Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 College Basketball Thread

Registered
    Jun 2007

2010-2011 College Basketball Thread

The 2010-2011 College Basketball season is upon us, so let the analysis, comments, bragging, and trash talking begin.

From ESPN's Dana O'Neil*:

An Ode to Hoops

The season has arrived, it's time to remember
    All the things we've longed for, from May to November:

Of the bounce of the ball, the squeak of a sneaker,
    And the snarky retort, "Yeah, but your league is weaker."

Of fight songs and Glitter played by rockin' pep bands,
    And cheerleaders jumping and popping handstands.

Of the lyrical whine, "Ref, you suck, where are your glasses?"
    And the impossible job of pleasing the masses.

Of Cameron Crazies and student fanatics,
    And last-second winners and comebacks dramatic.

Of a surging Big Ten led by Izzo and Sparty,
    And our own Dickie V, in charge of the party.

Of Blue II the Bulldog, and the Hoyas' dog, Jack,
    And a Butler team counting on Howard and Mack.

Of defending Blue Devils, their boss man, Coach K,
    And dreadlocked floor leaders like the Zags' Steven Gray.

Of State's Kalin Lucas, who tore his Achilles,
    And Nova or Temple, what's the best team in Philly?

Of the Hummel-less Boilers, who never say quit,
    And the remodeled digs at New Mexico's Pit.

Of Bob Huggins dressed in a suit colored yellow,
    And a Syracuse frosh aptly named Melo.

Of rookie playmakers like the Cats' Brandon Knight,
    And Chris, Jay and Chris, aka Mr. Wrights.

Of a Va. Tech team led by Malcolm Delaney,
    And a Temple sked loved by even John Chaney.

Of soph Kawhi Leonard, superstar for the Aztecs,
    And Terrell Holloway -- no Tu -- leading the X.

Of Mizzou's Kim English, Twitter's best online bard,
    And Duke's Kyrie Irving, a savvy point guard.

Of rebirth at Georgia and a sly coach named Fox,
    And coaches fighting cancer by coaching in socks.

Of the raps and musings of the Vols' Swiperboy,
    And aw shuckses and gosh darns of good ol' boy Roy.

Of Pitt snaring victims in its famed Oakland Zoo,
    And court-burning paces of Coach Crean at IU.

Of Terp Jordan Williams and the poor saps he'll flatten,
    And Amish beard sales in the Midwest's Manhattan.

Of Pitino's foot stomp and Calhoun's steely stare,
    And Marcus and Markieff, a formidable pair.

Of Shockers in Kansas being true to their name,
    And the next Cinderella, upending the game.

Of Oakland's budding star, the big man Keith Benson,
    And the hope of the Heels, a bigger John Henson.

Of Parsons and Boynton reviving the Gators,
    And welcome back, too, the return of the Haters.

Of the devoted fans who live in Kentucky,
    And a healthy Herb Pope, who knows that he's lucky.

Of the Longhorns' attempt to rework their poll spot,
    And BYU's Jimmer, never missing a shot.

Of Isiah Thomas and his namesake out west,
    And Washington's Huskies, the Pac-10 (and 12)'s best.

Of Demetri McCamey, the toast of Champaign,
    And Tim Abromaitis, a player and a brain.

Of the steady success of Wisky's Bo Ryan,
    And Keion Bell's dunks, when it looks like he's flyin'.

Of the Buckeyes still strong without Evan Turner,
    And the next one-and-dones, the class of sojourners.

Of a do-it-all Lion, guard Talor Battle,
    And Will Barton putting Memphis back in the saddle.

Of a talent at Morehead named Kenneth Faried,
    And the comic sideshow watching coaches get T'd.

Now let me explain, this rhyme has a reason,
    There are 68 lines for the new tourney season.

But the madness of March is still months away,
    There's plenty in between, and it all starts today.

So plop on the sofa, grab the salsa and scoops,
    The season is upon us, Hallelujah It's Hoops!
    *O'Neil, Dana. "Here's an ode to the start of the season." ESPN College Basketball. 8 Nov 2010. 9 Nov 2010 <http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/preview2010/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5780010>.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Meh...it does not matter until mid February...and if they make the tourney 96 teams it won't matter until after St. Particks Day. If your from a Big conference then win 20 games and you will most likely dance.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Meh...it does not matter until mid February...and if they make the tourney 96 teams it won't matter until after St. Particks Day. If your from a Big conference then win 20 games and you will most likely dance.
    I agree. Although I follow the sport to some degree and am a rabid Spartan fan, I'm not really a fan of college basketball. To many underclassmen leave early for me to get emotionally connected to the players. And I don't buy the argument that it's a better "product" than the NBA.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    That's about the time I start to pay attention as well. Just peek in once in a while before that. February - the time after football and before spring training.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I love college basketball. It is the only basketball that I can watch. Unfortunately the NBA is full of overpaid freaks of nature, that can't remember what a fundamental is.

The NCAA needs to figure out the one-and-done rules, so that college basketball is about teams and winning. Not about Kentucky and John Calipari having 6 guys go to the NBA after one year. That shouldn't be what college basketball is about.

The tournament will be 68 teams this year, and it will be a test run for a bigger system. March Madness is fun because not everyone gets in. If they let everyone get in and random teams beat good teams, it won't be as special. I hope that they realize what they are doing.

