Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: God's Country

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

God's Country

I was reading a response from michaelskis in another thread, in which he was expressing his love for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I was shaking my head in agreement and thinking, "God's Country."

That brought back memories of t-shirts and sweat-shirts that I have seen when up north, refering to the U.P. as "God's Country".

My random question for Cyburbian residents......do you have a "God's Country" near you? Or have you traveled to a "God's Country".

Gotta believe that ranchers in eastern Montana would call their area "God's Country". As would vinters in California, cabin owners in the High Sierras, commune residents in the White Mountains, residents of the area near Mount Mitchell, NC, etc.

What say you?

Side non-denominational note: "God's Country" never seems to be a reference to an area with a lot of folks of a certain religion or an area with a lot of churches. It is more of a reference to this statement: "If God was to live somewhere on Earth, this is where he would live."

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    My random question for Cyburbian residents......do you have a "God's Country" near you? Or have tou traveled to a "God's Country".
    I personally never refer to "God's Country" but I do often refer to may ancestrial mating grounds as "The Mother Land". I've got a cousin who always refers to her neck of the woods (Coastal Oregon) as "God's Country". She never refers to the region by it's actual name. I guess she assumes that any reasonable person would believe that her "God's Country" is everyone's "God's Country".
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I guess she assumes that any reasonable person would believe that her "God's Country" is everyone's "God's Country".
    You said it better in one (1) sentence than I said it in ten (10) sentences. But, OTOH, I get paid by the word.

No Fuzzy Warbling Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Do you have a "God's Country" near you? Or have you traveled to a "God's Country".
    Bear
    I have heard the Rockies refered to as this, but I have never used the term.
    I was once tossing a frisbee with a friend in college and one of those guys who passes out fliers about God, came by and asked us to toss the frisbee to him. He caught it and walked over to us asking if we wanted to join the Ultimate Team, God's team...
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    The kids have been squirrley all day, so I've forcing them to listen to every KISS album through to Animalize. We're just finishing up with Hotter than Hell, KISS Alive I is on deck. MUHAHAHAHAHA !!!!
    Not Cruel and unusual at all, I had a buddy come over Friday night and we rocked out to Dressed To Kill after having a couple
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    New Zealanders like to refer to our country as Godzone (God's Own), though recently I haven't heard this used so much.

Registered
    May 2003

Pry Bar

Prying open a real thread, just for the newbies.....

In a recent post on Cyburbia, the poster mentioned the phrase "God's Country". Thought about this thread.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I think there's something hardwired in humans where we prefer the appearance of hilly or mountainous terrain over flat terrain. After all, few travel to western Kansas for the scenery. Would anyone say western Kansas is God's Country?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I hear the term and immediately recall the Old Style commercials during WGN Cub broadcasts. Brewed in LaCrosse Wisconsin, so I guess that is God's country.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Western Kansas is God's country.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    IMHO, my favorite city is God's country.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Isn't there a corner in every state that claims or is perceived as being God's County ?

Sabattis, NY is God's Country.
    Cache County & Logan Canyon UT is God's Country.

Parts of west texas can't be, sorry west texas.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I think there's something hardwired in humans where we prefer the appearance of hilly or mountainous terrain over flat terrain. After all, few travel to western Kansas for the scenery. Would anyone say western Kansas is God's Country?
    Not if you're a FL native. If this comes out OK, this is the perfect FL landscape. Mountains and hills make us nervous. And what do you have against flat places?

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show.../size/big/cat/

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Side non-denominational note: "God's Country" never seems to be a reference to an area with a lot of folks of a certain religion or an area with a lot of churches. It is more of a reference to this statement: "If God was to live somewhere on Earth, this is where he would live."

Bear
    That would probably be me who rattled your cage with the "God's Country" comment, Bear. I used it when commenting on Sabbatis, NY.

"God's Country", at least to me, is not necessarily about scenery but about a place that speaks to a person's soul. I think it has a lot to do with family roots and/or good memories. It has nothing to do with how other people perceive the place or what kind of warts it has. Your personal "God's Country" can even be a city or a suburban town. It depends on the person.

My "God's Country" is the western end of New York's Southern Tier, specifically Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties. After moving away when I was 18 and living elsewhere for 30+ years, I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to move back about 11 years ago. Within a few weeks of moving back, I was totally reconnected with a rural/small town life-style that probably would drive many other people bonkers, but it suits me fine. I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    In Maine - Aroostock and Washington County's have a competition as to which is God's Country - they also argue over which one of them is meant when someone merely says "from the county"

this is a good God's Country joke I got sent, you can insert your own God's Country spot and send it onward:

A man in Topeka, Kansas decided to write a book about churches around the country. He started by flying to San Francisco and started working East from there. Going to a very large church, he began taking photographs and making notes.

He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall and was intrigued with a sign, which read "Calls - $10,000 a minute."

Seeking out the pastor he asked about the phone and the sign. The pastor answered that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven and if he pays the price he can talk directly to GOD.

The man thanked the pastor and continued on his way. As he continued to visit churches in Seattle, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Reno, Denver, Oklahoma City, and around the United States, he found more phones with the same sign, and the same answer from each pastor.

Finally, he arrived in Maine. Upon entering a church in Fort Kent, Maine, behold - he saw the usual golden telephone. But THIS time, the sign read "Calls - 35 cents."

Fascinated, he asked to talk to the pastor, "Reverend, I have been in cities and towns all across the country and in each church I have found this golden telephone and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to GOD, but in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute; your sign reads only 35 cents a call.

Why?"

The pastor, smiling benignly, replied, "Son, you're in Maine now - God's country; it's a local call."

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think that "God's Country" for a lot of people is not where they live. You become so used to what you have, that you don't consider it beautiful or original. I know that Fall in Ohio is something that every person should see at least once. Corn tasseling, leaves changing, beans browning.... It really is beautiful. But I don't consider this "God's Country".

My "God's Country" is in the Colorado Mountains. Gunnison / Crested Butte Area. Thin air, open spaces, hay fields, trails, wild animals, and flowers. To quote The Castle "...how about that serenity. So serene. Such serenity."
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Would anyone say western Kansas is God's Country?
    Me!! But I would say "Eastern Kansas" and the Flint Hills. I grew up there, so I'm slightly biased.

And the people are "salt of the Earth".

Registered
    May 2003
    Attention Cyburbians:

A recent poster, known as "someone who crossed the Red River" made mention of Oklahoma as God's Country.

Sorry, pal.....you are too far south. Look north.....to Yooperland.

Cyburbians.....please set this character straight. Don't get his hat dirty.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    A recent poster, known as "someone who crossed the Red River" made mention of Oklahoma as God's Country.

Sorry, pal.....you are too far south. Look north.....to Yooperland.

Cyburbians.....please set this character straight. Don't get his hat dirty.

Bear
    I stand by my statement, especially since it was intended as a mild, tongue-in-cheek jab at Texans.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2008, 5:21 PM
  2. Hello from God's Country
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 4:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 1:28 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Nov 2003, 5:39 PM