Urban planning community

Poll results: If a free Cyburbia app was available for your smartphone, would you use it?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for an iPhone

11 28.95%
  • Yes for an Android

6 15.79%
  • Yes for a Blackberry

9 23.68%
  • No

12 31.58%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia mobile app: would you use it?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Cyburbia mobile app: would you use it?

Currently, smart phone users can view and post to the Cyburbia Forums using Tapatalk (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) and Berryblab (Blackberry). To post to the Forums, smart phone users must pay for a full-featured version of the app; usually $2.99.

If a free Cyburbia app was available for your iPhone or Android, would you use it? On what kind of phone? Please keep in mind that a branded app would be pricey on our end, but it could get Cyburbia some exposure among the blueshirt crowd through the App Store or Android Market. This is how much a branded Cyburbia app could cost us:
    • Based on Forum Runner: $249/year + $100 per additional platform (e.g. $449/year for iPhone, Android and Blackberry)
    • Based on Tapatalk: $999/lifetime iPhone or Android, $1,798 iPhone and Android.
    • Based on vBulletin Mobile Suite: $200/setup + $99/year iPhone and Android
    Keep in mind that we only get one or two people a day who access Cyburbia through Tapatalk now. I'm probably one of them.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I've thought about paying for the app for my iPod Touch, but find using Safari acceptable enough to read and occasionally post. I'd certainly though be interested in a free app that would presumably display better than viewing the full site on Safari.

I'm assuming there's not a third (and maybe cheaper?) option of a more mobile browser friendly interface? There's something to be said about being able to do a lot of browsing through the various forums I follow just through a mobile browser, over the need to switch to several specific apps for every forum.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hope you don't mind, but I created a poll to compliment your thread so you could get an accurate count.

As for me, I would definitely use an iPhone app.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I've checked in from my bb, but it's too hard to read everything (have to scroll side to side), and it's kind of a pain. But, I would definately use an app if it made it easier to read/post.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don't have none of them there iphones, androids or blackberries, so I reckon not.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    I'm assuming there's not a third (and maybe cheaper?) option of a more mobile browser friendly interface? There's something to be said about being able to do a lot of browsing through the various forums I follow just through a mobile browser, over the need to switch to several specific apps for every forum.
    There is a flawed mobile interface at http://www.cyburbia.mobi. Issues with the mobile interface: different results depending on the platform/phone used, and it can't appear in any app stores.

Right now, because of cost, I'm leaning towards the vBulletin Mobile Suite-based app, although I prefer Tapatak for everyday use.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I've checked in from my bb, but it's too hard to read everything (have to scroll side to side), and it's kind of a pain. But, I would definately use an app if it made it easier to read/post.
    Same here.

Registered
    May 2004
    I post from my iphone sometimes. But I just go through the web and post like it was a regular computer. I like it better that way. Mobile apps for things I can do otherwise kind of irritate me. I like having the full version- even if sometimes its a little harder on the eyes.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Only if it was a real app.. and not something that requires me to download a third party app like tapatalk.

That was my problem with the cyburbian pro thing. I want to join but I refuse to open up a paypal account and that seems to be the only way to pay for a subscription. If you found a way to do that sort of thing youself great, but if it requires to give account, personal and bank information to more third party vendors, no. Nothing can convince me to trust my bank account details to paypal.. much less to whoever sells tapatalk.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Don't have none of them there iphones, androids or blackberries, so I reckon not.
    What he said.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    What's a blackberry?

I voted no.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I post from my iphone sometimes. But I just go through the web and post like it was a regular computer. I like it better that way. Mobile apps for things I can do otherwise kind of irritate me. I like having the full version- even if sometimes its a little harder on the eyes.
    I do this as well, but on a blackberry. I don't mind it so much, but might use an app.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I have an iPhone and can view Cyburbia in Safari. I would use an app but would settle for a mobile site too. I am not picky.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    Only if it was a real app.. and not something that requires me to download a third party app like tapatalk.
    A branded app would be a free, full version of Tapatalk, Forum Runner of vBulletin Mobile that would access Cyburbia only. The companies providing the apps would have no access to your data. The relevant username, password and cookies would be stored on your smart phone, not on a central server.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Depending on ease, I probably would.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't have one either, don't plan on getting one unless they make em so cool that they are worthwhile. Right now I don't feel the need to surf the net while away from the computer.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I would use an iphone app for sure. It is a pain in the arse to respond through safari on the phone. I usually never respond until i am in arms reach of a keyboard.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I would have no use for it. Don't have a suitable phone and likely never will.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    this poll inadvertently is a iPhone vs BB poll

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    What's a "mobile app"?
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    What's a "mobile app"?
    Post of the Day

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What are these things you speak of ?

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    What's a "mobile app"?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    OH HELL YEAH!

Samsung Galaxy S, I500
    US Cellular Mesmerize version
    Updated to Froyo, Android 2.2
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    There is a flawed mobile interface at http://www.cyburbia.mobi. Issues with the mobile interface: different results depending on the platform/phone used, and it can't appear in any app stores.
    That link doesn't seem to display any differently either on my PC, iPhone or Blackberry; it doesn't seem to work. A more mobile friendly version of this site I'd still personally prefer over a specific app. If every website I checked had its own specific app, it would be counter-productive.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Here's a mobile cell phone app.

“Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cyburbia on your mobile device
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Jul 2014, 2:22 PM
  2. Mobile, AL - recommendations