Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Green initiative - who does it?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Green initiative - who does it?

What department in your jurisdiction recommends or administers your "Green Initiative?"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The facilities maintenance guy waters the two plants in my office a couple days a week, does that count?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The facilities maintenance guy waters the two plants in my office a couple days a week, does that count?

No, no, no. That would only count if *you* took the initiative to water the plants.

The maintenance guy wouldn't be the maintenance guy if he had any initiative.

(Sorry, it is Friday after all).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    What department in your jurisdiction recommends or administers your "Green Initiative?"
    Wait: are you claiming that Green Initiatives have administration that sets and monitors goals? Frreals?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    Wait: are you claiming that Green Initiatives have administration that sets and monitors goals? Frreals?
    I know...what a concept!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    I'd put it under your Ecomonic Development department. Sustainibility is primarily an economic issue and once you get your ED people to realize that you will have a much stronger ally in the community.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If we had one it would sit under Planning & Zoning. Our street department would support a green initiative only if it meant grass...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just curious, have we reached the point where "green" initiatives are standard protocol for local governments?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    If it is not in planning or community development there better be excellent communications.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Just curious, have we reached the point where "green" initiatives are standard protocol for local governments?
    No way. Not in our lifetimes, either, IMHO.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    No way. Not in our lifetimes, either, IMHO.

They're standard to a degree in California now. Granted, it's not a 100% offset of greenhouse gas emissions, but projects are required to reduce GHG emissions by +/- 30% (depending on jurisdiction).

If we're talking total 100% offset... then yes, I agree, even in CA not in our lifetimes.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    but projects are required to reduce GHG emissions by +/- 30% (depending on jurisdiction).
    Based on my muni's council, GHG is not a significant environmental effect. And climate change is a farce. and yes, i live and work in coastal california.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Based on my muni's council, GHG is not a significant environmental effect. And climate change is a farce. and yes, i live and work in coastal california.

Mostly built-out city with only small scale projects?

If so, I can understand that to a degree - for whatever reason, smaller scale projects are given a full pass.

If not, then your city will change its tune the first time you get a controversial project (*cough*WalMart*cough*) and the EIR gets sued :P

Edit: And even with a City Council that doesn't believe in GCC, all projects in your City still would achieve in the range of 15-20% offsets in GHGs due to federal/state/regional regulations. Pavley, LCFS, etc.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    They're standard to a degree in California now.
    Speaking for an ex-resident of Sacto, sure the Blueprint was useful, but as soon as the Greek Club wants to develop their land, the 'Green' checklist goes out the window.

Nonetheless, we have some around here. They are merely eyewash and serve to raise awareness at this point. I attended the public sessions for my fair city, and the staffing expertise was...erm...lacking...at best. No way anyone knowledgeable would be part of the program to make anything enforceable at this time. When the Front Range begins to depopulate due to water pricing from scarcity, then something will get done...

Bottom line: green plans are nice-looking shelf art around here. Which is saying more than many places. I'm working on a team for a BMP for small towns mostly in Dixie for an organization, and the level of sophistication of the target is shocking - the audience is lacking basic knowledge, let alone plans or initiatives.

To assume everyone has initiatives is naive.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 1:10 PM
  2. Livable Centers Initiative
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 2:38 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jul 2006, 12:10 PM
  4. Rural Heritage Development Initiative
    Rural and Small Town Planning