Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Nostalgia The Internet's Crack?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Is Nostalgia The Internet's Crack?

Serious discussion time. When I browse the internet these are some of my favorite places.....

Oldies radio stations
    YouTube - Old movie scenes, trailers
    YouTube - Classic rock songs, videos
    Old time radio broadcasts (news, The Long Ranger, etc., yadda)

This browsing usually results in deep feelings of nostalgia. I am trying to reason with myself (an admirable foe ) by thinking that at my age being super nostalgic is one of the few things I have left, in other words.....normal for my age. Everything I hear or see at these net sites tends to take me back to people, places, events, love lost, love found, yadda. If there was no net (OMG) would I dig through stacks of CDs and long-playing albums? Or search out music (to the extent it is available on-line)?

Probably not.

My nostalgia would stay within my mind, memories of long ago, good or bad.

Bottom-line question for the brian of Cyburbia.....is nostalgia a drug, such as crack, easily available from "The Pusher".....otherwise known as the net?

Seriously.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yes. It creates a comfortable environment and provides too memories of times you can relate to. I think it makes people forget about reality and go back to those times. So in the sense that it takes your mind off today, yes it is a drug. But I doubt it can do serious harm to anyone...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I agree with Hink. If nostalgia is a drug and the net facilitates it, it's still no harm.

What a poor place the world would be without reminiscence. If the net can fuel that, and at the same time bring you the reminiscences and nostalgia or people and places you otherwise wouldn't have (like yours, Bear.), and provide new stimulation - well then I say more power to it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Buffalo is perhaps the most nostalgic city in the United States, and there's no shortage of "lost Buffalo" type Web sites. The sites aren't in the same vein as the wonderful Forgotten New York site, which looks for traces of the city's past in its built environment, but rather full of nostalgia for cultural institutions of the past; retailers, restaurants, businesses, and broadcasters. If I see one more link to a Sattlers jingle .... ARGH!

What's odd is that Buffalo's nostalgia seems much older than other cities where I've lived. When I lived in Denver, I noticed there was a lot of nostalgia for the institutions and businesses of the late 1970s and early 1980s; the oil boom years. In Buffalo, everybody longs for the late 1950s and early 1960s. I've seen more Canadian Web sites weeping nostalgic for the Buffalo television of my youth in the 1970s than those on this side of the border.

Cleveland seemed less nostalgic than Buffalo; I encountered a lot of pining for lost department stores, the "old" WMMS, and the character of neighborhoods before demographic shifts (the glory days of Cleveland Heights in the late 1960s, South Euclid when it was almost exclusively Jewish and Italian, Collingwood when it was predominantly Italian, etc), but not much else. In Austin, people seemed nostalgic for the 1970s and 1980s, in the days before the city was "discovered" by the outside world. It wasn't the weeping for department stores and radio stations that had changed their formats decades ago, but rather a lost "authentic" countercultural vibe, less traffic, inexpensive housing, and the like.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If nostalgia is the internet's crack, I'm not an addict. You did mean crack in the drug sense, not like the south end of a northbound plumber? No attraction there either.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I believe Facebook is the internet's crack.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be. I personally hate the "good old days" emails. A lot of the '50s and '60s sucked.

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Cleveland seemed less nostalgic than Buffalo; I encountered a lot of pining for lost department stores, the "old" WMMS,
    WMMS was a VERY cool station in the early 1970s.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 03 Nov 2010 at 4:43 PM. Reason: seq. posts

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    WMMS was a VERY cool station in the early 1970s.
    Like WKRP in Cincinnati?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jul 2002

wmms

Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Like WKRP in Cincinnati?
    No man, it was really like far out! VERY good music.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 45 record nostalgia
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 03 Jun 2012, 1:00 AM
  2. Crack banned in Virginia
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 10 Feb 2005, 10:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Aug 2002, 6:12 PM