Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cities with downtown Greenways

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Greensboro, North Carolina (population - 270,000)

Cities with downtown Greenways

Greensboro, North Carolina skyline

Many cities with downtown greenways have greenways that follow rivers or lakes. Greensboro, North Carolina's downtown doesn't have a river or lake but the city is doing something unique. It is constructing an urban greenway loop around downtown. Greensboro is one of the first cities in the United States to construct a loop greenway around its downtown. It is a way to not only attract more downtown development but it connects all the surrounding historic neighborhoods. The second leg just opened this past Sunday. The whole project is about $25 million and will include a long linear park on the eastern leg. Other future amenities include recreational facilities such as an outdoor Jr Olympic pool, gardens, water features and a vegetation maze. The greenway will have a number of pocket parks will be great for walkers, joggers, bicyclists and will connect with the rest of the city's biking trails. The great thing as that building won't have to be demolished to make way for the greenway because for the most part it follows ols railroad lines not in use or large areas that were cleared a way for a failed 1960s freeway loop around downtown. I'm glad the freeway loop project was halted because such loops cut off downtown from surrounding neighborhoods. Cities that have built freeways around their downtowns are realizing that now.

Here are some photos

Greensboro's Downtown Greenway Loop

The second leg of the greenway is now open! The leg is called Morehead Park

photo by downtowngreenway.org

couple enjoying an outdoor artistic bench

I walked on the greenway this morning and took some photos. I got work out just walking the small segment LOL.

All Photos below were taken by me

Here is the new section. They really haven't put in all the plants and flowers yet.

This sculpture lights up at night

A few more greenway shots

(next 4 photos taken by me)

(photo courtesy of Theronorama flickr)

This photo still courtesy of FOX 8 News

All photos below were taken by me

This is the southern leg that opened last year

There were rumors this large green space could become a pond.

Greenway at Fisher Park Apartment under construction on the future northern section of the greenway

House of Jazz across the street

pictures from "99 Blocks" of Sunday's event on the new section of the greenway

(photos courtesy of "99 Blocks")

diagram courtesy of Action Greensboro

sneak peak at the next phase which includes a tall light tower and adjacent park

Last edited by cityboi; 07 May 2012 at 2:09 PM.
    Greensboro, North Carolina -population 270,400 (metro 1.6 million)
    NC's 3rd largest city

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    another photo of part of Greensboro's downtown greenway. (courtesy of downtowngreenway.org)

NC's 3rd largest city

Registered
    Jan 2005
    A Greenway for Greensboro- sounds about right! And keeping the price tag to only $25 million for all those improvements appears to be quite an accomplishment in itself.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How was the funding structured?

How was the ROW accomplished? Did you narrow roads? Rails to Trails? use alleys?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Much of the funding comes from donations and federal dollars. Planners used vacant land for much of the southern segment but there will be a rails to trails section. On the east side of downtown an very under utilized 6 lane road will be narrowed to make way for the greenway on that leg. But I will say this is going to be a very nice greenway for $25 million. It really is a very exciting project. For more information about the greenway go to www.downtowngreenway.org
    NC's 3rd largest city

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by cityboi View post
    Much of the funding comes from donations and federal dollars. Planners used vacant land for much of the southern segment but there will be a rails to trails section. On the east side of downtown an very under utilized 6 lane road will be narrowed to make way for the greenway on that leg. But I will say this is going to be a very nice greenway for $25 million. It really is a very exciting project. For more information about the greenway go to www.downtowngreenway.org
    Thanks, When I compare these to our greenway projects this does seem very cheap (in terms of what we have been able to do these for), its either that or your areas are a lot smaller. Our downtown greenways include the Riverwalk (which is a more of a park/industrial reclaimation project and very costly), the Dequindre Cut, and the Midtown Loop.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    This entire loop will be 4 miles. This does seem to be a great deal. I imagine such a project would be more costly in a large urban area such as Detroit particularly if land had to be purchased. Its funny because some people in Greensboro think $25 million is too much. I think its right on target considering what has already been done and what will be done. There is a perception that this is just a walking path when in fact it will be much more. some sections of this greenway will expand outward and include parks. But the midtown loop project in Detroit looks like a very similar what Greensboro is doing in terms of including public art with themes along the greenway.

BTW Here is another beautiful green space in downtown Greensboro

Center-City Park

Here is a downtown Greensboro alley converted to a public art fountain. I think there are live fish in there.

A little pocket park in downtown Greensboro near the southern leg of the greenway

Last edited by cityboi; 09 May 2012 at 10:01 PM.
    NC's 3rd largest city

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    more photos of Center-City Park in Greensboro

Last edited by cityboi; 09 May 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    NC's 3rd largest city

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Great pics and thanks for sharing (from a former recreational trails planner). I like it all a lot, except maybe for the paint job on the highway pylons. Other than that, a great project!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Great pics and thanks for sharing (from a former recreational trails planner). I like it all a lot, except maybe for the paint job on the highway pylons. Other than that, a great project!
    Thanks! Here are satellite lay overs of future sections of the greenway which includes lane reductions on some roads

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=2136
    NC's 3rd largest city

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Color me jealous! Looks like a wonderful project!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I make it to greensboro often due to its proximity to my current location for training, meetings, etc...I'm always impressed by what is going on there. I love the chicaned streets!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Greensboro looks beautfiul in general.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    It appears that many of the benches and other streeet furniture have tags. I assume they gave folks the opportunity to contribute to the project. That funding could be match with $4 for every dollar raised through the STP Enhancement program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2012
    thanks for the great pictures - have the citizens been involved in the planning process?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by monika_upm View post
    thanks for the great pictures - have the citizens been involved in the planning process?
    Yes the citizens have been very involved with this project. There are many workshops and their input has led to what you see in the pictures.
    NC's 3rd largest city

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 May 2012, 5:16 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Feb 2011, 6:31 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Oct 2006, 1:17 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Sep 2003, 9:08 PM