Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The State of the Union Show

Registered
    Feb 2004

The State of the Union Show

I can't help shake this feeling that the State of the Union address has increasingly become something more akin to a televised Academy Awards ceremony, than any sort of report on the condition of the country. Instead of commentators remarking the following day on Steve Martin's performance as host or Anne Hathaway's dress, we'll hear eerily similar remarks about the President and/or First Lady.

I predict one side of the aisle will stand up and applaud if the Pres makes remarks that appeal ideologically to that side, while the other side will sit sullen and stone-faced, only to alternate applause when some remark is made that appeals to the other side's ideology. Afterwards left-leaning commentators will remark on how excellent the speech was and how the President clearly set an agenda for the next two years, and right-leaning commentators will remark on how the speech was nothing but empty rhetoric.

No doubt my prediction will be way off

Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO6
    Last edited by Maister; 25 Jan 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I predict one side of the aisle will stand up and applaud if the Pres makes remarks that appeal ideologically to that side, while the other side will sit sullen and stone-faced, only to alternate applause when some remark is made that appeals to the other side's ideology...

It will definitely be off this year since the seats of the Democrats and the Republicans have all been intermingled for tonight's address.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I predict one side of the aisle will stand up and applaud if the Pres makes remarks that appeal ideologically to that side, while the other side will sit sullen and stone-faced, only to alternate applause when some remark is made that appeals to the other side's ideology. Afterwards left-leaning commentators will remark on how excellent the speech was and how the President clearly set an agenda for the next two years, and right-leaning commentators will remark on how the speech was nothing but empty rhetoric.

*sigh* I'm sure.

I don't know if I'll be home to watch the State of the Union tonight, but if I am, better keep bricks and shoes away from me lest I feel the need to "comment" on the smug, self-righteous faces of certain members of Congress...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I can't help shake this feeling that the State of the Union address has increasingly become something more akin to a televised Academy Awards ceremony, than any sort of report on the condition of the country. Instead of commentators remarking the following day on Steve Martin's performance as host or Anne Hathaway's dress, we'll hear eerily similar remarks about the President and/or First Lady.

I think when the speech hasn't started and sides are already saying that they aren't going to support this or that, we are doomed.

I am more interested in the response to the SOTU. Last year it was laughable. I agree with a lot of what Mr. Ryan believes in (financially speaking...) so it will be interesting to see how he can articulate this.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Who's going to be the token republican bad guy this year to yell "LIAR" during the speech?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Who's going to be the token republican bad guy this year to yell "LIAR" during the speech?
    Actually it was "You Lie!" That was hilarious...I'm like, who does that?

But yeah, I agree that the State of the Union has become another major lavish television/entertainment event. That's part of why I love this season. SOTU, Super Bowl, Grammies, Oscars, all within weeks of each other.

In college, we used to play a drinking game, where we would predict certain words that would be said ahead of time and every time the President said that word, we would drink. I remember in 2006, we picked "Iraq", "America", and "freedom", and we were all gone about 20 minutes into the speech. Good times.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Prediction: the moment of supreme irony will come after the President makes some sort of acknowledgement of the Tucson tragedy and calls for dialing down the rhetoric. Everyone on both sides will applaud. About 12 seconds after the speech has concluded, however, several Talking Heads will promptly make a mockery of this bipartisan plea with their incendiary rhetoric.

Registered
    May 2004
    Who cares.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I kinda like the idea of the SOTU "date night." If there was anywhere that Congress could publicly show they actually want to work together National TV is a good place to start.

Really looking forward to Michelle Bachmans Tea Party response ...I've seen some of her public speeches and interviews and I'm not sure she's all there.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll be eagerly waiting to hear what fellow proud Cheesehead and USHouse Representative Paul Ryan (R - WI-1) will be saying in response.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I don't really watch SoTU adresses anymore. They no longer address the true state of the country, but rather, like pep rallies and annual reports that are always optimistic. It would be political suicide to give a downer of a SoTU address, which is why they're all so similar now.

The format, too.

President: "Blah blah blah blah."
    Congress: *applause*
    President: "Blah blah blah blah"
    Congress: *applause*
    President: "Blah blah BLAH blah blah."
    Congress: *standing ovation from members of the president's party* *angry looks from opposing party*

I'd like to see a truly old-school SoTU address, where the main topic is the union; e.g. "Well, South Carolina is up to their old tricks again, and there's more SECEDE bumper stickers on Texas roads nowadays.."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Even as a student of public policy, I've never been interested in watching the State of the Union address (or State of the State, State of the County, etc.). My biggest concern for tonight is will it or will it not interfere with my NCIS watching schedule?

I just don't care about 40 minutes worth of applause and 4 minutes worth of substance.

I do however generally read the transcripts from the address the next morning for anything interesting.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm waiting for the next President who will submit his State of the Union address via written publication rather than speaking, as has been more common historically (at least until the advent of the television).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I'm waiting for the next President who will submit his State of the Union address via written publication rather than speaking, as has been more common historically (at least until the advent of the television).
    You may be waiting some time. I expect the next Prez will be 'tweeting' his SoTU remarks.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    You may be waiting some time. I expect the next Prez will be 'tweeting' his SoTU remarks.
    Teh economy is recovering thx to my *stimulus* lol
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    In college, we used to play a drinking game, where we would predict certain words that would be said ahead of time and every time the President said that word, we would drink. I remember in 2006, we picked "Iraq", "America", and "freedom", and we were all gone about 20 minutes into the speech. Good times.
    Is it bad that I'm not in college anymore and I still do this?

