Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Intentional communities/EcoVillage zoning

Registered
    May 2012

Intentional communities/EcoVillage zoning

I'm looking for examples of zoning ordinances that allow for intentional communities/ecovillages in rural areas from anywhere in US is fine; CA would be fabulous. Would also be interested in experiences anyone has had in creating such zoning designations. Thanks!

Registered
    May 2012

Zoning Ordinance in Canada?

Hi there,

We were the first place in Canada to create something now called ecovillage zoning. We use cohousing for the housing aspect of the ecovillage and we have built that within the special ev zoning. Land was taken out of ALR in order to do this, and took about 4 years.

Not California but I could find you someone to talk to if that would help. What project are you working on?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was going to suggest looking at cohousing, so I am glad to see the previous post. There is another example you might look at, outside of Durango, CO.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia!

Moved the thread to Zoning and Land Use and back, so there would be a redirect in that forum.

Quote Originally posted by indigoa View post
    I'm looking for examples of zoning ordinances that allow for intentional communities/ecovillages in rural areas from anywhere in US is fine; CA would be fabulous. Would also be interested in experiences anyone has had in creating such zoning designations. Thanks!
    There's a ecovillage/cohousing development in a semi-rural area in the community where I work. It's supposedly the oldest such project of its type in the United States.

Our current zoning leaves a lot to be desired. The ecovillage project required PUD zoning, which on the surface isn't too different than what might be seen for a 1970s-style cluster/conservation development; tight groups of shed-style townhouses surrounded by open space, some in agricultural production. Send me an email (cyburbia (at) cyburbia (dot) org) and I'll send you the language. It's not ideal, but it might provide some guidance when you draft your regs.

You can probably expect very frequent amendments as the community grows and evolves. Most recently, the ecovillage here is interested in a small commercial component where residents can sell farm and handicraft products.

Because cohousing relies on consensus for their internal governance, it's important not to get caught up in the community's internal politics.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Take a look at Village Homes in Davis, CA. They began in the mid-'70s and have a wide range of principles that govern development that may be useful.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Take a look at Village Homes in Davis, CA. They began in the mid-'70s and have a wide range of principles that govern development that may be useful.
    IIRC Davis treated that like a PUD. Been a while, but I'm sure if there was zoning emplaced that was the only development in town that got built that way. Might lack the verticality that is fashionable these days, but I like it there a lot and a friend of mine would never move away. You could do a lot worse than Village Homes.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Apr 2010, 2:47 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jun 2008, 7:13 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2007, 3:23 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Sep 2001, 9:51 AM
  5. Zoning for waterfront communities
    Land Use and Zoning