Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things to do in OKC

Registered
    Apr 2006

Things to do in OKC

I am going on Saturday to OKC for to attend OU's Economic Development Institute. Like most training seminars it starts at 1pm on Sunday which means I have to arrive on Saturday since Will Rogers World Airport is an end of the earth airport...and my assistant booked me on the cheapest flight available. The class wraps up on Thursday at 530p and my flight back to Phoenix does not leave until 130p on Friday so I am going to have some time to kill before and after my seminar. I am staying downtown at the convention center hotel.

Within walking distance what is their to do? I am hoping to catch a Redhawks game Saturday night. Any good dinner spots in the area, interesting things or places that would let a non Okie see what Oklahoma is truly about.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I have family that lives in the OKC metro area. I haven't been to OKC in several years, but if you are going to a Redhawks game, you will be near Bricktown, which is an area of downtown with restaurants, etc.

I know the OKC National Memorial is in downtown, just not sure if it is close enough for walking distance. May not be the most fun thing to go see, but well worth it in my opinion.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Go see the memorial, it's kind of eerie. The Bricktown area is nice redevelopment project with a great ballpark, lots of restaurants, and a Bass Pro Shop. Also consider the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, it's cooler than it sounds.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Bricktown and the National Memorial aren't too far apart in downtown. There is a State museum that I've been wanting to visit next time I go. OKC has some very nice attractions.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Quelle surprise

Rent a bike.

Someone sent me this press release:

RentaBikeNow.com has launched and is now available online to help you in a
    variety of ways! We are North America's only coast-to-coast bicycle rental
    network where you can easily locate and reserve quality rental bikes through
    hundreds of participating bicycle shops. Visit RentaBikeNow.com and search for
    bikes by location, type, size or distance from your destination. Please check
    out our website - and of course, tell your members, friends and favorite bike
    shop.

HTH

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Some recommendations:

1. Walk through the Skirvin Hotel lobby and (if you can afford it) get a drink at their lounge. Classic 1920's Oklahoma history, restored.

2. I'll second (or third) the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum recommendation & Bricktown.

3. Go to the Myriad Botanical Gardens and check out the Crystal Bridge Conservatory.

3. Eat at Cattleman's Steakhouse at the Stockyards.

4. Visit & tour the State Capitol, being sure to take in the working oil derrick immediately in front of it (the Capitol faces south).

5. Go to the Oklahoma Heritage Association's museum at the old Gaylord-Pickens mansion in Heritage Hills.

6. If you can, drive the 20 minutes down I-35 to Norman and take a walk through the University of Oklahoma campus, the football stadium, and environs. That is Oklahoma's heart (apologies, 'Pokes, but it is).

7. Also if you can, drive 30 minutes north on I-35 to Guthrie, the first territorial and state capitol. The entire 30-block center town is on the National Historic Register, and it the best preserved example of Oklahoma architecture and town layout in the state, and one of the best preserved pioneer towns in the US. Plus there's a bunch of saloons & restaurants, etc., with odd quirks and relics left over from the Wild West days.

8. Go to TapWerks and Van's Pig Stand.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!! I will be on foot so unfortunately I will not be able to make it down to OU to see the campus or anything that is not walkable from Bricktown.

T-Okie is the Cattleman as good as the website promises?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004

How about.....

Checking out the National Memorial:

http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemor...on=5&catid=117
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'd just get drunk at the Airport bar.... (shrug)

But then again, I like watching planes and drinking.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Even though you prob cant make it- as your on foot i recommend travelling along route 66 near arcadia and visting Pops

http://pops66.com/28.0.html
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I'd just get drunk at the Airport bar.... (shrug)

But then again, I like watching planes and drinking.
    You can get drunk at Bricktown....better beer for half the cost.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!! I will be on foot so unfortunately I will not be able to make it down to OU to see the campus or anything that is not walkable from Bricktown.

T-Okie is the Cattleman as good as the website promises?
    I think so.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    I will be on foot so unfortunately I will not be able to make it down to OU to see the campus or anything that is not walkable from Bricktown.
    Hello!! Taxi:
    http://www.thecityofokc.com/taxi/index.html

Alternative:
    Bricktown Water Taxi

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    I will be on foot so unfortunately I will not be able to make it down to OU to see the campus or anything that is not walkable from Bricktown.
    Hello!! Taxi:
    http://www.thecityofokc.com/taxi/index.html

Alternative:
    Bricktown Water Taxi
    Also, METRO Transit has an express bus (route #24) that runs from the downtown transit center to Norman. It's end stop is actually smack dab in the middle of campus, right in front of the Bizzell Memorial Library, which includes the Western Histories Collection, the largest collection of original documentation from the trans-Mississippi US and for Native American cultures (interesting artifacts and documents from things that pre-date European colonization all the way through modern history). I'm not trying to sound like a promotional brochure. They do have cool stuff in the Collection, especially if you're a history buff. Their photography archive is amazing.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I only have an evening and a morning to explore. The camera is staying at home with the wife so she can take more pictures of the baby but I will let you know what I see and what I think.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sweet!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I only have an evening and a morning to explore. The camera is staying at home with the wife so she can take more pictures of the baby but I will let you know what I see and what I think.
    This is the start of something BIG, just remember me in 10 years for that high paying job you need filled ok
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Apr 2012, 9:21 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 09 May 2010, 3:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 9:41 AM
  4. two new things
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 17