Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Reading List - The Thirteen Novels Every American Should Read

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Reading List - The Thirteen Novels Every American Should Read

http://www.wnpt.org/mediaupdate/2010...n-should-read/

Have you read any of them or all of them ?
    The comments add a few more equally notable books.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    http://www.wnpt.org/mediaupdate/2010...n-should-read/

Have you read any of them or all of them ?
    The comments add a few more equally notable books.
    This Bear has read two of the books.....Mockingbird and Catch 22. Seven Days in May is an excellent movie, based on the book.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Ouch! I like to think I'm pretty well-read but clearly that is not the case. I've only read three: Mockingbird, Catch 22 and Uncle Tom's Cabin.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I've read 4: To Kill a Mockingbird, Catch-22, Gulliver's Travels, and Le Morte d' Arthur. Catch-22 was the only one I've ready by choice. The rest were assignments in various English Lit classes in high school and college (including reading a Middle-English version of Le Morte d' Arthur simultaneously to modern translations - to this day I have no idea what purpose that served, since nobody in class understood the Middle English at all, and it was never really brought up in class. Class discussions were about the story itself just like any other book we read.).

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I've read 4: To Kill a Mockingbird, Catch-22, Gulliver's Travels, and Le Morte d' Arthur. Catch-22 was the only one I've ready by choice. The rest were assignments in various English Lit classes in high school and college (including reading a Middle-English version of Le Morte d' Arthur simultaneously to modern translations - to this day I have no idea what purpose that served, since nobody in class understood the Middle English at all, and it was never really brought up in class. Class discussions were about the story itself just like any other book we read.).
    Le Morte d"Arthur beats Beowulf to hell, but it's not nearly as much fun as some of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales! I think that the "purpose" of these exercises in Early and Middle English was to demonstrate how language changes over time. I'm not sure why that can't just be told to students and given short examples.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites,-- both the book and the 1963 Academy Award winning movie with Gregory Peck.

I cannot read Faulkner. I've tried, but he's a no go.

Drury's Advise and Consent is okay, but nothing special.

I find it interesting that this list leaves out many of the works that are considered American classics for works that are much less well known. I would think that Twain's Huckleberry Finn and Melville's Moby Dick, both considered among the greatest American novels would be on any list of "must reads". Nothing by Fitzgerald or Hemingway or Steinbeck is interesting, too. I would think that The Grapes of Wrath is worth reading over The World According to Garp.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've read 6: Advise and Consent, Catch-22, Gulliver's Travels, Le Morte D'Arthur, Seven Days in May, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Always meant to read All the King's Men but have never gotten around to it. Faulkner doesn't interest me.

Somebody more motivated than me might want to start another thread for other opinions for an American novel required reading list.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Faulkner is hard to read, and his works remind me of my family.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    As I Lay Dying was the first piece from Faulkner that I've read and I enjoyed it. I went on to read a few other of his works, and while this one wasn't my favorite, it's probably the easiest of his stuff to read (that I've picked up anyway).

I read Gulliver's Travels as part of a "Politics in Literature" seminar course and really enjoyed it. I've re-read it a few times in the past 6 or 7 years since then.

Catch 22 I read for pleasure and because I had heard so much about. Besides a few funny characters and a couple good lines, the book was totally overrated. Heller could have easily left out about 100 pages or so or divided it up into a few different stories. Meh.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 8:03 PM
  2. Reading List: Urban Planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 11:49 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2009, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Mar 2009, 10:34 AM