It is the only way I can make it through a SOTU... unless I pick the wrong words and end-up passed-out.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'll do what I've done with every other SOTU address, not watch it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Why do these guys need to pretend to be civil. Just cut with the professionalism and say "I am teh bestest" And Paul Ryan can say "You is teh devil!". Instead we have to put up with a few hours of blathering when really this is the principal point these guys are going to make?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Saw on Google homepage....Pres Obama is taking questions on youtube, you can submit one and have 5 minutes of national fame! I wonder if he is going to answer the questions tonight?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My 2011 SoTU recap...

President Obama hit on all the topics he needed to. He went into lots of different "center" ideas that the R's should like. He also said we need to freeze spending for 5 years... and other yawn-worthy things too that are great in theory, but not likely in reality.

I like that he talked about malpractice reform again (which he has done for numerous years), but I don't know that I believe he will act on the things he says.

He also talked about investing in our infrastructure and educational system and trying for 80% of our energy from clean energy by 2035. These things I like.

Overall i think he hit on the left talking points (get rid of tax cuts), hit the center (healthcare reform and spending decreases), and even went to some of the right (malpractice, selling federal land, removal of earmarks). I think he did well. I just hope that he will put his ideas into action this year.

As for the Senator from Wisconsin Mr. Paul Ryan, I was disappointed. Instead of focusing on his Roadmap (which I agree with a large part of) he went with the stupid Healthcare reform angle (which I think [and the CBO agrees] is a waste of money). Even wasting time talking about it is pointless with a D Senate and a D president. Why we are wasting time and money even talking about it is stupid. He did touch on "investments", which we all knew he would, and how he thought we should just stop spending. I like Paul Ryan, but I was disappointed that he didn't go more into depth into his plan for modification to SS and Medicare/caid. I would have liked to see him say the the Republicans are going to be fiscally responsible and force the President to look at the third rails of our budget like the Military, SS, and Medicare/caid.

I couldn't allow myself to listen to Michelle Bachmann. I will probably read the transcript today sometime. But I try to stay away from crazy people... especially crazy people with power.

edit: I read Michelle Bachmann's response. My original thoughts were confirmed. The Tea Party and Michelle Bachmann enjoy continuing the unsupported rhetoric of the crazy right. In context, it reminds me that the Republicans aren't as bad as the Democrats make them out to be. There are strong Republican's and numerous who are worthy of supporting. It is people like Michelle Bachmann who muddy the water and make it difficult to see these people in a fair light. All Republican's get dirty, when you have people like that in your party. *sigh*.
    Last edited by Hink; 26 Jan 2011 at 8:25 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    My take:

President Obama "We can win the future!"

GOP "Hell no you can't!"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    My 2011 SoTU recap...
    I couldn't allow myself to listen to Michelle Bachmann. I will probably read the transcript today sometime. But I try to stay away from crazy people... especially crazy people with power.

edit: I read Michelle Bachmann's response. My original thoughts were confirmed. The Tea Party and Michelle Bachmann enjoy continuing the unsupported rhetoric of the crazy right. In context, it reminds me that the Republicans aren't as bad as the Democrats make them out to be. There are strong Republican's and numerous who are worthy of supporting. It is people like Michelle Bachmann who muddy the water and make it difficult to see these people in a fair light. All Republican's get dirty, when you have people like that in your party. *sigh*.
    haha, I was watching her speech, then I looked away for a moment to focus on something else and when I came back she was talking about Iwo Jima with a picture of the famous statue behind her. I then turned to my BF who was watching it with me and asked what does that have to do with anything? He had no idea.

On the same page about Paul Ryan as well, I am disappointed he spent much of the speech focusing on Health Care. I would rather Congress fix the issues they don't like and move forward instead of repealing the whole thing and starting over.

As for the budget issues-it seems to me everyone can agree on the 'low-hanging fruit' which makes up such a small percentage of our national budget. How about real reforms on the big spenders, SS, Medicare, etc.

The President hit on High Speed Rail and infrastructure which I likde alot, along with his points on science and math education and the theme of winning the future. I seem to agree with him more and more and the R's less and less...maybe I need to jump ship or at least jump to the middle.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    As for the Senator from Wisconsin Mr. Paul Ryan, I was disappointed. Instead of focusing on his Roadmap ...
    It's important to keep in mind here that Mr. Ryan was giving the official GOP response, and his Roadmap is not an official GOP plan or policy guide. In fact, it's quite controversial within the GOP. Hence his points sticking to established GOP priorities.

Registered
    May 2005
    It's important to keep in mind here that Mr. Ryan was giving the official GOP response, and his Roadmap is not an official GOP plan or policy guide. In fact, it's quite controversial within the GOP. Hence his points sticking to established GOP priorities.
    Then why choose him to deliever the response?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I understand that. Which is why they picked him over Bachmann . But they could have just had anyone give the speech if they didn't pick the guy that they thought would translate well with the American people. Ryan didn't translate all that well with the speech he gave. I think he would have done better if he were talking about things he understands. Healthcare is extremely important, but he should have been focusing on how the GOP is going to be making the tough decisions (like in his roadmap) that need to be made to keep this country from going over the cliff. He was perfectly positioned to put the GOP in the lead with fiscal responsibility...instead he focused on Healthcare and repealing a bill that will never be repealed. I personally was hoping for more from someone that I think has some good ideas.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 99
    Last post: 22 Dec 2012, 11:27 PM
  2. Replies: 70
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 1:50 PM
  3. Fun with State of The Union Address
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jan 2006, 8:22 PM
  4. Replies: 10