Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Will your life be different in 2012?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Will your life be different in 2012?

Why do people think that as a year changes, peoples lives will change? I have mixed emotions on how people look at new years resolutions as if just with the change of a calendar our lives can also change. Ben Franklin formed 13 virtues to live by and he based weekly resolutions around each of these, not just once a year. I am slowly getting into that thought process by working to better understand who I want to be in life.

Will your life be different in 2012? What are you willing to do to make it different?

I have heard it said that people will make a comment like "I have 30 year's experience" at something, but they just do the same thing over and over, so it is more like one year's experience 30 times. Are you going to do something different in 2012?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I think too often, people get too caught up in the daily grind to really make significant life goals on a weekly basis and follow-through on them. Instead, people live week to week according to a list of tasks to do at work and chores to do at home. The New Year gives people a chance to look more broadly at the past year and make more significant long-term goals they would like to achieve in the upcoming year. The problem is few people keep track of their progress in meeting their yearly goals and re-evaluating throughout the year. Achieving long-term yearly goals doesn't usually happen instantly...it requires patience and persistence throughout the year. But if people don't keep at it, it surely will never happen. In addition, I think other unforseen things and things that cannot be controlled happen throughout the year which may alter people's perspective and cause people to change priorities. For instance, the person whose goal was to save money for a vacation ends up hospitalized or unemployed and then their goal of a vacation ends up getting sidelined while a new goal emerges of wanting to feel better and walk again or just find a new job and be able to keep a roof over their head.

For 2012, my main goal is to become more financially secure, and I hope to pay off most of my credit card debt and debt to my parents by the end of the year. I also want to be able to start saving money and feel more comfortable in my life, so I actually have a little bit more money for food and fun, instead of feeling like I'm living in poverty due to student loan payments and the high costs of living (rent, utilities, insurance, bills, gas, etc.). To achieve this goal, I plan to either get a 2nd job working nights/weekends, find a better-paying full-time job, or secure a more significant raise at my current job.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    There is alot of potential for changes this year. Many irons in the fire either coming out or going deeper in.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We will have a new baby in the house after 18 years. I think that will be different.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    We'll have a new house in 2012, one way or another.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Lots of changes in 2012. My wife finally gets full employment, and my job continues to grow/change. We just sided our house, so it even feels like a different house. What more could you ask for.

Good things to come in 2012.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    New job in 2012. That, I feel, will be a welcome change for me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The "Big Change" for 2012 in my case involves the future of my family:

My wife's cousin, who has been living with us since July, will be moving out. A bit bittersweet because we were trying to help her get a new start, but she just wasn't getting anywhere. However, we have helped her gameplan for her return to Ohio and how to deal with her family stuff up there as far as living situations and emotional abuse. We'll see if she can pull it off. Otherwise, I at least think this time down with us was good for her self-esteem & confidence. That being said, she was driving me absolutely nuts and I'm ready for her to live somewhere else.

My 20yo nephew got his girlfriend pregnant and they are getting married in January. Perhaps not the best decision ever, as they are both still in college, but they are handling everything maturely for the most part and I'm excited because they go to college where I live. That means that I will get to play a more active role in their baby's life and support them as they finish school (no, they are not moving in, but yes we'll be the go-to for babysitting). As much as it pains me to know how hard things will be for them and the implications it carries for realizing some of their dreams, I am very excited about having them so close (both for the baby and for whatever support they need). My nephew grew up worshiping the ground I walked on as the "cool uncle," so hopefully that can carry to his kiddo! I'm also immensely enjoying calling my brother "grandpa" .

The other part of the change comes between my wife and I, as we make big decisions about bringing a Mini-'Burb Fixer into the mix. In the coming months we'll be deciding on a route of adoption to pursue, and figuring out how to make it work financially (some adoption processes are pretty expensive, and we're going to pick the best route for us regardless of cost). I get very excited thinking that it is a possibility that next Christmas could potentially include little ones in our family.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2010
    2011 was a very intense year for me and I vividly remember all of the anxieties I was facing a year ago. Two low paying and stressful jobs, very little money, even less sleep, and an overall feeling of being lost.

