Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Applying for pizza delivery driver position...which degrees should I leave off application?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2010

Applying for pizza delivery driver position...which degrees should I leave off application?

I recently learned of an opening with a pizza parlor for a delivery driver and wanted to get some advice as to the amount of my education I should include on the job application. I have a BA from a half-decent state school in NY, an MRP from an ivy league school and an MA in urban studies from a very selective school in NYC.

I am definitely not going to include the graduate degrees (duh!) but where I could use some advice is on whether or not to include the BA. Does anyone think that just having a BA could hurt my chances of getting this job?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Put down the undergrad, but don't indicate that a degree was awarded.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by crummmountain View post
    I recently learned of an opening with a pizza parlor for a delivery driver and wanted to get some advice as to the amount of my education I should include on the job application. I have a BA from a half-decent state school in NY, an MRP from an ivy league school and an MA in urban studies from a very selective school in NYC.

I am definitely not going to include the graduate degrees (duh!) but where I could use some advice is on whether or not to include the BA. Does anyone think that just having a BA could hurt my chances of getting this job?

The BA is fine, perhaps skip the grad degrees. Key thing is to talk to the head manager of the establishment and not the lower managers. I'm in the same boat as you having ended up unexpectedly unemployed due to an offer being rescinded after I left my previous job. I work at McDonald's now, but at least I had a lot of previous experience there since that's how I put myself through school for a number of years. The biggest roadblock you have to overcome is convincing the hiring manager that you will stick around for a while.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Did you get a BA in Driving or Delivery? That might help. Also did you minor in beer drinking or late night munchies?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by crummmountain View post
    I

Say you were in a frat and loved cardboard pizza.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Delivery Driver?? mention your classes in GIS. when they ask you what is that? tell them you're the guy who programs the GPS/garmin thingies
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2010
    "...did you minor in beer drinking or late night munchies?"

NO! But I wish I did.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    BA is the new high school, I wouldn't worry about it unless you went to Harvard or something. Plus they're not going to invest more than about three hours training you, so they probably break even if you last two weeks. Once you learn your way around, being a delivery driver is a pretty relaxing job, and fun to go cruising through neighborhoods you wouldn't otherwise get to see ... try to stay on your toes though, plenty of stoned idiots out there. And don't let the customers get you down - some of them like to pretend that you've done something wrong so they have an excuse not to tip, I swear some even give bad directions on purpose so they can act like a jerk when it takes you a while to find their house - just take it all in stride.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011
    Seems like most of the time when I do deliveries customers seems completely oblivious to the idea of tipping.

/vent

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by VexedCoffee View post
    Seems like most of the time when I do deliveries customers seems completely oblivious to the idea of tipping.

/vent

I know, and it's lame - without tips you're basically just working to cash in the equity in your car. I don't think most people realize that each delivery most likely involves a special trip to and from the restaurant. If you ask me $2 is the minimum -

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Nov 2013, 3:30 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 26 Jun 2013, 5:24 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 13 Apr 2007, 12:38 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Oct 2005, 6:43 PM
  5. .Com grocery delivery service
    Land Use and Zoning