Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is there an app for 'know the sound but not the name or words'?

  1. #1
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,689

    Is there an app for 'know the sound but not the name or words'?

    If you know the name of the song but don't know the artist or lyrics you can look it up online and listen to it. Similarly, if you know the artist's name or the lyrics you can also look it up and listen to it. If, however, one knows what the song sounds like...has the melody running through their heads but doesn't know the artist, title, or lyrics they're kinda screwed. At this point you're pretty much reduced to humming the song (and boy you'd better be able to carry a tune) for friends and asking them 'do you know this song'?. Know what I'm talking about?
    I had a song with an iconic sax riff running through my head for days (much later found out it was a Gerry Rafferty tune) and no one could tell me who or what song it was. Most frustrating. There should be an app for that.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I had a song with an iconic sax riff running through my head for days (much later found out it was a Gerry Rafferty tune) and no one could tell me who or what song it was.
    "Baker Street"?

    If someone is going to have an app for that, it should apply to bird calls, too. There's nothing more difficult than trying to describe (or imitate) a bird call or song that you can't identify.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    If you know the name of the song but don't know the artist or lyrics you can look it up online and listen to it. Similarly, if you know the artist's name or the lyrics you can also look it up and listen to it. If, however, one knows what the song sounds like...has the melody running through their heads but doesn't know the artist, title, or lyrics they're kinda screwed. At this point you're pretty much reduced to humming the song (and boy you'd better be able to carry a tune) for friends and asking them 'do you know this song'?. Know what I'm talking about?
    I had a song with an iconic sax riff running through my head for days (much later found out it was a Gerry Rafferty tune) and no one could tell me who or what song it was. Most frustrating. There should be an app for that.
    I heard a song on the car radio this morning and really liked it. It was on a classic rock station, and I never heard it before. It's about taking someone to a little cabin in the woods. That's about all I remember, but the music was good.

    And, yes, Maister, I think you heard Baker Street.

  4. #4
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,689
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    "Baker Street"?

    If someone is going to have an app for that, it should apply to bird calls, too. There's nothing more difficult than trying to describe (or imitate) a bird call or song that you can't identify.
    Indeed it was Baker Street.

    I heard a bird the other day that sounded like chirp chirp....chirp chirp (I say 'chirp' but 'tweet' is perhaps closer to the mark). It is absolutely essential I identify this bird, so your assistance is crucial!

    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I heard a song on the car radio this morning and really liked it. It was on a classic rock station, and I never heard it before. It's about taking someone to a little cabin in the woods. That's about all I remember, but the music was good.
    That sounds so cool. I too heard an excellent song the other day. It didn't have any words but the guitar part sounded like bwah bwaaah bwah bwaaah..chicka chicka bwang and the drum part had a moderate tempo that went rat a tat ratatatat rat a tat...rata rata tat. The melody sounded something like bwee da deeee dee dah dahhh...bweee bweeee da dahhhh... and so on.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Possible Song Titles

    Maister, kms, Mud Princess.....possible song titles (or birdie calls) for you to consider.....

    Freebird
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    Smoke On The Water
    Cow Bells

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  6. #6
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,634
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I heard a song on the car radio this morning and really liked it. It was on a classic rock station, and I never heard it before. It's about taking someone to a little cabin in the woods. That's about all I remember, but the music was good.

    And, yes, Maister, I think you heard Baker Street.
    If it's a song that's playing you can use SoundHound or Shazzam apps to figure out what it is I don't think it will work if you sing it though.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  7. #7
    Cyburbian mgk920's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,166
    A lot of radio stations, especially the locally-produced 'classic rock' ones, now put their broadcast logs online. Go to the station's website and look around.

    Good luck, this has worked for me on several occasions.

    Mike

  8. #8
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,258
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The melody sounded something like bwee da deeee dee dah dahhh...bweee bweeee da dahhhh... and so on.
    Probably a Bweetles tune.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    ... sounded like bwah bwaaah bwah bwaaah..chicka chicka bwang and the drum part had a moderate tempo that went rat a tat ratatatat rat a tat...rata rata tat. The melody sounded something like bwee da deeee dee dah dahhh...bweee bweeee da dahhhh... and so on.
    You know, mechanics (excuse me, automotive technicians ) also have to interpret the sounds their customers describe in order to diagnose a car problem. I think we're doing really well at identifying potential target markets for this app. Now all we need is a software developer!

  10. #10
    Cyburbian boiker's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    West Valley, AZ
    Posts
    3,894
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    If it's a song that's playing you can use SoundHound or Shazzam apps to figure out what it is I don't think it will work if you sing it though.
    It does work with singing and humming, although not as well. The main sax melody of Baker St. ought to be something that the app can identify easily. it's blown me away how good the apps are at identifying songs.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Sound and planning
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Jul 2012, 4:48 PM
  2. Words you Like. AIB Words you hate
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 05 Apr 2005, 10:43 AM
  3. Use of sound in cities
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 05 Aug 2004, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 23 Jul 2004, 2:02 AM