Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bands You Like, But Shouldn't, Because of Your Demographic

Registered
    Jul 1998

Bands You Like, But Shouldn't, Because of Your Demographic

I'm much too old to like the music I am into right now. About six moths ago I started liking bands my 20 something sons like.

Five Finger Death Punch
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Stone Sour
    3 Days Grace
    Halestorm
    Godsmack

Well you get the idea...

By the way, this is the best video, ever. Watch the whole thing, the end gives me chills.

“As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am a white straight male.

I like Opera and Musicals. There I said it. What about it?

I also like piano rock, classical rock, and country. <--( I felt like I needed to add that to make sure I was still sane)
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I really like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin

...says the 28 year old
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    I'm a mid 30's straight male but I love Justin Beiber Omg omg omg!!!!!!

just kidding.

I'll second zman though about Sinatra. I'm also really big into some old cats like Junior Wells, Son House, Howling Wolf.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm a straight male, yet I like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston's Bodyguard album, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, and most power ballads.

I'm 23, but I like classic rock (too many bands to mention), even classic rock bands that don't make new music any more like Foreigner, Bad Company, Jimi Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin. Oh and I also like Frank Sinatra.

I'm white, but I enjoy rap music, particularly Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Notorious B.I.G., Eminem, and Outkast. And not just the hits.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Singers/standards/jazz from the 1930s through 1960s, including 1950's pre-rock 'n roll popular music. You know, the music that Dan is always complaining about from his childhood.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I almost said bluegrass but then it occurred to me that the average bluegrass listener in 2010 is neither shoeless nor gap-toothed, but is rather more likely to make annual support pledges to NPR.

Let's see demographics I don't fit....Oh, I know - I like lots of doo-wop music!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

I'm white, but I enjoy rap music, particularly Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Notorious B.I.G., Eminem, and Outkast. And not just the hits.
    I think white is actually IS the correct corresponding demographic for the above....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I don't know how to define my demographic let alone decide which music genres are inappropriate to it. I like what I like.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    I'm much too old to like the music I am into right now. About six moths ago I started liking bands my 20 something sons like.

Five Finger Death Punch......
    Intense video, giff. Strength to you, your son, and family. Get them all home safe and sound.

BTW, I also enjoy Five Finger Death Punch. Which I'm too old for....

I'm a straight male, yet I like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston's Bodyguard album, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Gwen Stefani, and most power ballads.
    Hmm. One really has to wonder how straight you actually are.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I think white is actually IS the correct corresponding demographic for the above....
    I actually thought the same thing when I was writing that, which is why I added "and not just the hits", but even that I guess doesn't really make up for anything. Which makes me wonder, what kind of music would be odd for white people to like?

Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Hmm. One really has to wonder how straight you actually are.
    I really could care less what people think about me. I like catchy pop tunes and I'm not afraid to admit it. From my experience (and this isn't directed at you, so don't take offense), it's the people that are so insecure about themselves that they automatically pass judgements on others based on trivial things like musical tastes that you have to wonder about.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Intense video, giff. Strength to you, your son, and family. Get them all home safe and sound.

BTW, I also enjoy Five Finger Death Punch. Which I'm too old for....
    Talked to Clint today, plans are to stay on the base and do his job. He runs a very expensive, very protected piece of equipment, so he will be relatively safe. At least until the army changes plans. Thanks for the thoughts.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    lol!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm a white male in my early 30s, grew up on a farm and now live in the suburbs with a wife and baby, both my wife and I have advanced degrees... blah blah blah

But I really enjoy (and even more so the last couple of years) late-1960s - 1970s funk, soul, and R&B and new music that is sort of a revival of that scene. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Parliament, Gil Scott-Heron, Funkadelic, Andre Williams, Sharon Jones, The Sugarman 3...

I also absolutely love Randy Newman, Loudon Wainwright III, and Harry Nilsson... despite not liking cheesy movie soundtrack songs. When they are writing serious stuff, I always find Newman and Wainwright to be two of the best and most poignant lyricists I've ever heard and Nilsson, who died entirely too early, was able to write some of the most perfect pop songs and could make those he didn't write equally great.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I don't speak a lick of Italian, let me just get that out of the way. When I was in Rome for an Urban Design semester, I had the chance to see Sting play at the Circo. He was outdone though by Biagio Antonacci. I went out and bought two of his albums. Don't understand a word, but know most of the lyrics. Top 40 Italian...hope that qualifies
    In silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and watch how the pattern improves - Rumi

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I grew up listening to 'the best of the 60's, 70's, 80's' etc so i feel very comfortable with music of that era- which in my younger days wasn't a popular or normal thing to like, but now it seems so mainstream to like music of that era for my demographic.

I dont mind the Glenn Miller Band and i have a big soft spot for Disney movie songs
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 2008
    OK, fine. I have a 15 year old daughter, right? So the Bandslam soundtrack made it's way into my collection and I'm sorry but it's awesome. Wilco, Nick Drake, bunch of kids doing a ska cover of Bread...I feel like a pedophile when people see it on my i-pod, but it's awesome. Confession over.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Honestly, I don't think there is necessarily a specific demographic -- at least, not in terms of age -- with a lot of music these days. I know too many people who have attended concerts and shared CDs/MP3s with their children or parents. I wasn't even the oldest person in attendance at an Interpol concert a few weeks ago, and I'm pushing 50.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Honestly, I don't think there is necessarily a specific demographic -- at least, not in terms of age -- with a lot of music these days. I know too many people who have attended concerts and shared CDs/MP3s with their children or parents. I wasn't even the oldest person in attendance at an Interpol concert a few weeks ago, and I'm pushing 50.
    I concur. I keep trying to come up with bands that I like but shouldn't, but every time I do, I come up with a good demographically-based reason why I should/do like them.

For anyone born post-1960 (and I'm just throwing out a date here), the only thing that I think would be "weird" to like based on demographics, is big band music. Music is just so ubiquitous now and everything is mainstream at some point.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Music is just so ubiquitous now and everything is mainstream at some point.
    This is a interesting point too. It seems that between the advent of the classic rock radio format and the Great Fracturing that occurred sometime in the 1990's, the relevance/importance of age demographics has diminished. You see a lot of folks in their 20's that seem to have almost as much familiarity with music that was popular before they were born as the generations that grew up with it first hand.

Every type of music is available almost everywhere nowadays.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I Interpol! But in my late 20's...

I really think pop music like Rhiana is catchy and good, despite my indie/modern rock music leanings...I can't tell my friends
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

I really could care less what people think about me. I like catchy pop tunes and I'm not afraid to admit it. From my experience (and this isn't directed at you, so don't take offense), it's the people that are so insecure about themselves that they automatically pass judgements on others based on trivial things like musical tastes that you have to wonder about.

"It's a joke, son"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Coldplay.

I also like Nickelback.

Registered
    May 2005
    32 year old white male here.

I've always enjoyed Christina Aguilera and Pink. As opposed to the Britney Spears of the world, these two can actually sing.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 06 Sep 2012, 4:47 PM
  2. Demographic/Transit NP/Org/Firm Suggestions
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Mar 2011, 2:52 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Oct 2010, 4:16 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 07 Nov 2008, 1:46 PM