Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Correlation between residential density and lenght of road/area of ROW

Correlation between residential density and lenght of road/area of ROW

Is anyone familiar with studies which quantify the relationship between residential density and the amount of road that it accompanies it? We know increasing residential density leads to a decrease in road length per unit (and generally an increase in road/residential acre) but we haven't been able to find any studies which give a number to this relationship. All I've seen is studies looking at the relationship between trips or vmt and density. Any help is appreciated.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    How much roadway in suburbia would you attribute to higher density development-related traffic? The study you're seeking probably doesn't exist because it's impossible to attribute every square inch of roadway constructed to the myriad of uses (both local and regional) that those roadways serve.

What's wrong with the studies linking VMT to density? Seems to me that you should be able to compare the amount of VMT under dense developments with the VMT of sprawl-oriented developments to get some sort of a ratio. From there, you could probably calculate the amount of roadway available in the study area and attribute amount of pavement to each use type based on the calculated ratio...
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

I'm looking to estimate the amount of road as one component of a fiscal impact analaysis which looks at varying degrees of residential density. Its understood most residential roads would be paid for by the developer, but long-term maintainance and plowing are something being considered.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown25 View post
    I'm looking to estimate the amount of road as one component of a fiscal impact analaysis which looks at varying degrees of residential density. Its understood most residential roads would be paid for by the developer, but long-term maintainance and plowing are something being considered.
    I don't have one at hand, but IIRC there are several ITE manuals that give the charts and their associated studies that give the density per unit area and Trips Per Day {TPD}. That's been done for a long time now. As far as the total ROW, that depends on the local rules - treelawn width, roadway classification, etc.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jan 2012, 4:56 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 2:51 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Mar 2008, 5:33 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Jan 2008, 5:11 PM