Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pedestrian friendly McDonald's

Registered
    Jan 2006

Pedestrian friendly McDonald's

Anybody have examples and how you accomplished it? We have design standards on the dias but the Council won't act. Hurts economic development, ya know . . .

After we pointed out the tremendous public investment we made in pedestrian infrastructure to deliver foot traffic to their front door, it was pretty easy to get them to connect up to the public sidewalks. It's not the best connection as it crosses part of their internal circulation, but it does work.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Will this be a location with or without a drive thru? Are you trying to connect the sidewalk to the entrance doors so pedestrians don't have to dodge cars? And is this situated on a corner lot or in the middle if the block. I've worked in about 20 different locations personally and have seen many more configurations. Shoot me a PM if you like.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Will this be a location with or without a drive thru? Are you trying to connect the sidewalk to the entrance doors so pedestrians don't have to dodge cars? And is this situated on a corner lot or in the middle if the block. I've worked in about 20 different locations personally and have seen many more configurations. Shoot me a PM if you like.
    Drive thru
    corner lot
    Want to loop the drive through around the parking lot, not the building.

Elementary school, middle school, high school, 2 colleges within 1/2 mile. Council saying nobody walks anywhere. $*%&#*

Check out the Burger King at the Southwest corner of East Colfax Ave and Gilpin St in Denver, CO. It is a corner lot with a drive through built right up to the back of the public sidewalk.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    There are plenty of locations that have a DT lane that loops around the perimeter of the parking lot to get to the menu boards/speaker rather than have the lane wrap around the building.

The most notable one that I worked at personally was located at 11201 SW 72nd Ave in Tigard, OR. Although it was a corner lot there was only one access in/out and it was situated on the feeder road and not the arterial. At the time we did not have the second set of parking spaces on the west end of the lot, just the exit from the DT lane.

Depending on how the proposed site plan looks and which way McD's wants to orient the restaurant on the lot and how close to the street they want the location will determine what you ultimately end up with.

Here's another one with a similar DT lane: 15975 Southwest Regatta Lane, Beaverton, OR
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I successfully had the McDonalds in Perth Amboy NJ install sidewalk, sidewalk entrances, shift their side door location, and install cross walk in their parking lot. I accomplished this by asking them for a traffic count of drive through (there were stacking concerns in an urban environment too), parking and eating patrons, and walk ins. When we saw over 20 pedestrians an hour being served during lunch times it was pretty easy to convince the engineer that it was warranted.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    There is one here in the center of town.

what it looks like..

cheers
    nz

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Probably not the answer that is helpful to you, but the best drivethru is no drivethru. When I worked in a previous city a fast food chain wanted to come to town. We were willing to work with them and things were going OK until they told us the drivethru was non-negotiable. The zoning didn't allow it and we said we wouldn't support a zoning change. They left and a health clinic ended up building there.

If you have to have a drivethru I agree that through the parking lot makes the most sense.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Just a few stats for you...

An average location....

Grosses $5K per day with an average check of $6-$7 per order
    Daily customer count is 700-800
    70%+ of the transactions are in the drive-thru
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    A McDonald's in Clearwater, FL on Clearwater Beach has no drive-thru, parking located on the side of the side and the building relatively close up to the sidewalk.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=27.971952...,78.29,,0,1.36
    Last edited by Tobinn; 03 Oct 2011 at 2:56 PM. Reason: Changed start of sentence from "The McDonald's" to "A McDonald's". Didn't want to imply that there was only one in the City.
    At times like this, you have to ask yourself, "WWJDD?"
    (What Would Jimmy Durante Do?)

     
    Registered
    Oct 2011

Here's an urban burger king with a drive through

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=burger...,277.99,,1,2.4

Pretty unusual for San Francisco. For maximum pedestrian friendliness, the obvious answer is street parking only, and no drive through.

If you're in a suburban area, and they're demanding a drive thru, this might be a better example: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcdona...4,,0,-2.7&z=20

That said, I don't think either of these would be approved nowadays.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    We haven't allowed drive thru restaurants in more than a decade. And they still all do quite well.
    Our current McDonalds:
    No drive through.
    Parking to sides or rear. NONE in front.
    Sidewalk from road.
    Walk up window. This is used. I'm in New England; it is cold a good part of the year. And it is still frequently used.

Not perfect, but probably the best you're going to get for the use not in an urban setting. Most people aren't taking a recreational opportunity or a leisurely stroll to get a Big Mac.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by bakazhan View post
    If you're in a suburban area, and they're demanding a drive thru, this might be a better example: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcdona...4,,0,-2.7&z=20

That said, I don't think either of these would be approved nowadays.
    Granted that your McD's example is located deep inside of the City of San Francisco, here is a Burger King that is here in Appleton, WI (Wisconsin Ave/Story St):
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.272984...38.63,,0,-3.74
    The drive-through is in the back of the building, with its entrance located between that hedgerow and the fence that screens it from the pre-WWII SF neighborhood that is directly behind it.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2006
    believe it or not they caved! Building will be to the corner, outside cafe seating, drive through on the side around the modest parking lot. thanks everyone!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congrats, its always good to hear success stories.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    This McDonald's is at the corner of Reno and Byers in Oklahoma City, right on the eastern edge of Bricktown. It's auto-oriented, but still receptive to pedestrian traffic coming over from Bricktown. The main building is practically against the street. There is no driveway or circulation path between the streets and the building. Parking is to the side/rear and the drive-through is quite unusual in its location.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    This McDonald's is at the corner of Reno and Byers in Oklahoma City, right on the eastern edge of Bricktown. It's auto-oriented, but still receptive to pedestrian traffic coming over from Bricktown. The main building is practically against the street. There is no driveway or circulation path between the streets and the building. Parking is to the side/rear and the drive-through is quite unusual in its location.
    That is a bit different, but not bad. Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    believe it or not they caved! Building will be to the corner, outside cafe seating, drive through on the side around the modest parking lot. thanks everyone!
    Ive seen fast food outlets go from empty lot to open business in 2 months, so do you have any pictures for us?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Council saying nobody walks anywhere. $*%&#*
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    There are plenty of locations that have a DT lane that loops around the perimeter of the parking lot to get to the menu boards/speaker rather than have the lane wrap around the building.
    I worked on one that connected to the front sidewalk and crossed the DT. You can do it, despite the profound laziness or ignorance of some Councilmembers.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 3:49 PM
  2. McDonald's Goes Local
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 11:37 AM
  3. Pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods in LA?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Jul 2004, 4:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 May 2003, 10:08 AM
  5. Replies: 44
    Last post: 12 May 2003, 1:10 PM