Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter College

Hunter College

-Any MUP graduates? -Anyone enrolling for the fall? -Comments?

Registered
    Sep 2008

Thinking about it

I'm visiting NYC the week of April 6th to check out both Hunter and Columbia. Even if I do like Columbia more, will I like it 77 thousand dollars more? Plus, Hunter's program looks pretty good. I guess I'll just wait and see. What's your opinion of Columbia?

Quote Originally posted by aroth View post
    I'm visiting NYC the week of April 6th to check out both Hunter and Columbia. Even if I do like Columbia more, will I like it 77 thousand dollars more? Plus, Hunter's program looks pretty good. I guess I'll just wait and see. What's your opinion of Columbia?
    i looked into Columbia (and NYU) but the GRE requirement irked me- even though im coming right out of undergrad- test taking is not appealing for a practical degree. I am leaning more and more towards hunter (after wavering between it and buffalo), not only in NYC a great planning lab, but i will be saving so much money in start up costs by living at home- I have heard great things about the program as well- seriously only rave reviews (vs. Buffalo...)

I'm planning to specialize in econ/international development and hope I can create a study abroad program to Amsterdam for a semester- what about yourself?

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I was originally interested in housing and community dev. but now I'm leaning more towards land use. While I'm still interested in Housing, Comm. development seems a bit draining. The thing I liked about Hunter's program from their website is the 6 credit studio AND internship as part of the curriculum whereas Columbia has only one studio and no mention of internships. The only reason I would choose Columbia is if it can help me land a job out of state (Colorado) because of it's name.

I've heard Columbia is a great choice if you want the academic vs. practical aka the ph.d which is something i thought about- but i'd rather get the MUP and get right into the field for a good decade or so and if i'm so inclined pursue a doctorate

Hunter is the best PRACTICAL program in NYC- NYU also has a nice name, but they number of planning professors is small (i've heard under 10) and so you are going to learn more theory and policy versus actual hands on skill

Hunter is the best bang for your buck, considering you want to do land use I know that Hunter has a really great GIS lab in comparison to NYU for sure and I've heard the connections via adjunct professors is not too shabby... I'm pretty excited just waiting to hear back on some financial aid news...

Registered
    Sep 2008
    That's my general impression as well. I'm definitely leaning Hunter but not 100% yet. Perhaps we'll meet in class this year, good luck!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Have you heard back from either Hunter or Buffalo? I have applied to both and have not heard back about my status.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    I heard from Hunter on March 23 (one week ago) but they told me that those replies were for early applicants. I submitted my application sometime in November. I assume other applications are being reviewed as we speak.

Quote Originally posted by Baltimore79 View post
    Have you heard back from either Hunter or Buffalo? I have applied to both and have not heard back about my status.
    I heard back from hunter on the 23 and buffalo on the 24- one problem with hunter is that even though my application was received in February it said 'incomplete' online until i called them to let them know the GRE was not required for admission to the MUP- perhaps thats a problem...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I am a 2008 MUP Graduate, now working outside New Orleans (came back home). I can personally recommend Hunter as a very practical, community-oriented program. I even got to do a study abroad at the Institut d'urbanisme de Paris. There are at least three studios available each year, including the Chase Studio, in which Hunter is typically successful. Among local employers, Hunter is as respected as any other planning school in NYC, if not more so.

Hunter is a bargain for the money, especially if you apply as an in-state resident (recommended, even if you're from out-of-state, as you can often get away with just a NY address).

Good luck!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    This is f'n obnoxious. I just called Hunter and they said 4-6 weeks from today I should receive notification. F that, I had all my crap in in January. Same with UIC.

Additionally, I had emailed the program director, who gave the same timeline.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 17 Jul 2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: seq. posts

Quote Originally posted by tweezer13 View post
    This is f'n obnoxious. I just called Hunter and they said 4-6 weeks from today I should receive notification. F that, I had all my crap in in January. Same with UIC.
    That's so bizarre! I have no idea why they would give you such a lengthy time frame beyond the april 1st deadline- wish you luck though

Hunter MUP registration

Hello.

I am one of the students who will be at Hunter MUP for 2009 Fall semester.

Has anyone already register for the classes ?

I am planning to register from July 28.

I would like share information about classes for this Fall semester at Hunter MUP.

Take care.

Quote Originally posted by ysh View post
    Hello.

I am one of the students who will be at Hunter MUP for 2009 Fall semester.

Has anyone already register for the classes ?

I am planning to register from July 28.

I would like share information about classes for this Fall semester at Hunter MUP.

Take care.

hey ysh,

i already registered for the fall- dr. mccormick is super helpful with everything and im really excited for the classes im taking- def wish i could take more!

im eagerly awaiting the orientation!

Hello dpileofashes

Which core core courses did you register ?
    and how many credits will you take ?

If you don't mind, would you mail me ?

ysh011214@hotmail.com

take care and see you at Hunter.

Registered
    Jul 2009

international planning

Hey All,

I'm considering Hunter for the Spring semester. So far I've heard all good things. I'd like to concentrate on international planning. Anybody from that concentration in the house? For those who are or were students there, how are the courses and schedule flexibility?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Jan 2012, 6:35 PM
  2. Hunter College
    Student Commons
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 3:46 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Apr 2011, 11:49 AM