Not everything in my life is fixed but I'm in a far better place now. I have a stable job and am also much more financially stable. I moved away from home, which ultimately was a very good decision because I realize how independent I have become. I also have a great girlfriend, a crazy dog, and a lot of friends I have made since moving. Most importantly, I don't spend so much time worrying about my future, I have a few plans down the road for what I eventually want to do but as of right now I'm still soaking in the new job and new people and just trying to enjoy everything as much as I can.

If things keep going the way they have been, 2012 should be an awesome year for me *fingers crossed*
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Still single just older.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll be spending the first three months of the new year in New York. I guess that will be different.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Provided there's no financial crises, this will be a year where I break out of my comfort zone. My goals:

* Visit Iceland in March or April.
    * Improve my Spanish to the point where I feel I can call myself bilingual.
    * Try some new foods and expand my diet.
    * Learn how to play a musical instrument.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Provided there's no financial crises, this will be a year where I break out of my comfort zone. My goals:

You know Dan, 3 of the 4 will work together but I can't for the life of me think how Spanish will help you in Iceland. Of course stranger things do happen I guess.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    The BF (of over 5 years) wants to make some career changes that would possibly require him to move out of state and I've told him that I'm not going with him unless I have a ring. Looking for a new job in some of the locations mentioned would terrify me right now...so I'm hoping the economy gets better in general. Happy New Year Cyburbians!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Will my life be different in 2012?

I thought this was the perfect question to ask the ultimate online oracle, which replied, "It is decidedly so."

That's probably as good an answer as any at this point...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

My wife and I have talked about visiting Iceland this year. Not the easiest place to get to from Texas though...

Learning Spanish is my office's New Year's Resolution. We picked-up some Rosetta Stone packages at a reasonable price for Latin American Spanish.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    You know Dan, 3 of the 4 will work together but I can't for the life of me think how Spanish will help you in Iceland. Of course stranger things do happen I guess.
    Icelandic is the most difficult of the Germanic languages to learn. There's no definite articles, and they conjugate nouns. Icelandic is spoken very quickly, like Mexican Spanish, and words are slurred together. Watching an Icelandic television show or movie with subtitles, it's very difficult to pick up any of it, despite it being a Germanic language, aside from greetings and the like (hallo, bless, takk, ja, nai, days and months, etc). Word order is exactly the same as in English, though. Most Icelanders speak fluent English, but I'm reading up on the basics.

Spanish will be much more useful in the long term. I remember a LOT from my New Mexico years, and it'll form a foundation for filling in the blanks.

English may be a clusterfuck, but with simple, flexible grammar and a vocabulary that's half Germanic and half Romance, it make it a lot easier to learn other European languauges than if you're coming from a strictly Germanic or Romance laguauge.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

It Better Be.....

Will my life be better in 2012? It damn well better be. 2011 was like a Dyson vacuum cleaner. It really sucked.....

My major health issues. Katie's sister's issues. Katie's constant "caregiver dance", for sister, niece, this Bear. My brother's existence in a wheelchair, never talking, never smiling, no longer aware of anybody or anything. The "thing that lives in the basement" is still there, in no hurry to finish college or work for a living.

I need to eat a whole lot of "good luck" pork on New Year's Day. Maybe that will make for a different life in 2012.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Become a member of Teh 14K Clube.
    Oddball

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Become a member of Teh 14K Clube.
    You are dangerously close, my Ohio River friend. Do Cyburbians do as they do in Colorado.....celebrating 14,000? Or is it 12,000 in that thar state?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    You are dangerously close, my Ohio River friend. Do Cyburbians do as they do in Colorado.....celebrating 14,000? Or is it 12,000 in that thar state?

Bear
    It is 14ers.
    Oddball

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    This morning feels just like yesterday.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    This morning feels just like yesterday.
    indeed it does.
    Oddball

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Iceland travel article from the NY Times:

Warming Up Short Days and Long Nights in Iceland
    Oddball

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Who is in for 2012?
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 77
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 1:01 PM
  2. Replies: 52
    Last post: 31 Jul 2012, 7:19 PM
  3. AICP May 2012
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 44