• Yes, always

4 14.29%
  • Yes, by TV monitor at the police station

0 0%
  • Yes, when a known wingnut or super controversy arises

6 21.43%
  • Yes, because I'm packin'

1 3.57%
  • I don't do meetings, hahahaha, LOSERS!

2 7.14%
  • Why do you hate America?

3 10.71%
  • Other

2 7.14%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Got security?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Got security?

wait for the poll

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We only do if we think we need it. Our police department is next door, but it is still oddly scary sometimes. Especially when you never know what someone will do. Our sessions are audio recorded, but our video recording stuff never works.

There is probably no way to ever make a public meeting completely safe, but I am sure there are procedures that could help make it safer than it is now.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Our police department is in the same building. But the last time we had a dangerous customer and hit the panic button they sent their secretary out ten minutes later
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    No. The only security we need is from nosy reporters trying to find ways we screwed up eons ago.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    We just got an in-office panic button (that also has an annoying person alerts ).

As far as public meetings go, we had to complain that no police were regularly coming to our Town Council meeting and finally we now just have an officer at that meeting. At night after meetings I always try and walk out with someone just in case.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004

Nope.....

Not really. Our local police aren't on the same page as the administration....so to speak. So I don't consider them a reliable source of security. Sad but true. We have to rely on another police force for our security
    Skilled Adoxographer

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Nope, but the Police Chief is there every Council meeting, and the Police Dept is next door, so we're pretty safe.

And our Interim City Manager/HR Dir/Public Safety Dir is our former Police Chief and is usually packing too.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

If we know of a wingnut likely to attend or if there is a controversial docket scheduled for the meeting. The police and sheriff departments are attached to our building, but I doubt that would do much good, as they are quite some distance from our meeting room.

We have no security upon entering the building other than placards prohibiting weapons possession. As if a sign is going to deter a wignut.

But, like yesterday's panhandle shooter, it's the ones you don't foresee that are seemingly the most likely to go awry.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Where I used to work, the police department was downstairs, but still, a lot of damage could be done in the seconds it would take them to get upstairs. So I wish that there was a police officer at the meeting or that they allowed someone else like the manager or a department head to pack heat. Sometimes there were police officers at a meeting, but that was usually dependent on them having items on the agenda or one of them being on minute-taking duty.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have a LEO at every board and planning commission meeting. For good measure, at least three board members are packing at all times.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My at current job, no. This just isn't the type of place that would happen. In previous jobs-most definitely. In one of my KY jobs, we had to have deputies sit in because of open death threats. In one of my Indiana jobs, we had a 70's era courthouse where the 2nd floor hung over the 1st. The building also had no curb between the street and the plaza in front of the building. The plaza had huge concrete flower pots spaced just close enough together that a car could not get between them. I called them our Timothy McVeigh flower pots. We also had a metal detector with security at both entrances to the building.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Our City Hall also houses the courts so all visitors have to go through security. That said when we had a irate irrational applicant we did ask for extra security to be present in Council Chambers.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I don't do a lot of meetings, but there is no security there. Police/Fire are in the same building as the Council Chambers, though, so it's pretty safe. Our office doors are always locked, and there is a keypad to get in the "secret" entrance that I usually use.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    We have a LEO at every board and planning commission meeting. For good measure, at least three board members are packing at all times.
    Might want to inform the school board to do the same...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

After yesterday's event...

- Department heads meeting moved to early this week. The discussion will be dominated by building security
    - FBI inspects the offices and recommends increased limited access because the newly elected congressman has an office in the government center...directly across the hall from my office
    - Everything about being accessible to the public has changed. But that's our jobs.
    - I'm not comfortable being a government official

This morning:
    The Man: "RJ, why do you sit in that seat during public hearings at the BOC?"
    "Because the cameras won't see me there."
    "Don't sit there again. You'll be in the cross hairs if they start shooting. Move to the back during public participation."

Life serving as a public employee has changed forever. (The school board shooting was less than 2 blocks from my office.)
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Oct 2005
    There is a fine line between providing security and going overboard in both cost and invasion of privacy (see TSA).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I find this another reason why there is a HUGE difference between private and public jobs. If this doesn't give more reason for higher pay - I don't know what does. I think security is only going to be more of a concerns until we simmer down a bit in our rhetoric and in our beliefs.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Ours is very inadequate. That's what I told my wife to say if she is ever interviewed.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Meetings don't bother me much. One of our DRB members is a State Police officer and I happen to locate myself immediately adjacent to him

However, it is largely the general security, not necessarily related to my job, that is what worries me. Our parking lot lights rarely work and leaving after dark always makes me apprehensive. I've emailed and written to two city managers and have never had it resolved. I am now wondering if the next step may be a union grievance? I don't know.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Will the Detriot Police Precinct House Shooting change things where you work ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Will the Detriot Police Precinct House Shooting change things where you work ?
    I have no idea, but it is my precinct house. I was up there over the summer a that same counter picking up my police report from my break in this summer. The time before that I was in there, three people I went to high school with were working there.

Something odd about this place is that in most suburban police stations, the cops are usually elavated, mostly shielded with bullet proof glass, and you would have a hard time getting into the back office. This place is set-up to be wide-open and airy on the inside. To get my paperwork, they just pointed me down a hall to the detective's area! No buzzer, no glass shielding at all.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    If we know of a wingnut likely to attend or if there is a controversial docket scheduled for the meeting. The police and sheriff departments are attached to our building, but I doubt that would do much good, as they are quite some distance from our meeting room.

We have no security upon entering the building other than placards prohibiting weapons possession. As if a sign is going to deter a wignut.

But, like yesterday's panhandle shooter, it's the ones you don't foresee that are seemingly the most likely to go awry.
    [BUMP]

Building security goes into effect Wednesday! Public will only be allowed entrance at one point and will be subject to X-ray. Staff have been issued key cards for access at any location. Cameras have been installed at the outside and in all hallways/public gathering areas. Panic alarms will be added as money becomes available.

I'm pleased.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Security in your building?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 11:03 AM
  2. Ugh! ...work web security
    Friday Afternoon Club