Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Detroit 187

Registered
    Feb 2004

Detroit 187

I don't get much chance to watch tv these days but made a point to see Detroit 187 last night. Fairly standard crime drama offering. I predict the show will be cancelled before the season's end. It was interesting to watch simply because they filmed (at least parts of) it in Detroit. I saw lots of familiar places (inside a restaurant and lots of street scenes) and it was interesting to see them in the context of a tv show. I imagine this is not at all remarkable for folks that live in L.A. but it was novel for us.

Anyone else see it? Isn't it great that the City of Detroit gets this well-timed and much-needed community boost, giving the world the impression they're the Murder Capital of the World? (yes that was a popular t-shirt years ago, but still we don't need to rub it in.)

Registered
    May 2005
    I watched last night. It was OK. I may watch again because i'm a fan of Micheal Imperioli and cop shows. However, I'm not a fan of the docudrama style that is it shot in.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I haven't seen it yet but it's on my DVR. 10:00 p.m. is generally past my bedtime during the week!

I don't think the fact that there's a procedural police drama about homicide detectives set in Detroit is a bad thing. It's no secret that violent crime occurs here and that there are murders here. From what I have read about the show, I don't think that there is anything on the show that is going to shock viewers or that they haven't seen before on Law & Order (there must be so much crime in New York City that they were able to come up with 4 different L&O series set there!).

Would I want to see a police procedural about homicide detectives set in Missoula, Montana or Pierre, South Dakota? Probably not.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I did not think it was bad... except for the writing... what kind of criminal calls a can of pop, soda for petes sakes?!? Makes em sound like they are a snooty East or West Coaster.

Not much of the pilot was filmed in Detroit, it was filmed in Atlanta with a few quick scenes of Detroit thrown in for good measure. The rest of the series has filmed here as a result of Detroit strangely becoming a movie capital. This summer I have been inconvienced by Harold, Kumar, Hugh Jackman's Boxing Robots, Transformers, Miley Cyrus, and Tom Cruise's son fighting the communists (go figure).

Detroit (the Show) has built a soundstage in Highland Park and is emplying dozens of people so I support the show for that alone.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I did not think it was bad... except for the writing... what kind of criminal calls a can of pop, soda for petes sakes?!? Makes em sound like they are a snooty East or West Coaster.
    You're right...soda... Talk about coming off as some hoity-toity elitist! I figured he'd put a monacle in his eye, and doff a top hat next

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm not looking to following any new TV shows...but I heard Canadian actor/comedian Shaun Majumder was in this and I'm wondering how he made the transition from stand-up and sketch comedy to a cop drama...wth?!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I caught it on the interwebs this past weekend, wasn't bad, wasn't terrific. It was your standard 1st episode of laying out the future plot lines and introducing the characters. If it last that long, I would like to see the episodes that show more of Detroit. Someone was definitely was asleep at the switch regarding the soda/pop thing. Sadly only Midwesterns (and former ones) would catch that. I would also like to see more stories about the effects of the post industrial economy on the former factory workers.
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 27 Sep 2010 at 3:04 PM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I'm not looking to following any new TV shows...but I heard Canadian actor/comedian Shaun Majumder was in this and I'm wondering how he made the transition from stand-up and sketch comedy to a cop drama...wth?!
    He did have some funny banter about the local hot dog traditions. Put Ketchup on them! What a Canadien! Probably was looking for vinager to put on his fries to boot!

BTW I expect to get my WHTI papers next week. Look out Canada! I'm legal to cross again!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Sep 2014, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Feb 2008, 2:48 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Oct 2007, 11:29 PM
  4. Hello from Detroit!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 04 Mar 2007, 9:15 PM