Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Urbanist design examples

Registered
    Mar 2011

New Urbanist design examples

Greetings!

Does anyone have any good New Urbanist examples of:

1) wrapped parking (where there are active uses wrapped around the parking),

2) gas backwards (where the gas pumps aren't right along the street and sidewalk),

3) live-work units that are actually in use with tenants and active uses on ground floor and above. (I'm particularly interested in examples of lofts)

I'm a grad student looking for real world examples of these best practices and haven't seen that many in action. If you have pictures, locations, and or contact info, please send them to me at elizabeth.walsh@gmail.com.

Any help would be appreciated!!

All the best,

Elizabeth Walsh
    Doctoral student, Community and Regional Planning
    University of Texas at Austin

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    While not specifically classified as New Urbanist there is one excellent example of live-work units being used as such in Port Credit (Mississauga) Ontario.

http://www.framhomes.com/live_work.html

Other examples have been popping up all over the Greater Toronto Area, with mixed success.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Portland and Salem, OR have wrapped parking design guidelines.

My favorite wrapped parking design project is Belmar in Lakewood, CO.. they have artist studio workspaces wrapped around a 4 storey structure in a way that obscures the structure.

Not that I support or endorse "new urbanism..." (just had to throw in that disclaimer).

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cismontane View post
    Portland and Salem, OR have wrapped parking design guidelines.

My favorite wrapped parking design project is Belmar in Lakewood, CO.. they have artist studio workspaces wrapped around a 4 storey structure in a way that obscures the structure.

Not that I support or endorse "new urbanism..." (just had to throw in that disclaimer).
    In addition to Belmar, Lowery in Denver has a decent example on the actual ground that is a little more practical for typical development.

Not that I'm endorsing NU, of course.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    In addition to Belmar, Lowery in Denver has a decent example on the actual ground that is a little more practical for typical development.

Not that I'm endorsing NU, of course.
    Forgot: Seattle has some flex work space w/no living space, and Sumner, WA has some live-work with lofts over.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Here are a few examples of Live/ Work on sitephocus.com.

In terms of the loft typology, the Streetcar Lofts in Portland and Tribute Lofts in Atlanta come to mind. The Tribute Lofts are very shallow (15'-18' to line the main parking structure), see image #15, with the residential cantilevering out for more depth.

Also, images of the parking garage in Belmar mentioned previously.
    www.sitephocus.com ...get the picture

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2011, 1:21 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Feb 2011, 2:35 PM
  3. TOD design examples
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Apr 2010, 11:56 PM
  4. Townhouse unit design examples