Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would a Cyburbian Thanksgiving be like?

Registered
    Dec 2008

What would a Cyburbian Thanksgiving be like?

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I just ate a Devil Dog and it was delicious. I'm considering going back for another.
    What's a Devil Dog, and if they're that good would you consider eating another on my behalf since I can't have one It would feel better knowing that one more got eaten.

The Cyburbian Thanksgiving

Have you every wondered what a Cyburbian Thanksgiving would be like? Would Dan wear a cardigan sweater and carve the turkey? Would a bunch of folks fall asleep watching football? There would, of course, be obligatory and good natured political discussions...Would someone shout "Do you think you're better than me!?!?" and throw a punch? Would I forget to bring the stuffing? Would LP have to ask btrage not to put his elbows on the table? And most importantly would anybody make an inappropriate pass and get slapped and then say "I thought we were SECOND cousins" (otterpop)? I would be playing "Battleship" with any takers (Maister).

These are things that I wonder about......I think you should fill in any blanks for me and make my weekend brighter
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    What's a Devil Dog, and if they're that good would you consider eating another on my behalf since I can't have one It would feel better knowing that one more got eaten.

The Cyburbian Thanksgiving

Have you every wondered what a Cyburbian Thanksgiving would be like? Would Dan wear a cardigan sweater and carve the turkey? Would a bunch of folks fall asleep watching football? There would, of course, be obligatory and good natured political discussions...Would someone shout "Do you think you're better than me!?!?" and throw a punch? Would I forget to bring the stuffing? Would LP have to ask btrage not to put his elbows on the table? And most importantly would anybody make an inappropriate pass and get slapped and then say "I thought we were SECOND cousins" (otterpop)? I would be playing "Battleship" with any takers (Maister).

These are things that I wonder about......I think you should fill in any blanks for me and make my weekend brighter
    I would lead the drunk-on-wine charades session!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure if the "Battleship" you refer to is of the 'D-5...miss....E-1....hit' variety, but if so I'm in.

HomerJ would be that studly young relative that brings their uber-hot date over for Thanksgiving that makes all the old married guys jealous.

Moderator note:
    split from none other than RTDNTOTO
    Last edited by Maister; 23 Nov 2011 at 5:09 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    OT - Link for Devil Dogs. I tried to go back for a second for you only to find they were out. I had to settle for a Little Debbie Cupcake instead.

I think I would be outside playing football with the guys. Or at least admiring (or making fun of) the guys playing football.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    OT - Link for Devil Dogs. I tried to go back for a second for you only to find they were out. I had to settle for a Little Debbie Cupcake instead.
    Off-topic:
    I'm relieved to hear that. I wondered if maybe you were referring to something else.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think the setting for the The Cyburbian Thanksgiving would be a rambling, u-shaped suburban ranch house on a two acre parcel. The men would be wearing blue shirts, khaki pants and brown loafers. The ladies would be dressed in red pumps, short black skirts and white blouses.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I would also like to play apples to apples, backgammon, and poker.

Interested parties meet me in the den.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I think the setting for the The Cyburbian Thanksgiving would be a rambling, u-shaped suburban ranch house on a two acre parcel. The men would be wearing blue shirts, khaki pants and brown loafers. The ladies would be dressed in red pumps, short black skirts and white blouses.
    Sounds good to me, especially the red pumps and short black skirts part.

I picture massive amounts of wine being consumed and an ample supply of micro-brews available.

Twister anyone?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    HomerJ would be that studly young relative that brings their uber-hot date over for Thanksgiving that makes all the old married guys jealous.

I would also try bringing in a casserole that resembled a future land use map. Try guessing which ingredients make up the legend!!!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm not sure if the "Battleship" you refer to is of the 'D-5...miss....E-1....hit' variety, but if so I'm in.

