Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP CM credit opportunities (free and low-cost)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

AICP CM credit opportunities (free and low-cost)

I was talking with Dan the other day about a place on Cyburbia where anyone can list AICP CM Credit opportunities and he thought this was the bestest place.

Now regardless of your opinion of APA, AICP, & CM, if you belong, you need CM Credits. One of the hardest things I've seen with this requirement is finding classes. Our state chapter does a pretty good job of sending information out and I wanted to keep getting the word out - So this is the place to go and look.

(Please keep your comments about APA & AICPs worthiness, assistance, and cost/benefit away from this thread)

Moderator note:
    Completed program deleted.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    To keep the database running smoothly, attachments (programs, flyers, etc) will be deleted after the advertised event date.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Planning for Healthy Places with Health Impact Assessments is a ‘how to’ guide for conducting health impact assessments (HIAs), developed by the American Planning Association and the National Association of County & City Health Officials, sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This online course will explain the value of conducting an HIA and the steps involved in conducting an HIA. Throughout the course, examples of health impact assessments have been highlighted and discussed.

http://professional.captus.com/Plann...a/default.aspx

CM | 6 - Planning for Healthy Places with Health Impact Assessments qualifies for six AICP Certification Maintenance credits. After finishing the course, AICP members must complete a course evaluation and report the credits in their CM log.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Podcasts of several Tuesdays at APA sessions from APA headquarters in Chicago are available for free via iTunes. Just make sure the ones you download are ones that are listed as CM eligible (mostly you can tell from the date of broadcast - they have to be from after 4/07.)

I have listened to a few on my way to and from work and got some quick and easy CM credits that way. So far I have listened to one on the history of trolleys in Chicago and one on employer assisted housing.

Registered
    May 2008

Got Ethics?

Does anyone else feel like they're scrambling to catch up for finals? Notwithstanding the fact that I take classes all the time and am pursuing a second Masters degree I need to catch up on 15 AICP credits in the next few months on top of my school semester that doesn't count since I've maxed out my self-reported credits.

I need a cheap and easy ethics class! Any suggestions?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm fortunate enough to be attending the APA Florida conference in Jacksonville starting next Tuesday. I should be able to collect enough credits to take me to about the year 2050. If not, I'll get the rest at the national in NOLA next year.

I plan on talking mobile workshops to the golf courses at both locales. I hear good things about them.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Feb 2007

Need an Ethics Credits? Webinar this Friday

I know last minute, but the Michigan Chapter of the APA is sponsoring a webinar entitled Social Equity through the Planning Process. This session counts for 1.5 hr of Ethics CM credits and best of all It's Free!

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/870668379
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 2007

2010 Free Webinar Series CM Credits

Anybody looking for free CM credit opportunities via the web should look into this series sponsored by the Utah Chapter of the APA.

This webinar series usually runs at 1.5 hours each and included seminars that cover both ethics and law credit opportunities. This is perfect for those planners that have no travel budget to attend state/national conferences. Sign up early and so far the topics have been great!

Over 40 hours of CM credit is available, which is great for those, like myself, who are a little behind on CM due to budget constraints.

http://www.utah-apa.org/webcasts.htm
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2005

CM Grace Period & Free Courses

Hello Everyone,

Since I have been getting a number of inquiries from folks who don’t quite have their 32 CM credits whose reporting period ended Dec 31 2009, I thought the list serve might benefit from my answers.

1. Didn’t get all of your credits complete by the deadline? You do have a four month grace period. (but don’t wait!)

2. Everything costs too much! Above it the link to section of the APA website that has access to several free on line courses.

Here’s another source of free on-line CM courses.

http://www.utah-apa.org/webcasts.htm
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004

7 months later.....

