Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What food doesn't go bad?

Registered
    Jan 2005

What food doesn't go bad?

Today I was eating some homemade chex mix.... that I made a month ago. Still as good as ever. I was thinking that there really are some foods that can stay good for as long as you are willing to eat them. Beef jerky and other cured meats, nuts, and m&m's are just a few of them that I could think of.

Anyone have anything else that is good over time? Like longer than the day or two later chili is better than when you made it?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Why is homemade chexmix with Worcestershire sauce SO much better than the store-bought kind? Why doesn't anyone make this kind for sale?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2005
    I heard something on the radio recently talking about pickled things. Evidently, that stuff can last a very very long time before spoiling. Very long. Sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, etc. I love all that stuff, but not as much as my wife.

I make a lot of salsa as well, and that also lasts a long long time (and matures over a few days to a week in flavor). Also, I've made some hot sauces that lasted well over a year. Maybe longer if we hadn't just used it all up. Not really a staple since you can't exactly live on it, but....

Twinkies? Or is that not really food?
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Eggs (still in the shell) remain edible much longer than most people think. Although they may not taste fresh anymore there is minimal health risk involved. The shell basically works as a climate controlled container protecting the contents from bacteria and spoilage.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I have had bad M&M's before. After about 10 years, the chocolate on the inside gets gritty and dry. Didn't make me sick, though.

Registered
    May 2004
    Interesting thread. I've always wondered why bread crumbs always seem to last way way longer than bread?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Interesting thread. I've always wondered why bread crumbs always seem to last way way longer than bread?
    Because they're already stale?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Why is homemade chexmix with Worcestershire sauce SO much better than the store-bought kind? Why doesn't anyone make this kind for sale?
    Off-topic:
    I know. I think I like that I can control the flavor profile. Man I love Worcestershire sauce...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Based on my experience:

* Uncooked pasta.
    * Hot sauces.
    * Some condiments (ketchup, barbecue sause).
    * Matzoh. Once a box is opened, though, it'll go stale fast.
    * Some cured meats.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The apple slices you get from McDonald's will not turn brown no matter how long you store them in the refrigerator. It's not natural.....
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    The apple slices you get from McDonald's will not turn brown no matter how long you store them in the refrigerator. It's not natural.....
    Did y'all see the of of the Mickey D's burger that didn't rot over time, just dried out?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Salt and Honey do not expire.... ever, so far as I know.

Registered
    May 2005
    Oh, I've got another one. Produce from Costco. This was our first (and maybe last) year to belong and the thing that freaked me out the most was how those giant bags of things like broccoli, snap peas and peppers NEVER WENT BAD! Even after a month in the fridge. That just ain't right. After that much time, I dumped it all in the compost. I don't care if its "fresh" - something is just very seriously wrong about produce that doesn't rot.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

SPAM in the can

MRE's

Anything with sugar

In fact my in-laws brought a turkey for Thanksgiving that was frozen for three years, nobody got sick but tasted awful

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Salt and Honey do not expire.... ever, so far as I know.
    According to the movie theatre that we go - you are correct. They have random facts that come up on the screen before the movies begin and one of them is that salt and honey are the only foods that can be in their natural state and never expire.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    According to the movie theatre that we go - you are correct. They have random facts that come up on the screen before the movies begin and one of them is that salt and honey are the only foods that can be in their natural state and never expire.
    What about movie theatre popcorn?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Fruitcakes?

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Hard candy doesn't really go bad, does it? I suppose it might get a little stale though.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Michael Pollan writes a lot about food (The Omnivore's Dilemma, Food Rules) and he basically says:

If it doesn't rot, it's not food

Now, there are exceptions to every rule. However, he was addressing food, not spices, condiments, etc. So there's no mention of honey and salt, but lots to say about processed food and how it's bad for your body.

Twinkies are not Food. I also think Cheese Whiz is not Food. No expiration date = not edible in my book.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Velveeta, pickles.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    What about movie theatre popcorn?
    It's the opposite - it's never edible.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    It's the opposite - it's never edible.
    I disagree....I will eat movie theater popcorn three days later if it's still in the car. But I have questionable judgement and like fake butter. The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Because they're already stale?
    Why don't they mold like bread?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Fruitcakes?

Mike
    Fruitcake never goes bad but never is good either.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I would imagine that natural peanut butter will go bad at some point, but regular old Jif or Peter Pan will last years and years, even after being opened. A few years ago I found a half-eaten jar that had fallen behind a shelf and was already a year past the expiration date (and the expiration dates are typically two years or so from purchase, so it might have been 3+ years old), and it tasted fine and didn't kill me (yet).
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Food selectivity
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Aug 2013, 9:13 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM
  3. Who has the best fast food?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54