That's the game, bro. If you bring a battleship game to your office, I will bring one too. We can email hits and misses and in a low-tech geeky way play battleship. You make the call

This is beyond true. Later, after dinner, Otis would accidentally walk in on the makeout (upstairs bathroom, that's where it always goes down).

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I would lead the drunk-on-wine charades session!
    But of course! "Ok, three words...no wait...two words...no wait...screw it. Fillerup, RJ!"

OT - [URL="http://www.drakesdevildogs.com/"] I had to settle for a Little Debbie Cupcake instead.

I think I would be outside playing football with the guys. Or at least admiring (or making fun of) the guys playing football.
    You SO would.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kjel would be that relative that brings over some curious ethnic dish that somehow doesn't fit in with the whole Turkeyday motif, but actually tastes better than anything anyone else brought.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I picture massive amounts of wine being consumed and an ample supply of micro-brews available.

Twister anyone?
    Apples to Apples in the den, "Lit" Twister in the family room. There could be some fairly good "Singing Uncles" style impromptu music, with several cyburbians (imaplanner plays, I know) playing and singing various stuff...what I wonder? Grandma's Feather Bed seems a natural choice....

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The ladies would be dressed in red pumps, short black skirts and white blouses.
    You're dreaming... I sure wouldn't be dressed that way. (I don't like dressing up.)

I'd drink way too much wine 'cause I'm shy. Or simply observe everyone for awhile before feeling brave enough to join the conversation. Then you couldn't shut me up.

I bet I'd love whatever ethnic dish kjel made.

When I was in grad school, a bunch of us had a potluck Thanksgiving at someone's apartment because we couldn't afford to fly home. I picture it like that.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I imagine ofos and Otis in the TV room just off the den stuffing there faces with mashed potatoes and gravy and anything else soft yelling at all of us, "Will all of you keep the noise down out there, we're trying to watch a football game!!!" But we don't understand what they're saying because they've removed their dentures.

Off-topic:
    EDIT: Are we going to have to do this again next month for RJ's Cyburbian Birthday Party and The Cyburbain Christmas?

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Don't forget there would be a whole bunch of creepy unidentified guests from the outside just staring in at the festivities
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'll bring some "herbed" stuffing.... man...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    And RJ is the uncle with a bad hair comb-over who drinks too much wine and then tries to hit on all the women with double entendre jokes about balls, club length and strokes.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I hope the house has a basement big enough for De Noc and North Oak Creek. I'll be the one drawing during the party, with everyone coming by and seeing what I'm up to. Seriously...map-drawing is a great party-trick and conversation-starter.

I also hope there's a bar in the basement.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2008
    And I'll do it now - because you all know that I would -

"I just want to say I'm thankful for all of you guys....(and my lip starts to tremble a little, endearingly)...and this has been so, so special to me that I just need to hug you all before you go...."

This is the point where Raf says that he'll kick my ass if I try to hug him, but I know that he wants a hug so I chase him around anyway....

*sigh* My real Thanksgiving will not be NEARLY this much fun.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a vision...after we've eaten dinner and pumpkin pie and watched all the football games, urban19 arrives in a bus and takes us all to Black Friday shopping at macy*s and Forever 21 at midnight.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    This is pretty much the best thread ever. Well, except for everyone's favorite radio show, obviously.

Other than Astronomy Honor on The Throbbing Brain , a Cyburbian Thanksgiving is way up there!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    And RJ is the uncle with a bad hair comb-over who drinks too much wine and then tries to hit on all the women with double entendre jokes about balls, club length and strokes.
    Best Post about RJ

No Jello molds with fruit ?

Fresh cranberry relish, NOT canned.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Listening to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There's always the idiotic stuff I seem to do every year: put the cranberry sauce in a fine china dish, cover it until dinner is served, and then forget to put it on the table. Over and over again...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody planned on eating too much ?
    Oddball

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Nov 2012, 9:31 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 13 Nov 2005, 1:08 PM
  3. Thanksgiving Mishaps
    Friday Afternoon Club