Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TOD in towns and small cities

Registered
    Dec 2007

TOD in towns and small cities

I need help locating places where transit-oriented development principles have been implemented in smaller cities (say under 150,000 or so) and towns. I need the town names but any additional information about the development name or URLs are welcome, too.

Mostly TOD is put in place in towns outside of bigger cities (outside Portland, Boston, etc), but I am looking more for cases where the towns aren't reliant on the larger population base of a larger city. Kenosha, Wisconsin, for example has done some things.

Iowa City, Iowa is trying to do some TOD and I am looking for some models or examples of similar small town TOD.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Try the Transit Cooperative Research Program. They have several free reports on TOD. I haven't looked at them yet,but they might have stuff of interest.

http://www.tcrponline.org/publications_home.shtml

What sort o transit do these cities have?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    What sort o transit do these cities have?
    Excellent question. Are we talking about bus, commuter rail, or intercity rail? The Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee (KRM) corridor is so far mostly a vision rather than anything in place. There are more examples in teh Denver area, also in varying stages of development. At least the bus rapid transit and commuter rail elements are approved, if still under construction for many years. Longmont may be a good comparison community.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2007

Type of Transit

Iowa City has a bus network and is trying to redevelop an area with railroad that would be utilized for the proposed Amtrak connection through Iowa City from Chicago.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Robina, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia TOD, New Urbanism?

Hey Guys,

I am eager to get your guys opinion on this new development on the Gold Coast. I have attached my thoughts on an annotated .pdf

My view on urban life varies greatly compared to the brochure as they are targeting a certain niche market that I am not apart of. Comparing Katz and The Wharf development you see a few of New Urban characteristics such as a close community, security and mixed residential and commercial land use. However, it does nothing to acknowledge local history in the way the building and surrounding environments have been designed. I would call this segregated visual isolation within the rest of the community.

I do not see New Urbanism taking off unless it can be developed within a family budget. Regardless, I believe The Wharf development is targeting mid-long term investors with the majority ‘renting out’ to working couples.

the original can be found here
    Brochure Download

References

Off the Plan Gold Coast. (2008). The Wharf. Water Front Living in the Heart of CBD Robina Retrieved March 8, 2009, from http://offtheplangoldcoast.com.au/do...b-brochure.pdf

Off the Plan Gold Coast. (2009). The Wharf Robina. Retrieved March 7, 2009, from
    http://offtheplangoldcoast.com.au/pr...%2C000%29.html

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I forgot the attachment, My Bad

http://gezzaboi.com/QLDPlanning/edit.pdf

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    TGC, I would recommend you contact Leander, TX (Austin Area). They are the northern terminus on a LRT that is about to open in Austin. Another good area to check are some of the northern burbs on the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) line. Several of those are in the same size range and might be helpful.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I would say that Johnson County needs to establish one metro transit system as a priority more than anything else. 4 Bus systems in a county of 125,000?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Dec 2012, 3:13 PM
  2. Best small towns?
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 11:52 AM
  3. Small towns on the edge
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Jul 2008, 3:37 PM