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Planning for Healthy Places with Health Impact Assessments is a ‘how to’ guide for conducting health impact assessments (HIAs), developed by the American Planning Association and the National Association of County & City Health Officials, sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This online course will explain the value of conducting an HIA and the steps involved in conducting an HIA. Throughout the course, examples of health impact assessments have been highlighted and discussed.

http://professional.captus.com/Plann...a/default.aspx

CM | 6 - Planning for Healthy Places with Health Impact Assessments qualifies for six AICP Certification Maintenance credits. After finishing the course, AICP members must complete a course evaluation and report the credits in their CM log.
    Our APA chapter just sent out a notice about this course and the free 6 CM's for those who pass......7 months after your post Maybe I missed a previous e-mail notice though?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Found this on the AICP Intereact broadcast email

Free CM credits
    "Planning for Healthy Communities with Health Impact Assessments" is available online for CM credit through December 31, 2011, at no charge. CM | 6.0

Registered
    Jul 2009
    This thread doesn't look like it has been updated in a while so I thought I would share some free CM credit opportunities coming up in May:

April 8 - Pennsylvania Chapter - Ethics: A Framework for Decision-Making- Advanced - CM APPROVED

April 15 - Ohio State University - Campus Planning for Pedestrians and Bicyclists- Advanced CM APPROVED

Registered
    May 2011

Free Webinars

Utah State Chapter of APA has a great page with free webinars throughout 2011.

http://www.utah-apa.org/webcasts?i=1

It looks like all Law and Ethics credit opportunities are expired. But these are all free webinars.

Registered
    Jul 2011

ADA AICP Credits

http://www.accessibilityonline.org/

This is the Great Lakes ADA center, and they have (Free) monthly webinars (generally 1.5 credits) on various topics related to accessibility. (think sidewalks, streets, parking requirements, as well as specific building requirements.) Note not all webinars are AICP accredited, but the website says which ones are.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I sat through a webinar yesterday in hopes of collecting 1.5 CM credits in ethics. Logged on to APA this morning to record them; the webinar is not listed. There are one and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I sat through a webinar yesterday in hopes of collecting 1.5 CM credits in ethics. Logged on to APA this morning to record them; the webinar is not listed. There are one and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.
    The webinar is now listed. I added it to my CM credits. Does it show up on my credits? No. Bastards. This could be straw that breaks the camel's back.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Mar 2012

Vita Nuova Sustainability Series Webinars

Vita Nuova regularly has free webinars that usually qualify for 1 CM Credit.

3/30/12 at 12 pm EST- Vita Nuova Sustainability Series Presents: Promoting Innovative Environmental Technologies - EPA's New "Path Forward" Strategy
    1 CM

APA link http://www.planning.org/cm/search/ev...?EventID=19504

Vita Nuova link:http://www.vitanuova.net/journal/201...-strategy.html

Registered
    Nov 2007
    I am re-selling an CD-ROM that is elligible for 1.5 CM Law credits until the end of December. It is the 2006 Planning Law Review. If you need the credits, check it out! Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181038382107...84.m1555.l2649

Registered
    Feb 2014

Low Cost CM Opportunity

The Sun Coast Section of APA Florida is putting together an AICP CM Boot Camp on March 7, 2014 which will provide up to 8.0 CM Credits, including your required Law and Ethics credits. Registration options for in person attendance and participating via our live video stream are available. Discounts are available for planning students.

Our speaker line-up includes:
    • Ronald L. Weaver, Esq. with Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A. will provide a 90 minute (1.5 Law CM pending) update on legal happenings in planning
    • Mary Kay Peck, FAICP with MKPeck Associates will provide a 90 minute (1.5 Ethics CM pending) overview of case study of the year and ethical considerations in planning
    • Dr. Steven E. Polzin, P.E. and Kristine M. Williams, AICP both with the Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida will discuss the creation of the Automated Vehicle Institute @ CUTR, related work with the Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority, and research on the impacts of automated vehicles on transit and land use planning
    • Information on speakers from the Urban Charrette, inc. and others coming soon!

Please visit http://www.suncoastplanning.org/future-events/ for more information and registration details.

Thank you,

James

James Ratliff, AICP
    Sun Coast Section Chair and
    APA FL Executive Committee Member

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Sep 2011, 4:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 May 2009, 6:05 PM
  3. Replies: 0