Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jam of the day

Registered
    Feb 2004

Jam of the day

Take a few minutes each day to listen to some great music.

4/4/12 - Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9Hs3rnd6s
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Nice selection.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I was listening to NIN "Closer" on the way into work today. I will not post the link to the video as neither the song or video is work safe.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I tend to prefer jam over jelly. Raspberry is my favorite.

Registered
    May 2005
    I like rasberry, too. But this morning I liked it even better while I listened to Wilco's "I am Trying to Break your Heart" from Yankee Foxtrot Hotel.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2004
    4/5/12
    Crash by the Primitives (the original 1988 version, not the '95 mix you might have heard in the movie 'Dumb & Dumber')
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    4/5/12
    Crash by the Primitives (the original 1988 version, not the '95 mix you might have heard in the movie 'Dumb & Dumber')
    Excellent, excellent, excellent! Now I need to listen to some Voice of the Beehive...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I saw these guys on Conan the other night and I can't get enough of this song...

Galactic - Hey Na Na http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIKDM_WZvDg

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's a mandatory 12 hour man card suspension for me choosing a show tune, but it's worth it to hear the heavy duty harmony of "Seasons of Love" from the musical 'Rent' (the good part starts to kick in around 1:30)

Registered
    May 2002
    As I'm looking at this thread, I'm listening to "Monsters" by Gothminister on Pandora.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Excellent, excellent, excellent! Now I need to listen to some Voice of the Beehive...
    Man...talk about a couple of chicks with way too much energy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4W0BTFK58
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have a great Pandora station built around the old Boston band "Luna" - great stuff - threw in Zero 7 for a chill feel and The Bird and the Bee so I feel a little hipster

...and I'm more of a marmalade person...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A little Township action

Registered
    Feb 2004

4/7/12

Sweet Jane This time by Phish.

Their take on Sweet Jane is quite the jam, but has anyone else noticed that even though Phish might perform 200 different songs, there's a certain repetitive quality seen when viewing their body of work in the larger sense? Seems every song has one or more outstanding solo 'jam' which consists of cascades and cascades of chromatic scales. I'm not trying to get down on these enormously talented musicians, just pointing out a creative limitation they have (and many other artists as well).

Registered
    Feb 2004
    4/9/12

'Bruise on the Sky' by Nellie McKay

Registered
    Feb 2004
    4/10/12

"Santeria" by Sublime (with annoying 30 second commercial first)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've got the ultimate jam for you. Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry and bassist Tom Hamilton originally played in a band known as the "Jam Band" prior to forming Aerosmith. They would play a lot of blues-rock and would have extended jam sessions. One of the songs they used to play, "Rattlesnake Shake" (a song by the early incarnation of Fleetwood Mac), still gets played at Aerosmith concerts these days. However, it is still more of a rarity. They will only play the song at a handful of shows on a given tour...I've been lucky enough to see them do this though. The performance of this song typically lasts over 10 minutes, with much of the latter half consumed by an extended breakout jam session. It's just awesome to see a band just jam out and kick ass on a song like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QzuSSeGNOI
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A significant song in the evolution of modern music

'Rockit' by Herbie Hancock

Registered
    Feb 2004
    That you can hear it any day of the week on classic rock radio does not diminish the fact that 'Back in the Black' by AC/DC has perhaps the greatest riff in rock history

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Great blues number by Albert Collins "I Ain't Drunk"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    This one has been rattling around my brain for the past few days: Georgia Satellites - Keep your Hands to yourself

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ben E. King "Stand By Me"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bill Witters "Ain't No Sunshine" the original, of course.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "Bohemian like you" by the Dandy Warhols

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast