Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Schools that don't require GRE

Schools that don't require GRE

Can anyone provide a list of schools or at least name a few that don't require GRE submission?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    San Jose State University doesn't if your gpa is above a 3.0

I believe Ohio State does not.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Eastern Washington University (may require minimum GPA?).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Might be cheaper to get in-state tuition and study some more.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2005
    Wayne State doesn't. At least when I went there.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2006
    Clark University in Worcester MA does not require GRE's and neither does SUNY Albany(University at Albany). The Clark program is not accredied but Albany is. If that matters.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I really wouldn't worry about the GRE. Aside from actually have to go to take the exam and pay for it, it's simple. Most programs don't have extremely high expectations. The biggest issue I had with the test is that it seemed to cover things that I hadn't done in a long time (i.e. geometry which I took as a freshman in high school I think). A quick flip through a GRE study manual (available at most libraries or through a university career center) catches you up pretty quick. I took the GRE a bit early because several of the schools I was looking at required it, but not all. I also spoke with several individuals at programs I was looking at and they indicated that the most important aspect of the submission was my personal statement and my references. Some even indicated that if you don't achieve the minimum GRE score, you could still get in.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    [QUOTE=transguy;614849]
    I really wouldn't worry about the GRE. ...The biggest issue I had with the test is that it seemed to cover things that I hadn't done in a long time (i.e. geometry which I took as a freshman in high school I think). A quick flip through a GRE study manual (available at most libraries or through a university career center) catches you up pretty quick. I/QUOTE]

And purchasing the study material and actually studying is waaaay cheaper than moving out of state and paying out of state tuition so you don't have to test.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    [QUOTE=ColoGI;614869]
    Quote Originally posted by transguy View post
    I really wouldn't worry about the GRE. ...The biggest issue I had with the test is that it seemed to cover things that I hadn't done in a long time (i.e. geometry which I took as a freshman in high school I think). A quick flip through a GRE study manual (available at most libraries or through a university career center) catches you up pretty quick. I/QUOTE]

And purchasing the study material and actually studying is waaaay cheaper than moving out of state and paying out of state tuition so you don't have to test.
    Well said! That sounds like sound advice.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Portland State didn't a few years ago...it's optional.

I didn't rock the GRE and didn't care. Most planning programs only look at it as a single component of your application and aren't going to knock you if you don't get a 700 on the math section. Put forth a good, well rounded, and interesting application and the rest will fall into place.

FWIW, I got an 1160 on the GRE with a 6 on the writing section, had a 3.6 GPA in undergrad from a very small regional state school and graduated with two masters from a top 10 planning program with a pretty good financial aid package.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2011
    The University of Illinois-Chicago only requires the GRE for financial aid reasons.

thanks for the input, so at these schools that don't require them, would it still be beneficial to take?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by crabmeat91 View post
    thanks for the input, so at these schools that don't require them, would it still be beneficial to take?
    Take, yes.

Submit, depends on your scores. If they're good scores, they can only help. If they're bad, don't send them. You'll never know until you just take the test, though I do recommend studying for it first.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Does UIC require the GRE?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Aug 2011, 1:07 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Are there states that require AICP?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Apr 2010, 5:19 PM