay is in the western part of the state, along the Androscoggin River. The Bucksport facility is near the coast, not too far (as the log floats) from Acadia National Park.

Fun stuff.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    It's called Ladd's Addition The streets are narrow, lined with lovely elm trees, has five parks, and four rose beds at the N, S, E, W coordinates, and indeed has the beloved (and hated) circle that you mention. In my younger years I dated a fellow that lived not too far from there and we would often bike through the area on weekends.

Some other cool things you might like to find in the Portland Metro area:
    Hillsboro Arch (hint: its on the MAX line)
    40-Mile Loop bike/hike path
    Chinese Classical Garden
    PGE Park
    Portland State University/South Park Blocks
    Waterfront Park
    On my trip to Portland recently I managed to drive through Ladd's Addition, and indeed became disoriented and ended up going the entirely wrong direction once I made my way out.

We also visited:
    Mt. Tabor Park (great views from up top!)
    The Hollywood District
    Kennedy School
    The Grotto
    Pearl District/Rogue Ale House/Deschutes/Powell's City of Books
    Portland State neighborhood
    Lloyd District
    Portland Aerial Tram (again great views)
    Forest Park/Rose Garden
    Lake Oswego/Wanker's Corners/West Linn

Very nice town.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2003

Maple Grove

I was wandering around on BING maps in metro Minneapolis - St. Paul. While following one of the numerous expressways I noticed what appeared to be a "lifestyle center" in Maple Grove,MN. I wanted to verify my guess, so I sliced into Wikipedia. The picture they show on the "Lifestyle Center" entry is just such a retail venue.....in Maple Grove.

Now I am headed for Toledo, to see if the pair of lifestyle centers are scanned from the heavens.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    I've used Google maps to render a quote on snow removal for an existing customer that wanted to add another location. Never had to leave the comfort of my desk chair...
    Proudly spending today building the dilapidated housing stock of the 22nd century.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bicycling directions on Google maps!
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 3:08 PM
  2. Blurred areas in Google Maps
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 04 Jun 2010, 5:40 PM
  3. Replies: 4