Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interviewing for positions out of state

Registered
    Jun 2007

Interviewing for positions out of state

My wife and I have decided to move our family back to the state where we both grew up, seven hours from where we currently live. I knew going in that the interview process was going to be hard to deal with because of the distance, but I've made it clear on my resume and cover letters that I am still currently employed in location A, and hoping to move to location B, and am very much interested in working for your company near location B..and so on and so forth. However, in the three cases where I have gotten interviews I have been asked to make myself available within days and in the middle of the week, and in one case was told that while a phone interview is an option its not preferable (a kiss of death IMO).

Is there a polite way to ask for a phone interview or at least a Friday/Monday interview so that I don't have to take make the trip there and back in one day. The last thing I want to do is make myself seem unaccommodating, but it is starting to take a toll on me and I can only ask for a day off at the last minute so many times before my boss stops being so understanding (he knows I am leaving).

Any advice, or tips for interviewing for out-of-state jobs in general?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    When i was job hunting last year for out-of-state gigs, I made myself available whenever, wherever. If thay meant calling in sick, then so be it. I called in sick. When i interviewed for a job across the country (on the east coast) they Planning Staff was very accomodating by allowing me to pick a day (obviously i picked friday) and arranged travel for me.

My advice. Stay as open as possible. If your boss knows your looking, then just call in that you won't make it, and tell them you will make up your time. When an company/agency calls to set-up an interview, ask what times are available, then ask if they are flexible with the interview schedule. If not, then just pick a "most convienient" time and phone in to your current job that you are unable to make it that day. Out of sick time? Make it up another day (if you can) or simply take unpaid time off. This is an employer's market. Dicking around because you want them to "work with you" is the complete opposite of what the other 99% of the other canidates are doing, which is "working with them". You are alreadying "dinged" because your out of state. Don't make it that easier for them to pass on you. Good luck.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Yes, ask for a Fri--Mon interview. HR people are sometimes human if not necessarily a resource.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Yes, ask for a Fri--Mon interview. HR people are sometimes human if not necessarily a resource.
    Agreed. I don't like phone interviews, but you might even suggest Skype as an alternative (might have the added benefit of showing you are not adverse to new technologies).

In general, just go with what is most convenient. 99% of job openings have Friday or Monday interviews just so they can more easily accomodate applicants traveling long distances.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Oh my. I tried this for about 6 months. It was stressful and expensive! Ultimately, I decided to bite the bullet and move without the job. Life became much easier after that and I started a great job in 3 months (this was recent-in this economy).
    Best of luck...
    ...Moving at the speed of local government

Go in person, if at all possible. You will be at a disadvantage to others who go in person.

Registered
    Aug 2010
    I have always had a positive experience when asking for a preliminary phone interview. Most larger governments or companies will have an initial round of interviews and then select finalists for a second round, and frequently use phone interviews for the first round unless people are truly local (within 50-75 miles). Nearly everyone will understand that people cannot take two days for interviewing with one company or agency. Also, with state and local government, there are frequently personnel rules that require EVERY minimally qualified candidate to be interviewed, even if the hiring official has no interest in you and no intention of offering you a job - but of course they can't say that so you have no idea if you're wasting your time! If you can get your "token interview" on the phone you have just saved yourself hundreds in air fare and a wasted day.

It never hurts to ask.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interviewing for a job you didn't apply for
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jul 2011, 4:10 PM
  2. Re-interviewing / re-applying for jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Mar 2009, 1:29 PM
  3. Feedback after applying/before interviewing