Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Next channel down the road of network decay ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Next channel down the road of network decay ...

BBC America!

Star Trek: The Next Generation?
    Battlestar Galactica?
    The X-Files?
    Movies like Alien 3?

Since when did BBC America become the Sci-Fi Channel with some Top Gear and Graham Norton thrown in for the non-geeks among us? Sure, Americans might not be tha interested in watching sheepdog trials, long cricket tests, and documentaries about toast, but don't you have any more interesting shows that are, you know, from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, that you can air?

I'm looking at the schedule for BBC Canada, and guess what? No American shows, no American movies. Everything's British. Why not the same for the US?

Another channel with potential gone to shit.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    BBC America!

Star Trek: The Next Generation?
    Battlestar Galactica?
    The X-Files?
    Movies like Alien 3?

Since when did BBC America become the Sci-Fi Channel with some Top Gear and Graham Norton thrown in for the non-geeks among us? Sure, Americans might not be tha interested in watching sheepdog trials, long cricket tests, and documentaries about toast, but don't you have any more interesting shows that are, you know, from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, that you can air?

I'm looking at the schedule for BBC Canada, and guess what? No American shows, no American movies. Everything's British. Why not the same for the US?

Another channel with potential gone to shit.
    Yeah. The first one it really happened to was MTV, probably sometime in the very early 90's. Then came ESPN, which is why they had to create ESPN2 and then finally ESPN News, and now you rarely ever catch any actual sporting events on any of them. TLC (formerly "The Learning Channel") decayed in record time. Apparently they figured that most people don't really want to learn. Then Discovery slipped up. Then SyFy (it's not even Sci-Fi, anymore ). Now even "NatGeo" (how lame is that?) is starting to decay somewhat.

A sad state of affairs. This is why I almost never watch TV anymore.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2006
    BBC America is not a channel I watch often, primarily because it doesn't offer much in the way of real British programming (I actually enjoyed the sheepdog trials!) After I found that I was watching a lot of PBS offerings, I recently joined the local public television membership. Mostly I watch public television, the Weather Channel, NatGeo, Smithsonian, Food and Cooking Networks. I watch NASCAR on FOX when it doesn't interfere with being outside on a wonderful Sunday afternoon. I watch NCIS on CBS. I watch NFL football on the various networks -- which may or may not happen this year.

I used to watch HGTV a lot, but lately they've abandoned virtually all their reasonable gardening/room decorating/home buying shows for over-the-top yard and room/house makeovers and shows on people buying million dollar vacation homes. My vacation home is a camper with electric and an outhouse that's shared with a sibling, so I'm not finding much that appeals to me there any more.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Television has become the viewing junkyard for people who aren't committed to wasting their time on the web. HD and 3D are just perfuming the pig. Don't expect it to get better, it's just another victim of technology.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2001
    No CBC? I can't get enough of Beachcombers re-runs.

I thought this topic was going to be on what new channels we think we might get...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    No CBC? I can't get enough of Beachcombers re-runs.

I thought this topic was going to be on what new channels we think we might get...
    I would love to get the CBC but TWC doesn't carry any Canadian stations this far from the border. I remember a Beachcombers show from the 1970s or 1980s when I lived in Buffalo. It was somewhat like the Andy Griffin Show but with quirkier characters and set in the Canadian Pacific NW. Is that the same one?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Yeah. The first one it really happened to was MTV
    Off-topic:
    Great joke last night on the MTV Movie awards by Jason Sudeakis about MTV standing for Music Television for those who don't know - like you MTV Executives...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2002
    And let's not forget what happened to the History Channel, formerly one of the only channels worth watching. Ice Road Truckers?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    And let's not forget what happened to the History Channel, formerly one of the only channels worth watching. Ice Road Truckers?
    Does the History Channel also showcase Swamp People -- or is that A&E?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    It is the same family of stations, so you're seeing the same phenomenon on both stations.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    TLC is another one. At one time they had decent programing. Now it's the same old junk you find on other stations. And don't even get me going on WGN. Now they just do reruns of bad comedy, including Cubs and White Sox games..
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    History is about the only one I'll watch anymore. Yes, they have lots on junk on but some of their shows so showcase history, such as Pawn Stars or American Pickers. To me those beat "specialty shows" such as Ice Road Truckers, Swamp People, Top Shot, etc.

USA and TNT are great for Law and Order reruns, too!
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2004
    They all have gone downhill for sure. But the question I have is whether they are just following what works for ratings. As in- is it the networks that are behind the decay or is it the audience (dumbing down of America, etc.)
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    They all have gone downhill for sure. But the question I have is whether they are just following what works for ratings. As in- is it the networks that are behind the decay or is it the audience (dumbing down of America, etc.)
    It's always driven by the stations - they begin with a narrow specifically defined niche (sci-fi, romance, music videos, etc) and quickly discover advertisers want to hit the largest markets possible. So financially the stations are always under pressure to expand their market appeal to capture more advertising $$. So they gradually creep away from their specialized program niche incrementally and start to offer more programming that is not directly associated with the original model
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    PBS is about the only channel that hasn't gone to pot. Nearly every channel has some crappy reality or contest show on it these days.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post

I would venture to say it is the networks. Their only goal is to get better ratings, and therefore every market study and survey is going to result in the same thing (dumbing it down to appeal to the lowest common demoninator). For a lot of the same reasons, movies nowadays seem to be getting dumber and dumber as well. Producers make movies now, but back in the day when you had your Kubricks and Coppolas directors had more freedom.

Still though, you get a few positive points. AMC is still a pretty decent station IMO (granted they like to play their fair share of Predator). One recent positive I will say about TV networks is the mini-series like Mad Men, Dexter, Boardwalk etc. have been even more enjoyable to watch than movies. I guess that's only one redeeming quality surrounded by a sea of Dancing with the Stars and Guess a Number 1-10 type shows.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    PBS is about the only channel that hasn't gone to pot. Nearly every channel has some crappy reality or contest show on it these days.
    I tend to agree. I recently joined the local PBS station out of Buffalo.

I forgot that USA has a few interesting original series that I watch occasionally plus reruns of NCIS and Law And Order.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    History is about the only one I'll watch anymore. Yes, they have lots on junk on but some of their shows so showcase history, such as Pawn Stars or American Pickers. To me those beat "specialty shows" such as Ice Road Truckers, Swamp People, Top Shot, etc.

USA and TNT are great for Law and Order reruns, too!
    American pickers are local folks living 15 miles up the river. An OK show just waiting to jump the shark.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    An OK show just waiting to jump the shark.
    Done.

When they started doing picks for named celebrities or organizations - William Shatner and the NASCAR Fall of Fame.

I guess finding cool stuff in the middle of nowheresvilles wasn't "sellable" enough for the producers.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Dec 2010, 3:35 PM
  2. Classifying urban decay
    Information Technology
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 May 2009, 4:00 PM
  3. Circular road network vs grid system
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 26