Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 201 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 4 (2009)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 4 (2009)

Happy New Year, Cyburbians!!!

If you are reading this at or around the midnight hour......you are enjoying the old "out with the old, in with the new" dance that most of the world does as a New Year rolls from time zone to time zone. If you are reading it on Thursday morning, the first day of 2009, as bacon and eggs (with coffee) sizzles in the background.....hope your hangover goes away!

Katie has informed me that I have to kiss her when the clock strikes midnight. Being an old codger, I was kinda hoping she would watch my ball drop, too.

Seriously.....a very warm Happy New Year to all my friends at Cyburbia.

I am off to kiss my beautiful wife.

PS - She also told me I have to kiss Molly (our Golden Retriever). Anybody know if 2009 is the "year of the dog"? It apparently is in my house.

Bear Puckering
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Happy New Year!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Happy New Year !

Who else was in bed asleep before 11 PM and woke up sober ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Happy New Year all.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Check on the sober, but I was too wired to hit the hay. (Read the paper first.)

http://photos.mlive.com/grandrapidsp...l_drop_11.html

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Happy New Year !

I was.....

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Happy New Year !

I was. Just a beer with dinner and then off to bed at the usual 10:30 time. Didn't even hear any of the fireworks or gunfire this year. Our oldest and most nervous dog lost his hearing late in 2008 so we were actually able to sleep this year. I'm afraid he's going to be on "The List" this year.

Happy New Year, All Y'All!!!!
    Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Happy New Year !

I was, but then again, I am sick too. You can't party real well when you sound like you are trying to hack up a lung.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Happy New Year to all!!!!

The kids were gone, the hubby was sick so we stayed in. One glass of bubbly and sadly off to seperate beds cause hubby can't breath and has been shaking the walls snoring.

It is all good...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Marley, Molly & Us

I have a funny story to share. This happened just a few minutes ago. It might actually be a better fit in some sort of "irony" thread. Story follows.....

In The Dining Room
    This morning (New Year's Day) Katie was considering driving over to see the movie Marley & Me. Her plans included driving with her sister to either the small cinema complex in the town of Wauseon, OH, or motoring into inner-ring Toledo suburb, Maumee, and catch the flick at the jumbo cinema extravaganza. To get her somewhat inspired to see the movie she started to search the net for snippets from the flick.

She located a couple advertisements (trailers) and watched them.

In The Kitchen
    While Katie was watching the Marley vids, this Bear was frying some bacon. On the menu for today is a locally-favorite salad....."Betty Salad".....that includes romaine lettuce, spinich leaves, boiled eggs, bean sprouts, and crumbled bits of real bacon. The salad was made famous by a Toledo restauranter named Betty Timko. Her estate still sells her special salad dressing in local stores. Betty Salad is very good.......not exactly a healthy salad.....but yummy for the tummy, and a favorite on holidays.

"Check This Out!"
    I finished frying the bacon and crumbled it into tiny pieces. Meanwhile, Katie found a trailer for Marley that she wanted me to see. She called me out to the dining room and we started to watch it together.

As we viewed the preview of a movie that illustrates a bad dog named Marley.....our dog (Golden Retriever) named Molly decides that she wanted some bacon. She got her big front paws on the counter and nudged the plate of bacon bits toward her. She managed to devour some of the bits until she knocked over a fork.

Katie and this Bear, watching the bad dog video, looked at each other and exclaimed, "Oh, oh.!"
    _____

That's my bit of bad dog irony on this New Year's Day.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

That's cool....

...ZG was looking at the on-line menu where my son works in Berkeley. There are some scrolling pictures of staff next to the menu. "Hey" she says, "there's Alex!" Sure enough, my kid's image is on the world wide web.

Nice menu, BTW. We plan to eat there today. I can't wait to see him again.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Not feeling my best this morning....
    Watching the NHL Winter Classic from Wrigley though.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ...ZG was looking at the on-line menu where my son works in Berkeley. There are some scrolling pictures of staff next to the menu. "Hey" she says, "there's Alex!" Sure enough, my kid's image is on the world wide web.