As for teams (other than the obvious Ohio State), I like my in-state teams of Dayton, Ohio, and Kent State. I also like Baylor, Butler, and Purdue.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    March Madness is fun because not everyone gets in. If they let everyone get in and random teams beat good teams, it won't be as special. I hope that they realize what they are doing.
    March Madness is fun because people like to gamble. It's why the NFL has become so popular. Fantasy football = gambling.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    March Madness is fun because people like to gamble. It's why the NFL has become so popular. Fantasy football = gambling.
    I like the gambling aspect, I admit that. But I also like watching Butler make it to the championship game and come within one last second shot of beating Duke. Also because it happens fast. It hits you in the face and then is done.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    I like the gambling aspect, I admit that. But I also like watching Butler make it to the championship game and come within one last second shot of beating Duke. Also because it happens fast. It hits you in the face and then is done.
    I agree. Also valid reasons. Hell, even my non-sports loving wife fills out brackets every year.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    There's nothing like a cold February Saturday afternoon at the local burger joint with a couple college hoops games on the TV's. I've watched college basketball much longer than I have college football (I didn't start following football religiously until my senior year of high school during bowl season, and that's only because I knew I was going to be going to OU the next fall), so there's something homey about it. Cold weather weekends = college basketball to me, in the same manner than hot summer weekends = MLB.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Strange this morning, I woke up and turned on espn and Central Michigan was playing @ Hawaii. College basketball all day.

Gators vs. 'nuts tonight @ 6:00 pm (not that I'll be able to watch because of a public forum we're hosting tonight on overlay standards).

hinky - a to the winner?
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Strange this morning, I woke up and turned on espn and Central Michigan was playing @ Hawaii. College basketball all day.

Gators vs. 'nuts tonight @ 6:00 pm (not that I'll be able to watch because of a public forum we're hosting tonight on overlay standards).

hinky - a to the winner?
    Happily. It should be a good game. It will show who is ready early in the season. Both teams are going to go pretty far this year I think.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Can't wait until Illinois vs. Texas, and then hopefully Illinois vs. Pitt. Good early season matchups that will test my fave school's mettle early in the season. They'll be playing those games at Madison Square Garden. I'll be only 2 hours away in Philly but alas no tickets.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Happily. It should be a good game. It will show who is ready early in the season. Both teams are going to go pretty far this year I think.

Didn't get to see the game but I heard it was close at the half and then the Gators didn't come out for the 2nd half. Oh well it's early and no one wil go undefeated.

hink - Your sits here waiting for you when you get here.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Didn't get to see the game but I heard it was close at the half and then the Gators didn't come out for the 2nd half. Oh well it's early and no one wil go undefeated.

hink - Your sits here waiting for you when you get here.
    Yea it wasn't much of a game. The young Buckeyes are going to be good. Better than I thought they would be.

But honestly, it doesn't matter what happens now. Wait 3 months and we will see what happens.

I look forward to my at the next Stanfest

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Texas over Illinois in overtime. Man do I love college basketball....

Registered
    Jun 2007
    So, with San Diego State now having been beaten, lone-unbeaten Ohio State sits practically unchallenged at the top of the NCAA Div. 1 basketball world. Having watched them against Illinois and Purdue this week, I have to admit they are probably the best team in college basketball. That being said, I do not believe they will win the NCAA Tournament unless they lose once during the regular season. They need to "taste their own blood and see how it motivates them", as one ESPN analyst put it, before they can meet their expectations in March. Just my 2.

P.S. Jared Sullinger is a hoss on the court. I hope he'll play college ball for a few more years before turning pro, but I doubt it. Either way, he's a blast to watch.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 27 Jan 2011 at 10:15 AM.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my alma mater, Syracuse, is a huge disappointment - another choke year

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I'll be rooting for Connecticut.
    In my 8 years as an undergrad/employee/grad student, I saw the men win two national championships, and the women win four (and two more since), not to mention a few undefeated seasons.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    In my 8 years as an undergrad/employee/grad student, I saw the men win two national championships, and the women win four (and two more since), not to mention a few undefeated seasons.
    Women's basketball doesn't count.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    If we're 'counting' number of scandals, scholarships available, overall fanfare, and income earned after graduation, then no, no it doesn't.

I guess I just 'count' using different things.

That said, unless UConn is playing, I can't get into March Madness for women's basketball until at least the Elite Eight. I support the ladies, but I know where the competition and excitement generally falls.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Don't tell that to UConn or Tennessee alums. It's huge in those places.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ThePinkPlanner View post
    You aren't you going to take your alumni support and go home?

=============

My Buckeye's are good on both sides of the ball. They also have one of the best players in the country (Jimmer is the best...IMO). We shall see if they get a lose in Big10 play... AT Wisco will be tough.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    My Buckeye's are good on both sides of the ball. They also have one of the best players in the country (Jimmer is the best...IMO). We shall see if they get a lose in Big10 play... AT Wisco will be tough.
    I still say if they don't lose in Big Ten play, they don't face up to their own deficiencies, and wind up losing to a Big East team within the first 3 rounds of the NCAA Tourney.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I still say if they don't lose in Big Ten play, they don't face up to their own deficiencies, and wind up losing to a Big East team within the first 3 rounds of the NCAA Tourney.
    I don't see them losing in the first three rounds. It will be in the final four when the freshman start to show that they have no experience.

Also, Sullinger will be yet another one and done at OSU. He would be wise to stick around for a couple years if he looks like the last couple OSU stars (Oden, Koufos, Mullins). The best of the bunch was last year with Turner, and he stuck around for 4 years....

Registered
    Jul 2009
    You aren't you going to take your alumni support and go home?

=============
    The article doesn't surprise me. I should have mentioned that the two years I worked on campus between my undergrad and grad years that it was with the fundraising arm of the university, mostly major gifts of 25k+. I saw enough there to make me never want to donate a dollar directly to them. Instead I've been known to turn my donation money into flowers to the dept secretary and treat baskets to grad students during finals......
    Last edited by Gedunker; 28 Jan 2011 at 9:23 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  2. 2010 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 455
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 4:00 PM