+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbia MsRED

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Columbia MsRED

my top pick...

Anyone have a rough estimate of their acceptance rate? Or when they will be coming to a decision on Summer 09 enrollment?

Their admissions doesnt release ANY info!

Registered
    Aug 2008

the answer to your question, sir

The acceptance rate was 37% in 2008, 44% in 2007, and 39% in 2006 (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/opir/abst..._2006-2008.htm).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Thanks!

looks like it will be well under 40% this year considering RE layoffs...wouldnt be suprised if it was below 30%.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Last year the admissions decision for the Columbia msred was put online on April 1 and a letter went out soon after. I was rejected last year, but plan to apply again next year.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    i am sorry to hear it.

if you dont mind me asking, what type of background are you coming from? what additional qualifications did admissions seem to be on the hunt for?

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I started a small real estate investment llc in 2005 in upstate new york that buys distressed property, rehabs, and then rents. Considering I started with almost nothing, and now have 20 units spread over 8 buildings, I thought it was a good story. I graduated from top 15 school undergrad in 2001 and had a 3.6, I never took the gmat. I had LORs from two re developers that are my parents friends and a third LOR from an msred columbia grad doing the same thing I'm doing in Albany, NY. I thought getting in was a high probability. I think my short coming was that I wasn't able to flash big numbers. Meaning, I'm not a broker dealing with OPM in the millions, but rather my own in the 100K range. I don't think I dressed up my accomplishments enough, and perhaps I came across as a small-time slumlord. It's all conjecture really. Hope it helps.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Columbia rates

Columbia accepts about 76% of the applicants for their urban planning/architecture program. Not so impressive at the graduate level. Their undergrad rate is about 16%. And the cost is about 36K per year--but of course you're paying mostly for the name, Columbia like many Ivy's with grad programs are not exclusive at all for grad students.

N

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    I could be wrong, but I doubt their architecture program admits 76% (MUP yes).

I also wonder how much self selection goes on when it comes to applying to these kinds of schools. On the surface Penn doesn't seem like it's a very competetive school to get into (for planning), and yet I was more than impressed by the caliber of students in the program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by akb0303 View post
    Columbia accepts about 76% of the applicants for their urban planning/architecture program. Not so impressive at the graduate level. Their undergrad rate is about 16%. And the cost is about 36K per year--but of course you're paying mostly for the name, Columbia like many Ivy's with grad programs are not exclusive at all for grad students.

N
    what??

architecture is roughly 25%. and 36k in 2009 is a joke for a private school, esp. an ivy. undergrad private schools in urban areas could exceed 50k.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by cj6a View post
    The acceptance rate was 37% in 2008, 44% in 2007, and 39% in 2006 (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/opir/abst..._2006-2008.htm).
    Thanks for the info. How did you get this? Very impressive.
    What do they look for in who to admit? Acceptance rate seems pretty high considering Columbia name. USC and MIT both have lower acceptance rate.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    I think Columbia will be notifying applicants a bit earlier for Summer 09 start. At least before their stated April 1 notification deadline. Last year was different because program started in September so applicants didn't hear from them till Apr 1.
    I know that USC began notifying applicants on Feb 1 and will end before Apr 1 for Summer 09 start.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    does columbia post their decision directly on their online application program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    They told me they will notify via email. I'm pretty sure once we are notified, we can also see it online.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    i am applying for 2009 as well.

if you do not mind me asking, what type of industry background do you have?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    about five years of corporate real estate analysis at a major nyc bank. how about you?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    2 yrs at a big 10 NYC architecture firm. (architectural internships throughout 5 yrs of B.Arch).

ive been searching for any real information of the number of seats this year. previous seating of 100 was competitive enough even when the market was up. if you have any applicant #s for 09' please feel free to share.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    I can't imagine '09 numbers being released for quite some time (as in probably not until next year)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    im not expecting to get officially released numbers...you wont get that until this upcoming class almost graduates. sorry if i said "real information."

looking for inside information.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    I think the total application number should be about same as last year's, if not less. In any case, about one in three will get offers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    i would think there will be more applicants from RE layoffs.

what are you thoughts behind a decline in apps?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Anyone hear back yet?

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Nothing yet. I am hoping to get a answer way sooner than later.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    admissions claim Apr. 1. but i find this hard to believe when the classes start in the summer. BTW, any idea WHEN the first day of classes begin? The website is so outdated that it still lists the curriculum as 2 semesters.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I have heard June 1st. USC starts June 1 and they notify up to April 1st so maybe it is not that unrealistic that you might not find out until the end of March for Columbia.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    No word from Columbia yet. Their website shows updated curriculum - 3 semesters.

Anyone applied to USC? Anyone interviewed with USC?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Real estate/MSRED MSRED at Columbia
    Student Commons
    Replies: 96
    Last post: 06 Jan 2014, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 2:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 3:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3