Nice menu, BTW. We plan to eat there today. I can't wait to see him again.
    Have some nice white wine for me!
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2005

Happy New Year!

We ended up having a good time with friends last night. I'm still in my jammies and waiting for the pizza delivery guy. Not a bad way to start of the New Year.

My sister and her family headed back to Boston. I'll miss my little nephew. It was fun having him around. He's a cutie.

Tomorrow I work for 2/3 of a day and then drive to Cleveland with my dad to attend his cousin's funeral.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    My wife got a $500 bonus from her boss at work. She was the only one in the entire office. I'm a proud dude because she busts her ass and really cares about the company.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well i spent my new years in Vancouver, and it started snowing as we left the pub! So so so cold but a beautiful place!

Happy New Years to all you Cyburbians!!!!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Happy New Year fellow Cyburbians!

I spent a good chunk of my Thursday afternoon driving around to various retail outlets in northern Metropolitan Detroit in search of a Wii console for the wife and I. I have come to the realization that there is not one for sale at any Target, KMart, Gamestop, Best Buy, or Meijer within an 8 mile radius of Birmingham, Michigan... and let me tell you, that is a lot of Targets, KMarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, and Meijers!

Oh well... I guess the money is better served by sitting in my bank account.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004

Happy New Year

New Year's Eve was a working holiday for me, pulled an 8-5 at city hall and then afterwards performed in three old time radio shows at the Fest downtown. Mrs. Maister is always kvetching about how it seems I'm never home to ring in the new year at midnight (I've worked the New Year Fest for the last four years) so this year the moment I got done with the third show I hastily packed up all the equipment and broke some speed limits driving back home. I managed to walk in the door at 11:57! Not only was she surprised by this but it also takes some wind out of her sails for when I work next New Year's Eve! Had one champagne toast and promptly trundled off to bed like some decrepit old geezer after getting his Hot Toddy and Lawrence Welk fix.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    One of the things I love about winter is that I can use the screened porch as a temporary refrigerator for things that won't fit into the refrigerator. It really comes in handy.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody at work today ?
    Not me.

If at work, I can picture it being slow, so more time for Cyburbia.
    or possible RJ time.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Anybody at work today ?
    Not me.

I am. First day of work in 14 days. I don't even know where to start.

I'm exhausted because during the break my body went back to its normal schedule of sleeping until 11am and staying up until 1am. Now I have to force myself back to the man's schedule. Ugh.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Went to bed at a friends house around 2:30 am - wasn't going to drive home after the celebration. Woke up at 8:00 and drove home (Mrs. P had her car there too). I was at the golf course for an 11:00 am round with a pitcher of bloody marys. Crashed around 8:30 last night after traditional cabbage, black eyed peas and ham dinner.

At work now for a few hours of trying to be busy. Very little traffic on the roads this morning.

Hey WSU, go to Best Buy on Friday mornings to look for Wii. The trucks deliver on Thursday nights (at least in our area). That's how I ...I mean Santa... got one this year.

Hey Natski, welcome to the northern hemisphere.

Kjel, hope your enjoyed your Carolina run.

btrage, are you buying earplugs with the bonus (little girls can be very loud, got one too).

RJ & ZG, have fun on the left coast.

zman - drink a it will make you feel better, temporarily.

Bear, Thanks for begining the year properly with a new RTDNTOTO!

bubba, congrats to the dawgs!

To all you Cyburbian Slackers ... Happy New Year! Now get back to work so you can RJ in a couple hours.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Anybody at work today ?
    Not me.

or possible RJ time.
    We have the day off, but I can't enjoy it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I was in bed by 10:30 with not a drop of wine in me. It was cold and very windy so for once no *bang, Bang bang* of teen setting off fireworks all night thus the hounds of hell slept like babies.

At work today but not many other poor souls here and that's fine fewer folks to see me breaking the dress code in jeans and comfy sweater.

This weekend put all the wedding invites together now that all the addresses are done...oh the joy
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    One of the things I love about winter is that I can use the screened porch as a temporary refrigerator for things that won't fit into the refrigerator. It really comes in handy.
    My parents use their attic, not as convienant but it works.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 201 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141